ST1 Elite MPH

• Thread starter Deleted member 3691
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3691

EBR,

Thanks for reading. I have a short window to purchase the ST1 Elite (floor model) for a good price and was wondering if the 3773/5 delimiter codes would get me up to 25 mph with pedal assist?

I ask because my entire trip to work is limited to 25 mph so I can stay more on the road then the sidewalk like I've been doing with my slower bike. 15-20 is just too slow to justify the price but 25+ would work out nicely

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my Stromer Elite 2 years ago. It reaches 24 to 25 mph. You may prefer to hear from others who have bought more recently.

I thought I should add that, for me, my Stromer easily reaches 22 mph and maintains that speed easily. To reach and maintain 24-25 mph takes more effort.

Please note, I am not a person who pushes the envelope on ebikes. I am happy with 18-22. Each of us have different needs and wants.

The quality of the Stromer is very good and I appreciate the stealth nature of it.

Thanks Wilcox I'm fine with more effort at 25 mph as long as I get a little assist. My current bike BESV PS1 just shuts off completely after 16mph and my quads instantly start to burn as the pedal effort becomes more difficult then a non e-bike. I asked the manufacture for a solution but they are sticklers

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to ask, so you modified the setting 3773/5 in order to assist past 20 mph?

Thanks Wilcox I'm fine with more effort at 25 mph as long as I get a little assist. My current bike BESV PS1 just shuts off completely after 16mph and my quads instantly start to burn as the pedal effort becomes more difficult then a non e-bike. I asked the manufacture for a solution but they are sticklers
The elite requires a lot of assist to maintain 25 mph. The power level tapers off heavily past 20 mph (I think the stromer power vs speed assist curvers are buried in this forum somewhere). The elite's sweet spot is in the 21-22 mph range. I changed around all the codes and no setting increased the top speed, even the one that is supposed to do exactly that.

If you want to go 25mph, you should look into getting the platinum. The platinum's sweet spot is more in the 25-26 mph range.

The elite and Platinum are very different. You should only get the elite if you want torque. If you want to go fast, the platinum is what you want. If you buy the elite and want to go 25 mph, I'd bet my hat you'll be disappointed.

I just bought a 2015 elite and it easily can reach 25+ mph BUT in order to maintain a 25 mph speed you have to use a lot of energy to keep that speed there.

Great thanks for the help. I'm 150 lbs and built so maybe I can maintain that speed. Would you say the assist at that speed is a 1? Because my max speed on my BESV is 27 mph in a full out race sprint and feels like I'm towing a stroller with two children

On flat surfaces yes you could maintain that but I don't know how far you have to travel but you won't feel like your pulling any weight the bikes assist is terrific, but your pedal speed will be really fast because the elite only has one sprocket in the front. Like Gus said earlier probably the platinum would be better any maintaining that speed because of the 3 chain rings in the front

I tried both the elite and platinum before I bought the elite but I don't mind riding in the 23 to 25 mph range with little effort. With the platinum bike the 27 speed gears is really useless because the assist is so good on these bikes I just wish that they would have put a bigger tooth sprocket on the front. I'd say the front sprocket is alittle bigger than the middle chainring on a conventional mountain bike

This isn't the exact graph that I was referring to but it's close. Attached is the torque VS speed curves for the various Stromer models (note the units are metric). The Elite (Mountain 33) motor assist degrades rapidly beyond 20 mph and pretty much has no power assist beyond 24 mph. The Platinum (Power 48) will assist up to 28-30 mph.

I think your best bet is just to take the Elite at the shop for an extended test ride and draw your own opinion based on your fitness level. Go ahead and mess with the 3773 code on the test ride (it didn't change anything for me). The torque on the Elite is pretty exciting and I consider it a great bike but it's no speed demon.

Attachments

• stromernm.jpg
    stromernm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Back