Squeeeeekey disk brakes

E biker

Region
USA
Is their a way to quiet them? New bike ,new to disk brakes, any way to quiet them? I was told basically no by a bike shop.

Try cleaning them with acetone and alcohol. Is there any rubbing that is spotty or periodic? A piece of foil tape can be added to the back of the pads to prevent transmission of the vibrations from being amplified inside the forks.

Bike shop rep you talked to is either an idiot/uninformed (typical) or he's lazy. To be as clear as possible, I am NOT a fan of shops as there are way too many people working in them that share one or both traits!

In my experience, if the brakes are making noise full time, it's because there's a pad dragging. Those can be adjusted with a little patience so the pad is close,but not touching. Plenty of YouTube videos for guidance on the topic if you wish.

If only squeeling when applying brakes, pads made from harder materials need to be broken in properly. If you've been that route without success, there are other pads available that are softer (non-metallic) that won't have this issue, or worst case, it won't be nearly as bad. More YouTube videos available here as well. Non metallic pads still give pretty decent pad life. Don't be too concerned there...

Thanks been busy riding, purchased a product to stop squeel,it helped,the pads may be to close, thanks A, I have heard them slightly rubbing while riding.

If they're REALLY squealing loud, it's likely the pads are junk or fouled. I mean painfully loud.

Anything that's oil or other lubricant based you need to be careful spraying around the pads. They're porous and will soak up the oil like a sponge. I've heard tell of people getting the mineral oil used in the hydraulic lines on the pads accidentally, and instantly they're junk you have to throw away.

Thus if you have disk brakes you don't go hosing down your drivetrain with WD-40. NOT that one should use WD-40 since it's a cleaner not an oil, but I know people who do that out of ignorance. Like my father 40 years ago.

Anything like that got on your pads, you need new pads and no amount of cleaning the rotors is gonna fix that. It can really soak in too so that no amount of sanding, burnishing, or cleaning can fix it. Though I've heard of some people getting results by covering them in alcohol and lighting it on fire. Seems a bit desperate to me for a $10-$20 part.

It might be new, but if your LBS is incompetent (like mine) they might have screwed it up. It's why whenever someone says "just go to your local bike shop" I tend to respond with expletives.

I have heard them slightly rubbing while riding.
Usually if it's an on-off rubbing sound, the rotors aren't flat. A rotor trueing tool and a pair of rubber nosed pliers (or regular pliers with a rubber sheet so you don't damage the rotor) to bend them back can work wonders on that.

My front rotor got whacked by something out riding and I had to true it.

As I just said I don't trust my LBS, so I keep investing in all the tools to DIY. They're well meaning but... no. Just no.

Maybe you just need to re-center the rotors. We fixed a squeak and rubbing sound on one of our household bikes by doing that. Only took a few minutes.

Back