squealing noise while pedaling 500 series

Sounds completely normal...thats just the motor gears inside winding up when you are moving the wheel, motor sounds are normal and can/will change over time.

Doesn't sound normal to me. Should basically be silent with no power going to the motor. What does Ride1Up say?

Sounds completely normal...thats just the motor gears inside winding up when you are moving the wheel, motor sounds are normal and can/will change over tim
So this is normal? The internal gears make noise when I pedal, with the motor off?

Been talking to Ride1Up support. Initially, they suggested that nothing was wrong, that the noise was from the motor's internal gear. I responded with another video below, which was recorded indoors without wind noise, and you can clearly hear a pretty annoying, piercing squeal whenever the pedaling are rotating. They responded and asked me to check my brakes and drop some oil into the rear hub axle area. Brakes were not rubbing, but dropping some lube into the axle area next to the smallest cassette cog solved the issue. Now everything is good. I'm impressed with Ride1Up's support team, they are pretty responsive and quick with their email responses.

Yes, I had exact same issue! I’m concerned that if the manufacturer didn’t even bother to spin the wheels as part of their QA, what else did they skip? Are other parts properly greased or lubed?

Yes, I had exact same issue! I’m concerned that if the manufacturer didn’t even bother to spin the wheels as part of their QA, what else did they skip? Are other parts properly greased or lubed?
This is why I had my bike shipped to my LBS to be assembled. I would rather pay $100 to have at least peace of mind that mechanically everything is tip top.

This is why I had my bike shipped to my LBS to be assembled. I would rather pay $100 to have at least peace of mind that mechanically everything is tip top.

A lot of people dont take that into account, an ebike is NOT the same as a regular bike. You are going speeds up to 28mph, which are nearly impossible to maintain like on an ebike consistently. When you are moving that fast (it seems slow in a car, but its FAST) parts and installation needs to be precise, maintained, and well taken care of...otherwise one day you are out on the ebike going 25mph something snaps and you get hurt, pretty damn bad.

Probably pretty good piece of mind for a 100 bucks. Probably the best part is that you don't have to deal with all the debris and cardboard after assembly!! ;)

A lot of people dont take that into account, an ebike is NOT the same as a regular bike. You are going speeds up to 28mph, which are nearly impossible to maintain like on an ebike consistently. When you are moving that fast (it seems slow in a car, but its FAST) parts and installation needs to be precise, maintained, and well taken care of...otherwise one day you are out on the ebike going 25mph something snaps and you get hurt, pretty damn bad.
Even on a regular bike I would have a shop do a safety check if I did not buy it from them.

Back