Speed Sensor

Steve's 3412

Region
USA
I have Specialized Turbo Creo SL one for me and the wife. We travel and one question of where we stop is based on bicycle riding opportunities. We ride Rails to Trails which can be crushed stone or paved. I am in process of looking into have a set a rims made for the bikes and I can put gravel tires on them. If we ride gravel Rails to Trails I can just put the gravel tire/rim on them, a quick change over. Just to make sure I am not causing myself problems. Where is the speed sensor for the assist? How does it read 28MPH to stop the assist?

You haven't noticed that magnet on one of the spokes on the back tire? The assist is actually a torque sensor in the motor. The speed sensor is on the chain stay with a magnet on the spoke.

I saw the magnet on the rear rotor. Could not figure out the other half. Where is the part that the magnet talks to, or the other sensor.

Performance Bicycle sells the magnet.

It would have to be on or in the frame where the magnet can pass by it. Since I don't have a Spec I can't give you any better info.

Maybe another SL owner will chime in. I think @mschwett keeps multiple wheelsets for his bike, he can probably clarify.

It would have to be on or in the frame where the magnet can pass by it. Since I don't have a Spec I can't give you any better info.

Maybe another SL owner will chime in. I think @mschwett keeps multiple wheelsets for his bike, he can probably clarify.

It's tucked in the frame.

Regarding special rim for riding rougher trails. My stock SL have handled anything I've thrown at them. Including light mountain bike trails and no problem. One set of wheels is really all you need imo.

It's tucked in the frame.

Regarding special rim for riding rougher trails. My stock SL have handled anything I've thrown at them. Including light mountain bike trails and no problem. One set of wheels is really all you need imo.
one set of wheels, maybe! but two sets of tires opens up a lot of possibilities. it’s very suboptimal to long road rides on big knobby tires, but those are the ticket for rocky singletrack and even some kinds of “gravel.”

i have 42mm knobby tires on my stock rims, and 28mm smooth road tires on a set of carbon rims. each has a speed sensor magnet (a cheap part) and the swap takes maybe 3-5 min. very much easier than two bikes 😅

one set of wheels, maybe! but two sets of tires opens up a lot of possibilities. it’s very suboptimal to long road rides on big knobby tires, but those are the ticket for rocky singletrack and even some kinds of “gravel.”

i have 42mm knobby tires on my stock rims, and 28mm smooth road tires on a set of carbon rims. each has a speed sensor magnet (a cheap part) and the swap takes maybe 3-5 min. very much easier than two bikes 😅

I like 38's. A good compromise. Worst case is pure sand and I admit it's tricky. But the 38's are awesome for road and handle gravel with aplomb. The Pathfinder Sports that come with the SL are great. They have a bead that runs pavement beautifully but have a good, course side tread which works fine for stones/gravel. And even a bit of MTB'ing. :)

I like 38's. A good compromise. Worst case is pure sand and I admit it's tricky. But the 38's are awesome for road and handle gravel with aplomb. The Pathfinder Sports that come with the SL are great. They have a bead that runs pavement beautifully but have a good, course side tread which works fine for stones/gravel. And even a bit of MTB'ing. :)

a good compromise for sure, and very capable off road in the hands of a skilled rider (which i am not off road LOL.)

i mostly ride with the motor off, and the roughly 50% higher rolling resistance on pavement plus double the weight per tire :eek: makes a big difference.

a good compromise for sure, and very capable off road in the hands of a skilled rider (which i am not off road LOL.)

i mostly ride with the motor off, and the roughly 50% higher rolling resistance on pavement plus double the weight per tire :eek: makes a big difference.
That's too bad in a way. You're missing one of the big advantages of an eBike which is weight doesn't matter nearly as much and you can choose the best components based on what you want and need as opposed to how many grams you're adding.

That's too bad in a way. You're missing one of the big advantages of an eBike which is weight doesn't matter nearly as much and you can choose the best components based on what you want and need as opposed to how many grams you're adding.
to each their own - i rely heavily on the main advantage of an eBike, which is power without corresponding exertion. crucial for quick commutes in a hilly city, hauling kids to school up 20% grades, and those long rides that just got a bit tougher than expected. but i prefer the feeling of a light bike with no motor for a pleasure/fitness ride. they all have their place!

Back