Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

Great idea. I have a cadence meter that I can pair with my Garmin, and maybe the Mission Control app.

That would be my guess too. Cadence is king (way more so than torque) in climbing with an SL. Have you tried climbing with a lower gear that would allow you to spin faster and more consistently?

Took the Vado SL 5.0 for a 26 mile ride today in the Santa Cruz area with around 2000 feet of climbing with some grades 10 to 15%. The steeper ones were shorter, but there were a couple of sustained climbs. Overall, I was happy with the bike. It handles very well, pretty much like a regular road bike, and that is what I wanted. However, I ended up using Sport mode (2nd level) and Turbo quite a lot and that sucked up battery charge big time. At the end of the ride, I had 40% battery left. It was a bit disappointing, but I am a 71 year old woman who hasn't ridden in almost a year. As I ride more, I will get better. That said, the biggest problem I had was using turbo mode up the hills, or when I just wanted an extra boost. The motor would regularly pause and cut out on me while climbing, then kick in again. It didn't cause the bike to be jerky, but it was very disconcerting. I checked with the bike shop and they thought that I wasn't pedaling fast enough or hard enough and when that happens the motor will slow down or pause. Assuming this is true, I think this is a downside of the bike. None of the other levels did this (Eco and Sport were fine), just the Turbo mode. This aspect was very disappointing. I also have a Levo emtb and the motor does not do that. Has anyone else had that experience on the Vado SL?
I have a Creo, a Vado and a Levo and the Creo is, like your Vado SL, an e bike you have to ride much like a regular bike so when your cadence goes below a certain point, the power falls off a cliff. It does require adapting to that and getting to lower gears earlier for hills so you can keep your cadence up whereas the Vado and Levo can be muscled up hills at a much lower cadence.
Once I learned that, I could climb hills pretty well but I imagine a long and fairly steep hill will be a challenge to keep spinning fast enough but it is also the only e bike where standing for short bursts is more effective than on my others.

I've had my Vado SL 4.0 EQ for about a week now. I'm really having fun with it. I can do my 18 mile lake trail loop in 55 minutes, get home and take a shower, and be ready for work at 8:30. It's a good workout. I'm 50 and in decent analog biking shape. But with this bike, I can go 5-6 mph faster and blast down Chicago's busy roads to get to the trail. On the trail, I don't have to worry anymore about the speed demons coming up behind me. I can also load up my bike with tools and accessories and not feel like it's slowing me down. I like Tour mode the best and sustaining 20 mph. It does run through the battery though (around 40% in an hour). I did a 40 mile trip last weekend and ran out of juice in the last few miles. I might need to play with the settings or go into Eco mode to get more range. $500 for a range extender which I've heard doesn't give you 50% more range is a hard pill to swallow. I ordered a $350 Redshift suspension system (stem and seat post) ... I'll update with my thoughts on that later.

IMG_0515.jpg

What have you heard about the range extender? It gives less than 50% more range? It's 50% of the size of the main battery isn't it?

I ordered a $350 Redshift suspension system (stem and seat post) ... I'll update with my thoughts on that later.

View attachment 58263
[/QUOTE]
I too, am looking at the Redshift stem. I would be curious as to how you remount your front light after installing.

What have you heard about the range extender? It gives less than 50% more range? It's 50% of the size of the main battery isn't it?
I suppose that could be the case if riding in Turbo mode AND you have Mission Control set to discharge the Range Extender battery first. When the battery discharges (below 20%) it starts to cut back on assist and eventually limits to Eco levels of assist. Using just the internal battery, should be able to go Turbo for the first 50% discharge with no noticeable loss in assist.

I have a range extender and ride mostly in 30/100 eco like assist levels with the Range Extender set to discharge first. I can really feel the drop in assist levels when the Range Extender is at the lower charge levels if it happens and I happen to be climbing. For sure when in Turbo mode at low voltage levels the reduced assist is very noticeable.

My only wish for the Vado SL--a step-through frame. That way, my wife would have one too.

Same situation here. This bike would be perfect for my wife if it was a bit more feminine. I’d buy this tomorrow in a low step. Would be amazing to ride together for a change.

I've had my Vado SL 4.0 EQ for about a week now. I'm really having fun with it. I can do my 18 mile lake trail loop in 55 minutes, get home and take a shower, and be ready for work at 8:30. It's a good workout. I'm 50 and in decent analog biking shape. But with this bike, I can go 5-6 mph faster and blast down Chicago's busy roads to get to the trail. On the trail, I don't have to worry anymore about the speed demons coming up behind me. I can also load up my bike with tools and accessories and not feel like it's slowing me down. I like Tour mode the best and sustaining 20 mph. It does run through the battery though (around 40% in an hour). I did a 40 mile trip last weekend and ran out of juice in the last few miles. I might need to play with the settings or go into Eco mode to get more range. $500 for a range extender which I've heard doesn't give you 50% more range is a hard pill to swallow. I ordered a $350 Redshift suspension system (stem and seat post) ... I'll update with my thoughts on that later.

View attachment 58263
Really good looking bike :cool: !

Definitely play with the settings on Mission Control. I'm your same age and probably a bit less in analog-bike shape (long hiatus for me riding analog) and I have found that I ride quite a bit with 0% assist on the SL and the bulk in ECO, which I have dialed down to 25-40% in Mission Control. Of course, I dial up to 100% assist quite regularly with San Francisco hills in every direction.

In Chicago flatlands, I'd bet you can increase your battery efficiency 20-30% with a little tweaking of Mission Control and experimentation in dialing in the amount of assist that works best for you. Plus, it's fun to try that, before springing for the extender.

For reference, my last 18-mile ride, where I used Turbo extensively (in 1300' of climbing) only clocked in at about 38% battery usage over 1.5 hours and an average of 66% assist.

Has anyone in their late 60’s thought the Vado SL needed to be just a little more upright and added a 3” stem extender? Did adding an extender help? I’m a long term Sirrus Sport rider and short term(1,300 miles) Como 4.0 rider.

Has anyone in their late 60’s thought the Vado SL needed to be just a little more upright and added a 3” stem extender? Did adding an extender help? I’m a long term Sirrus Sport rider and short term(1,300 miles) Como 4.0 rider.
I’m over 70 and I am considering an extender if other simpler changes don’t further help with the effects of pressure on my wrists and hands from leaning over. In other words, I’m mostly comfortable with the position but am dealing with hand position and grip that are causing discomfort. I m looking at Ergo grips to see if they’ll help.

not a direct answer, but you are not alone in your concern.

Out of curiosity, did you have a professional fitting or just the ”adjust the seat” typical of an LBS. I’m thinking that a fitting might be worth the cost rather than doing a bunch of trial and error testing of products that usually can’t be returned. It might ultimately be less expensive and time consuming.

Of course, spending time testing can be lots of fun.

My LBS fitted me for my current Sirrus and Como. They have a medium Vado SL 4.0 coming in soon for a test ride. He has mentioned using a stem extender. Was wondering if anyone has tried that.

Copyrider - thanks for your informative posts on riding and equip strategies for the Vado SL. I got a 2021 5.0 EQ SL Vado yesterday and am truly looking forward to mastering the ride. Lived in SF in grad school and can visualize your rides :) I have a small size and we ordered a redshift shockstop seat post but after reading post here don't think it will work in my small. I emailed redshift for clarification. But I'll take a look at your kinekt as an alternative. Am also waiting on a Jones 2.5 high rise bar, and will get cables re-run. And the Shimano PD-EH500 SPD pedals. Are you still using the stock tires? I was planning to have them changed to 38 tubeless. Wondering if you have used tubeless and what your thoughts are. Please keep adding your posts they are very helpful.

The motor would regularly pause and cut out on me while climbing, then kick in again. It didn't cause the bike to be jerky, but it was very disconcerting. I checked with the bike shop and they thought that I wasn't pedaling fast enough or hard enough and when that happens the motor will slow down or pause. Assuming this is true, I think this is a downside of the bike. None of the other levels did this (Eco and Sport were fine), just the Turbo mode. This aspect was very disappointing. I also have a Levo emtb and the motor does not do that. Has anyone else had that experience on the Vado SL?

Have you tried downshifting? My Como 5.0 seems to cycle in and out
when my cadence gets below 50 while going uphill. Problem disappears when I shift to lower gears.

Had a Sunlite multi-fit threadless adjustable stem 1 1/8” put on my Sirrus today for a small upright adjustment which seemed to help and will do the same for Vado SL 4.0 when it gets in. LBS says the TCD wireless are sold out, maybe for the year and they are not even taking back orders for them(really liked knowing % of battery life left on the Como 4.0). Are the 10 bars of battery life fairly accurate?

Back