Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

She seems to be riding just fine with short legs, even could lower the seat some if she needed. 🤭
She has no testicles to bang on the top tube. The standover height is the key (770 mm for the size S). My own standover height is 770 mm, and what if someone is 750 mm?

Last edited:
No bike will fit everyone and personal preferences differ. Still this bike is bringing something(a light weight 34-37lbs , well designed, everyday urban bike for a very attractive price) that the other brands/models don't and it is very unfair to compare it to a bike like verve+.

Verve + 3 is a no-suspension, 20 mph limited, heavy bike with entry level components like alivio 9 speed derailleur and $3K is way too much money for such a bike.

This on the other hand is a well designed, truly light ebike.

No bike will fit everyone and personal preferences differ. Still this bike is bringing something(a light weight 34-37lbs , well designed, everyday urban bike for a very attractive price) that the other brands/models don't and it is very unfair to compare it to a bike like verve+.

Verve + 3 is a no-suspension, 20 mph limited, heavy bike with entry level components like alivio 9 speed derailleur and $3K is way too much money for such a bike.

This on the other hand is a well designed, truly light ebike.
As I said before, the buyers for the SL can be easily found. I am overly critical, true. I still believe the full Vado (Class 3) is the king of the class. OK, Allant+ 9.9S is the strong competitor. I might even add that dual-battery Class 1 R&M bikes are long range runners, even though the Homage 2 x 500 W ridden by an experienced user reaches 150 but not 160 km (I have asked the rider).

Only don't tell me a pannier-loaded SL rider will make 100 miles on the small battery + the extender.

Last edited:
As I said before, the buyers for the SL can be easily found. I am overly critical, true. I still believe the full Vado (Class 3) is the king of the class. OK, Allant+ 9.9S is the strong competitor. I might even add that dual-battery R&M bikes are long range runners, even though the Homage 2 x 500 W ridden by an experienced user reaches 150 but not 160 km (I have asked the rider).

Only don't tell me a pannier-loaded SL rider will make 100 miles on the small battery + the extender.

I don't believe SL is designed to be a touring bike. It is more of a nice urban/fitness bike that I would want to take out and enjoy with little assistance when I need while not burdened by the heavy weight.

I also am not sure about the definition of classes here but I don't think 9.9S competes for anything other than being another overpriced ebike(no-suspension bike with a mtb drivetrain and a carbon frame that weights over 52 pounds). Even looking beyond the weight, SL for example has an elegant handlebar suspension while 9.9s doesn't. Allant 7 and 8 are far better options compared to it.

If we are talking about touring bikes I would say RM's offerings are ahead right now with their full suspension + rohloff offerings. These make a very big difference in capability and comfort of the bikes for riding long distances.

One thing overlooked by most of participants of this thread is the frame design. Nothing for short legged people there. I can only guess Specialized would follow up with the step-through version in the next iteration.
Jeez @Stefan Mikes , it’s like you don’t even read my posts. 😥

High step was the first “miss” on my list of SL no thank yous. See post #25 above. I’m tall enough I suppose, but high steps don’t appeal to me. We’re not making bikes out of bamboo anymore; modern step throughs are not flex fests.

Jeez @Stefan Mikes , it’s like you don’t even read my posts. 😥
@Phyz, I'm sorry if you think so. I'm reading your posts. I was just broken with the story of @sparked who would be more than happy to buy the Vado SL if not the high-step frame. Yet as I mentioned you in this thread, I have of course read your reply, be assured!

Mahle developed this motor for them, I believe.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I don’t see much information or history about this motor, or of any other manufacturers using it
Is it up to the task in terms of realiability and performance
Appreciate most of the design and functional elements, but the deal breaker for me is that the battery is not easily removable (without dropping the motor) for charging off the bike

I don’t see much information or history about this motor, or of any other manufacturers using it
Specialized took the decision to not to reveal the manufacturer name first. Taken into account the good press the Creos and Levo SL's are getting, I wouldn't be afraid of the motor.

This youtube review has had 27K views in six hours at the time of this posting. It looks like Specialized trying to appeal to a broader and younger market.
iJustine has about 2 million subscribers and is what most schoolchildren aspire to be when they ... I was going to say “grow up,” but let’s switch that “graduate middle school”: a YouTube Influencer.

The young people of today consider iJustine to be sitting on top of the world.

The only publicity of greater value might be an appearance of the bike on “Keeping Up With The Kardasians,” but I doubt Specialized can afford that kind of product placement.

Appreciate most of the design and functional elements, but the deal breaker for me is that the battery is not easily removable (without dropping the motor) for charging off the bike
I know I've seen Mahle come up a few times in past searches for my next e-bike. Don't some of the Orbea bikes use a Mahle rear hub motor (IIRC it's called the ebikemotion motor)?

There's some similarity between this and the internet sales only flx "Babymaker" (terrible, but memorable name). They've put a bunch of money into Facebook ads and
appear to be getting something of a response. They're definitely marketing to a younger crowd.

the flx weighs 32 pounds and has a Gates belt drive for $1369 or so, but exchanges that for limited range and single gear.

Personally, I'm happy to see different sorts of e-bikes hitting the market. I don't currently have much use for a cargo bike, but it's one category where e-versions make
a lot of sense. Folding e-bikes also make a lot of sense and I think recumbent e-bikes are really interesting if you want to take advantage of 28 mph speeds . I'm not younger, but have almost never gone out of eco in 700 miles on my current e-bike and I've never used turbo. There are lots of occasions when I might even prefer pedaling on my own; I sometimes make a point of riding the first 3-4 miles of my ride without power. If you have to carry your bike upstairs everyday, it's also great to have a bike in the 30 pound range.
Right now, the American e-bike market feels a bit like an AARP convention. I think whatever broadens the appeal will help to push the technology forward.

fwiw, I'm not sure that modern e-bikes need to be that intent on looking like regular bikes. Battery range and exchangeability is going to be limited if they insist on hiding the battery in the seat tube or downtube. I'd
much rather have something that I can charge anywhere, replace easily, and travel farther on. The battery and motor are integral parts of the e-bike; instead of hiding them, designers should be looking at ways to position and shape the two so they can be most efficient in all senses. My guess is that it'll be much like cars. In the first 15 years of the automobile, they kept trying to make them look and work
like carriages. For example rear wheel or all wheel drive don't make sense for something drawn by horses. I suspect that the best form for a vehicle that combines an electric motor with pedal power, might look quite different from a conventional bicycle. It very well might call for a format with something other than two wheels and we might be looking at more than one motor or one type of motor. I even think the theft issue is better solved via solutions that aren't centered on hiding the fact that your e-bike is an e-bike: removeable displays, alarms, cameras, gps, encoding battery and motor, etc.

Last edited:

I found this video comparison of the Vado and the Vado SL, and I found it interesting. Given I ride in Eco about 90% of the time I'm not looking for more power in the motor. But I would like a bigger battery. It occurred to me that if Specialized made a cross between the two bikes that's what I'd want. Say the SL motor with a 480 wh battery and removable if possible. I mean the extender battery only weighs 2.2 lbs, doesn't it? I'd take another 2.2 lbs, to get a bigger stock battery.

If I had that battery on my Creo then I'd be able to taunt my roadie buddies on our rides :) - I'd probably be able to do a ride in Sport for 100 km's pretty easily and could even be using turbo a reasonable amount. Oh that would be good for a few laughs, though I suppose it would only be funny the first couple of times then it would get old and just annoy them. Ok, maybe not the greatest idea after all.

Mahle is known for it's "ebikemotion" series of motors.

But for Vado and Creo SL, Specialized worked closely with Mahle to develop a brand new motor system that is exclusive to Specialized. This is not found on any other bike and perhaps their agreement would bar them from selling it to other OEM for a few years until they recoup their investment. I am sure that is almost ~$1-2 M or something in that ballpark figure.

For someone in the US or AUS, it may not make sense but if you lived in London or Berlin or Paris or Amsterdam ... some densely populated city, you would think 34 lb S-pedelec e-bike is a blessing.
You can simply bring it inside without worrying about locking it up, removing the battery etc.
To put it in context, 34 lbs is like the weight of a small dog and that's doable even for petite ladies.

1589385969302.png

Ravi, love that picture of the dogs. Hilarious way to put it in context!

btw - Your estimate of what Specialized spent on R&D for the motor. As you're much more in tune with the industry than the vast majority of us, I'm wondering how you came up with the $1M to $2M. Understand if you can't share, but if you're able I'd be interested to know.

but if you lived in London or Berlin or Paris or Amsterdam ... some densely populated city, you would think 34 lb S-pedelec e-bike is a blessing.
The best comment in this thread!

But Ravi, it won't be Class 3 in Europe. The EU requirements are not met on this bike. Where is the registration plate support?

Back