Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I've used Shimano CN-E8000-11, a definitely e-bike chain ;) Because I could! :D
I may need to change to the CN-E8000-11 chain as well if the chain length calculator is wrong about my needing 126 links for my pending gearing change! I've found the CN-E8000 chains to be available in lengths up to 138 links. That's a lot of chain!

I was curious, the chain on my vado and como are the same length at 124 links. The chainstay for the como is 485, for the vado is 478. Same drivetrain otherwise.

So NtC. Not that Critical for length.

So, I'm ready to get the CN-E8000-11/138 link chain, and cut as required when old chain is removed to validate length.
However, "directional" as in?
(specs)

The Shimano CN-E8000 11-speed e-bike chain is designed for Steps e-bike drive units and withstands the higher loads. SIL-TEC coated inner plates and chrome-reinforced outer plates ensure high durability.

Details:
· 116 or 138 links
· Compatible with 11-speed HG-X
· SIL-TEC coated inner plates
· Chrome-reinforced outer plates
· Directional
· Incl. Quick Link (not reusable)

A plastic friendly contact cleaner on the battery and frame mounted power connectors can go a long way to resolving many of these spurious errors. My Vado dropped power and displayed a motor error early on, but not since cleaning the contacts.
Well you would think I'd have learned after 41 years of flying. When in doubt, read the manual. It's the coin CR1220 battery in the TCD that's dying. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Changing the battery dumps everything in the TCD, even the Mission Control pairing.🤪

Well you would think I'd have learned after 41 years of flying. When in doubt, read the manual. It's the coin CR1220 battery in the TCD that's dying. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Changing the battery dumps everything in the TCD, even the Mission Control pairing.🤪
Did not know that. Doesn't sound like the best approach. Specialized, I do hope you're absorbing all the valuable feedback on these threads...🤣

re: "Specialized, I do hope you're absorbing all the valuable feedback on these threads..."

You mean there is someone there? They don't even answer the phone!

I'd love to see how their business 'resumes' after Covid. Just sayin'

And yes, Brendon, I do understand the value of a LBS, but there are not too may as good as you seem to be and it's almost like finding that perfect diamond in the rough if you catch my drift, so at times it would be nice to interface with those at the helm.

re: "Specialized, I do hope you're absorbing all the valuable feedback on these threads..."

And yes, Brendon, I do understand the value of a LBS, but there are not too may as good as you seem to be and it's almost like finding that perfect diamond in the rough if you catch my drift, so at times it would be nice to interface with those at the helm.

It's 2020, even I don't have a phone number for "tech support." You submit a claim and it's answered faster and more efficiently Same deal when I was a GM at a motorcycle dealership. BMW, KTM, Husqvarna, Triumph, Kawasaki, and Ducati don't have numbers to call. Granted they have outside service field rep or "aftersales reps" which you can call, everything is either email or submitted through dealer portal

Yeah I agree Here I spend almost $4000 at the place . Yet nobody even held the door open or helped me load the Bike : Or explained anything at all. I've found if you want answers you have to get on friendly terms with The Shops Mechanics > Which isn't always possible with how some of these places are setup.

If I owned a LBS and someone bought a Bike at any Price : I'd at least help him Load it up to transport home:

Yes, this is the strange new world we live in. Although there are many great LBS's, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. And when found, if everyone else found the very same "good one", then it's stacked wait times, as well as a host of other issues associated with want to use the best available dealer.
There is no magic answer. It seems like as we progress in society there are more of these types of scenarios associated with almost any type of business.
Makes me wonder if it will become the new "norm" after the dust settles.
As long as I (and others) can do the minimal maintenance necessary and only rely on the LBS for those tough to tackle problems (if ever), I think most also should do well.

But shifting gears here a moment; if the sale is made, most people rarely come back unless there is a problem or they cannot do things themselves. Also, if the problem is user created and not due to a manufacturing or warranty issue, then the customer has to pay for the 'fix', right? Sure, lots of happy customers revisit to buy accessories, and even more bikes. But my point is if a LBS has to solely rely on sales of bikes (#1), sales of accessories (#2), sales of service related items (#3), the ability to stay in business is tough. Lots of LBS'es are riding the wave right now, but when the surge is over, who remains, which are the "good ones" and how the parent company of the bike manufacturers decide to move forward as a business model is key. A lot of different businesses are realizing that the Covid pandemic has created an entire new way of doing business....some like the new way, others don't. We shall see as it all shakes out.

If I owned a LBS and someone bought a Bike at any Price : I'd at least help him Load it up to transport home:
My experience with the Giant LBS has been they always helped me get my bike into the car, was that during the purchase or after each servicing... But that LBS is claimed to be the best LBS in Warsaw of all of them.

Last edited:
There are a couple of LBS here in the Stockholm area that offer 1 year or 2 years of free adjustments to the bicycle you buy. I think there is one that includes lifetime basic adjustments.
E.g. adjusting shifters or brakes and general check up. Last time I got a checkup I needed a new chain. I was charged for the chain but no labour cost.
This included service brings the customers back to the shop and a possibility to sell some bike gear.

Last edited:
Yes, this is the strange new world we live in. Although there are many great LBS's, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. And when found, if everyone else found the very same "good one", then it's stacked wait times, as well as a host of other issues associated with want to use the best available dealer.
There is no magic answer. It seems like as we progress in society there are more of these types of scenarios associated with almost any type of business.
As long as I (and others) can do the minimal maintenance necessary and only rely on the LBS for those tough to tackle problems (if ever), I think most also should do well.

But shifting gears here a moment; if the sale is made, most people rarely come back unless there is a problem or they cannot do things themselves. Also, if the problem is user created and not due to a manufacturing or warranty issue, then the customer has to pay for the 'fix', right? Sure, lots of happy customers revisit to buy accessories, and even more bikes. But my point is if a LBS has to solely rely on sales of bikes (#1), sales of accessories (#2), sales of service related items (#3), the ability to stay in business is tough. Lots of LBS'es are riding the wave right now, but when the surge is over, who remains, which are the "good ones" and how the parent company of the bike manufacturers decide to move forward as a business model is key. A lot of different businesses are realizing that the Covid pandemic has created an entire new way of doing business....some like the new way, others don't. We shall see as it all shakes out.
IMO it seems that Many these days Way more then in the past . Are all about Loving themselves and the Hell With You > So those LBS or whatever it happens to be that still value you stand out more then in teh past. If the dust Settles that probably won't change :

Most today are selfish lovers of Self

HEY did the KLICKFIX UniClip WORK ON YOUR RACK ???

I did not try it on my bike, I tried it on my wife's Townie Commute, worked PERFECTLY there. However, going to try it next on my Vado tomorrow, and if it does, will order another one (have a 10% discount card with 1st one, use code VeloFred :)

I did not try it on my bike, I tried it on my wife's Townie Commute, worked PERFECTLY there. However, going to try it next on my Vado tomorrow, and if it does, will order another one (have a 10% discount card with 1st one, use code VeloFred :)
Works great for me on teh Vado RackTime : Good Luck. Yeah I had the discount But forgot to use it : That Place seems like they are fast shipping . At least my experience was

Was trying to think of a good bike song the other day and came up with this classic. Some of our overseas friends may not be familiar with him. Enjoy.

The first time I heard this song was at the Newport Folk Festival in 1967 when Arlo Guthrie was introduced by Pete Seeger as an important new star. Arlo is Woody Guthrie’s son, so not unknown to that audience.

Arlo started with Alice’s Restaurant and then the Motorcycle song. He made an indelible impression and a great time was had by all.

have some good anachronistic laughs.

Back