Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Friends,

Turbo Vado As A Climber

It seems a lot of posts missed me here. I need to tell you several observations I made on our 85 km / 1500 m elevation gain (53 mi / 4900 ft) ride on last Saturday.

I rode the 2017 Vado 5.0 (a 2020 Vado 6.0 equivalent). The gearing ratio there is 46/48 = 0.958. The 1.2s motor has 90 Nm @ 520 W. Therefore, the torque at wheel is 90 * 0.958 = 86 Nm.

Now, I have measured the grade at the worst uphill ride segment: It was 12% sharp. The Vado, ridden at the granny gear and under full Turbo (and my weak legs) hardly overcame that incline but it did. While a traditional roadie almost fell with his bike, and needed to walk the bike up there! (The guy told us later he had inadequate gearing and I believed him).

At the same time, my Giant Trance E+2 Pro delivers as much as 120 Nm at the rear wheel in POWER mode in granny gear! My strong brother just switched the assistance to weakened PAS 2 "BASIC" there... (That tuned mode was just 1.25x leg torque amplification that translates to 35% Assist in 2020 Vado 5.0). That's how strong my brother was and how the Trance gearing (1.42x in granny gear) helped, too.

The choice between Vado 4 and 5 is how Sierratim said: Both are equal climbers. Expect 12% grade incline to be maximum achievable on Vado unless you are a strong person.

Another observation: On fast uphill ride in Turbo mode with average grade of 6%, I was easily overtaking a young competing roadie with my Vado :D He was just faster downhill.

The High Speed Riding on Vado

We are talking U.S. Class 3 or Euro L1e-B Vado. I and brother were riding our e-bikes on a slight downhill slope (almost flat) trying to get max from the bikes. I confirm the Vado 5.0 motor cuts off precisely at 45 km/h (28 mph), and taking into account the subtle descent, I could pedal at 46-47 km/h with slight "wall effect" when the motor stops assisting you. Unlike Bosch high-speed motors that cut off much earlier (see a separate thread in the Bosch forum).

The Vado Brakes

I'm lucky to own the Vado with 180/180 mm TRP Zurich hydraulic brakes. We were riding through very steep and very long descent over hairpin bends. I didn't want to ride faster than 45 km/h there and had to reduce speed at turns. The brakes were performing fantastically. Quiet, effective, capable to be modulated. I hope the 4-piston 180/160 Shimano brakes on the current Vados are equally good.

We also descended on a very steep but almost straight long road. There, I allowed the speed to be well over 50 km/h (30 mph) and noticed slight instability issues, probably related to the fact my Vado is equipped with a rigid fork. Or, it were the 2" Electrak slick tyres. Not sure.

General Impressions

My Vado 5.0 proved to be a very capable mountain road e-bike, only next to a FS e-MTB.

Vado and Como on gravel roads

That subject was discussed in another thread but I will add my 2 Grosze here :) The major issue when riding gravel roads is the "washboard". That can only be controlled by pretty fat, low-pressure tyres. The type of the fork is irrelevant as even a FS e-MTB makes you suffer on "washboard" if the tyres are inflated too much. Como has 2.3" tyres and that's a lot. Riding it close to the minimum allowed inflation pressure will dampen the rapid vibration. I can only tell you the Vado is capable of using 2" slick tyres (knobby tyres wouldn't fit the DryTech fenders), and these tyres inflated to 3.9 bar (57 psi) dampen the vibrations perfectly. With 2.3" tyres, Como will be even better on gravel roads. Period.

The Color

I will differ from Sierratim. The fasterestest Vado color is Satin Gray, and the climberestest color is Blue-Magenta Cameleon !
:)

1597222965244.png

Our proven mountain road bikes :) Vado & Trance E+

Last edited:
I did realize that the Rocket Red would be faster. I was going to take my new Vado and have it painted Mopar “Plum Crazy”. But then thought about all the weight the paint would add!😊
My wife's Como is listed as lilac, but she refers to it as plum. But not crazy ...

Friends,

Turbo Vado As A Climber

It seems a lot of posts missed me here. I need to tell you several observations I made on our 85 km / 1500 m elevation gain (53 mi / 4900 ft) ride on last Saturday.

I rode the 2017 Vado 5.0 (a 2020 Vado 6.0 equivalent). The gearing ratio there is 46/48 = 0.958. The 1.2s motor has 90 Nm @ 520 W. Therefore, the torque at wheel is 90 * 0.958 = 86 Nm.

Now, I have measured the grade at the worst uphill ride segment: It was 12% sharp. The Vado, ridden at the granny gear and under full Turbo (and my weak legs) hardly overcame that incline but it did. While a traditional roadie almost fell with his bike, and needed to walk the bike up there! (The guy told us later he had inadequate gearing and I believed him).

At the same time, my Giant Trance E+2 Pro delivers as much as 120 Nm at the rear wheel in POWER mode in granny gear! My strong brother just switched the assistance to weakened PAS 2 "BASIC" there... (That tuned mode was just 1.25x leg torque amplification that translates to 35% Assist in 2020 Vado 5.0). That's how strong my brother was and how the Trance gearing (1.42x in granny gear) helped, too.

The choice between Vado 4 and 5 is how Sierratim said: Both are equal climbers. Expect 12% grade incline to be maximum achievable on Vado unless you are a strong person.

Another observation: On fast uphill ride in Turbo mode with average grade of 6%, I was easily overtaking a young competing roadie with my Vado :D He was just faster downhill.

The High Speed Riding on Vado

We are talking U.S. Class 3 or Euro L1e-B Vado. I and brother were riding our e-bikes on a slight downhill slope (almost flat) trying to get max from the bikes. I confirm the Vado 5.0 motor cuts off precisely at 45 km/h (28 mph), and taking into account the subtle descent, I could pedal at 46-47 km/h with slight "wall effect" when the motor stops assisting you. Unlike Bosch high-speed motors that cut off much earlier (see a separate thread in the Bosch forum).

The Vado Brakes

I'm lucky to own the Vado with 180/180 mm TRP Zurich hydraulic brakes. We were riding through very steep and very long descent over hairpin bends. I didn't want to ride faster than 45 km/h there and had to reduce speed at turns. The brakes were performing fantastically. Quiet, effective, capable to be modulated. I hope the 4-piston 180/160 Shimano brakes on the current Vados are equally good.

We also descended on a very steep but almost straight long road. There, I allowed the speed to be well over 50 km/h (30 mph) and noticed slight instability issues, probably related to the fact my Vado is equipped with a rigid fork. Or, it were the 2" Electrak slick tyres. Not sure.

General Impressions

My Vado 5.0 proved to be a very capable mountain road e-bike, only next to a FS e-MTB.

Vado and Como on gravel roads

That subject was discussed in another thread but I will add my 2 Grosze here :) The major issue when riding gravel roads is the "washboard". That can only be controlled by pretty fat, low-pressure tyres. The type of the fork is irrelevant as even a FS e-MTB makes you suffer on "washboard" if the tyres are inflated too much. Como has 2.3" tyres and that's a lot. Riding it close to the minimum allowed inflation pressure will dampen the rapid vibration. I can only tell you the Vado is capable of using 2" slick tyres (knobby tyres wouldn't fit the DryTech fenders), and these tyres inflated to 3.9 bar (57 psi) dampen the vibrations perfectly. With 2.3" tyres, Como will be even better on gravel roads. Period.

The Color

I will differ from Sierratim. The fasterestest Vado color is Satin Gray, and the climberestest color is Blue-Magenta Cameleon !
:)

View attachment 62073
Our proven mountain road bikes :) Vado & Trance E+
I love reading about your adventures ... much easier than riding with you and your brother, I'm sure. As you once commented on the versatility of the Como and Vado lines, these bikes can fill a lot of roles, and fill them as well as anything short of a custom build.

There is a 22% street in Stockholm. It’s cobble stone so maybe a bit challenging trying to go up and loosing grip all the time. Suppose it’s a one way for a reason. My Vado 5 has a 40 tooth crank wheel so maybe...
1597240201397.jpeg

Speaking of cobbles stones - I finally tried the suspension seatpost I bought in June. My brain has been busy ranting about the latest firmware so I haven’t found energy to install the new seatpost.
It’s a Redshift Shockstop. Don’t ask me why I (2 months ago) choose it among all alternatives. Memorizing is not my best discipline any more.
It could be that I liked that it as standard was suitable for a someone my weight. About 61kg or 134lb. It has an adjustment screw in bottom of tube and can be set for riders 50 - 80kg ( 110-175lb) and up to 110kg (242lb) if you add another spring.
I set mine to 65kg because I was worried it should be too mushy or something.

I really liked it! Smoothed out both small and large bumps well and not much backward movement.
1597241801285.jpeg

What I didn’t like was the position of the screws for fastening and positioning the saddle. I found it tricky to reach the 4mm hex/allen bolts. Very good for developing my patience :)
The saddle in the picture may be replaced with the standard Vado seat. The Brooks has a good seating position and allows free movement of leg but is a bit hard. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Thank you for your direction and information folks. I ordered a Vado 5.0 today. They said about a week until it comes in (Pennsylvania to Utah). I originally was going to get a Como 4.0 until I got on this forum. Reading all the information convinced me to go for the Vado. I had been riding a Cannondale Quick prior to having a hip replacement. Thought the Como might be easier pedaling due to the riders position. Took a quick ride on the Vado today and it was Plenty comfy! Additionally, you convinced me to go from a 4.0 to a 5.0. Its only money.;)

Thank you for your direction and information folks. I ordered a Vado 5.0 today. They said about a week until it comes in (Pennsylvania to Utah). I originally was going to get a Como 4.0 until I got on this forum. Reading all the information convinced me to go for the Vado. I had been riding a Cannondale Quick prior to having a hip replacement. Thought the Como might be easier pedaling due to the riders position. Took a quick ride on the Vado today and it was Plenty comfy! Additionally, you convinced me to go from a 4.0 to a 5.0. Its only money.;)
Yeah that's right only Money : Which you'd be best spending before the World's economies collapse : Which could be as soon as November Elections 2020 . When it does you'll at least have a Bike :) Enjoy

It’s a nice day so I think I’ll go there and have a look. I bring my smart phone so I can post from the hospital and tell you about it:rolleyes:

If you wait a little you might be able to meet Stefan there in that cobble street - I hear he's just entering the Stockholm ferry with his eMTB. 🤣 😇

It’s the nothern part of a street called Brännkyrkagatan.
I don't understand it. Peranders says it is 22%. Wikipedia says so. There is a road-sign reading 22%. Yet I made a route in RideWithGPS and in Mapy.cz and both apps claim far milder grade... @PaD, you're gonna try it! :)

I don't understand it. Peranders says it is 22%. Wikipedia says so. There is a road-sign reading 22%. Yet I made a route in RideWithGPS and in Mapy.cz and both apps claim far milder grade... @PaD, you're gonna try it! :)
I checked my SAT ride to Edwards Crossing against US Geologic Survey topo maps running on National Geographic's TOPO! software. It's reporting max 20% grade climbing out of the river between miles 0.55 and 0.75. I was in the Vado 5's Turbo mode at this point, but not in granny gear nor standing on the pedals. YRMV.

@PaD I say go for it! Post pics, please.

I made it. ( or the Vado made it) Did not have to call Emergency. Sorry no video to show you so for now you have to take make word.
But is it really 22%? I think I should go back bringing a folding rule.
1597265265266.jpeg

I forgot to bring my Garmin gps to measure elevation. It is quite steep but it did not seem impossible in any way as I know my 1.3 motor is very strong. Don’t know if the 1.2S ( Stefan’s Speed Vado) is specified with same torque. They are different and software is different.
”There’s too much computing, I can’t get no relief” :)
Here are my pics. Note that road signs specify cycling is allowed both directions.
843535F0-5F09-4B23-97A4-E45D372EE5B7.jpeg 394DBD8D-0A09-46BD-93D3-85F22BAC57B1.jpeg 97B21DEE-4791-477B-8D77-9257AE285EE0.jpeg

I approached from top and walked down. The climb is only about 70-80m long. At the bottom I put bike in full Turbo mode and there was enough space so I could circle and shift into lowest, 40 front 42 rear. I did not at all try to build up speed , I just pedalled slowly and kept to the right. Of course I forgot to time it and check speed during ascent:confused:
It wasn’t tough in any way but I was a bit uncomfortable as it was steep and I have no knowledge about riding position in a situation like this. Didn’t want to loose grip but felt more safe leaning forward.
Vados have torquey motor!

Edit
Maybe it is close to 20%
1597267703773.jpeg

Last edited:
My new Vado 5.0 should be ready early next week if all goes well. I ride where there is lots of thorns. I have no problem changing tires and tubes before I take delivery. I understand nothings perfect, but are there significantly better choices right off the bat? And would they be the same size? Open to suggestions. Thanks once again!

Back