Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 - 2019 vs 2020

UpperEastSide

I'd like to thank EBR for providing top-notch reviews, well produced videos, and the forums!

I've been eyeing Specialized EB for a while. The 2019 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 went on sale for $2495 (US). It's currently being assembled for a test ride.
I realized the 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 is available for $2700. Based on the comparison HERE, the summary is as follows:

"The (2020) Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 and Men's (2019) Turbo Vado 3.0 are both 700c aluminum frame hybrid e-bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. The 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 has a better fork, while the 2019 Men's Turbo Vado 3.0 has better components"

In your opinion, which would you choose?

Background for use:
- Will not be commuting
- Mostly on-road trail rides
- Neighborhood rides
- 50yr old/M

I've been considering the 2020 Turbo Como 4 for seat/posture, but it's not on sale ($3350)
The 2020 Como Turbo 3 is Class 1 @20mph for $2950.

The Vado 3.0 seems like a really good deal.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Simple reply: If the MY 2019 is equipped with BLOKS display, drop it and go for the MY 2020 with the TCD-W display. Night & day.

The BLOKS can hang your e-bike motor when you do not expect that. BLOKS doesn't connect to the Mission Control. It gives you only basic ride parameters; you even don't know how much used the battery you have is... You can hardly tune your e-bike. Riding my Vado was nightmarish before Specialized upgraded the display to TCD-W under warranty. (That meant they had to dismantle the bike and reassemble it). After the overhaul, my Vado is a dream machine. Connection with Mission Control and BLEvo apps is worth every cent... Trust me. (I rode the BLOKS Vado for 7 months).

Here she is, I was surprised to see the tail light integrated into the fender, and not the rack.

F3EE6FF1-60A9-404C-B18A-199AC8442A6A.jpeg

What Class is your Vado, actually? Have you tried pedalling past 20 mph?
Regarding the tail-light position, I think U.S. Vados have been equipped with such a light for a while. It is different on my Vado but mine is a European S-Pedelec version and the tail-light is integrated with the rack for legal reasons.

Last edited:
@Stefan - Rated Class 3 @28mph. I will confirm later today.

Spent a lot of time last night trying to determine the proper ABUS lock that will fit Vado 3.
I found this short video on EBR, describing locking technique.
Do you subscribe to similar practices; 2 cables & U-Lock?
I'd prefer one key if possible, and leaning towards ABUS (specific model?), but open to suggestions.
Thanks for your help.

I live in Poland, and the level of bike theft is different here. I don't even live in a big city, so my security needs are solved with Abus 440 A alarm U-lock, by which I link the bike frame to a road sign-post :) Your situation is beyond my competence.

Vado 3.0 turbo, is one of the best EB you can get. Have tryed many others, but Specialized vado 3.0 turbo, is great in balance, power and safe. Before with other E bikes i lost litle control. The Mission app i set to max. Has never used after. Display tells what i need to know. And this forum is really great.

What Class is your Vado, actually? Have you tried pedalling past 20 mph?
Regarding the tail-light position, I think U.S. Vados have been equipped with such a light for a while. It is different on my Vado but mine is a European S-Pedelec version and the tail-light is integrated with the rack for legal reasons.
Stefan, I bought a Turbo Vado 3.0 in Nov 2020. It is blue and exactly like the one pictured in this thread. In the Mission Control App, there is an option to see how much assist is being applied by the motor. My bike has a Class 3 sticker and I wanted to test the 28 mph assist limit. I found that at 28 MPH (going down a steep hill) the assistance slowly fades to zero by 30 MPH. It is not an abrupt cut.

Stefan, I bought a Turbo Vado 3.0 in Nov 2020. It is blue and exactly like the one pictured in this thread. In the Mission Control App, there is an option to see how much assist is being applied by the motor. My bike has a Class 3 sticker and I wanted to test the 28 mph assist limit. I found that at 28 MPH (going down a steep hill) the assistance slowly fades to zero by 30 MPH. It is not an abrupt cut.
Thank you, good to know!

In Boston burbs now! Wouldn’t ride in the city. Too busy for me.
Hi Upper Eastside
I've been posting questions similar to yours. It's May 2021 and the prices are much higher.
I live in R.I. and found a Specialized like the one you bought. Same color. I'll have to check the display before I buy it. It's a medium step over. The bar is a little too close and I can barely touch the ground. I'm 5'10. There is another dealer with some low entry ones in boxes

Back