Specialized Como 5.0 shifting issue

jbshowah

Region
USA
City
Oxford, Mississippi
My Como 5.0 makes a clicking sound in 10th gear. The local shop where I purchased the bike tried adjusted the b screw and the tension, and they changed the clutch position off and on, but the problem persists. They also measured the teeth on the cassette and examined the chain. Does anyone have a suggestion that a newbie like myself may try to help alleviate this issue?

My Como 5.0 makes a clicking sound in 10th gear. The local shop where I purchased the bike tried adjusted the b screw and the tension, and they changed the clutch position off and on, but the problem persists. They also measured the teeth on the cassette and examined the chain. Does anyone have a suggestion that a newbie like myself may try to help alleviate this issue?
Does the chain stay in the gear? One thing I can think of is a wrong adjustment of the H-screw. (I assume the chain is almost new, maintained, and the cassette cog had no chance to be worn out yet). Note: B-screw is only for protecting the guide pulley for the lowest (1st) gear. The clutch protects the chain against popping off the chainring.

Here's some related data -don't know if directly applicable:

My Como 3.0 developed a clicking in 8th and the 9th gear (Top gear for 3.0) @ 3K miles.

9 speed cassette on Como 3.0 has last two - 8/9th gears separate from assembled cassette and held in place by the cassette to bearing fastener.

Last two 8/9 gears were slightly loose and appeared to have slight high spots or slightly dished , resulting in gears' movement and 'clicking'.

A replacement 9 speed cassette cured clicking and shows no sign of same failure after @ 1K miles.

Not OG 'bike person' , not clear if common problem with cassettes ...

Have E fun

Here's some related data -don't know if directly applicable:

My Como 3.0 developed a clicking in 8th and the 9th gear (Top gear for 3.0) @ 3K miles.

9 speed cassette on Como 3.0 has last two - 8/9th gears separate from assembled cassette and held in place by the cassette to bearing fastener.

Last two 8/9 gears were slightly loose and appeared to have slight high spots or slightly dished , resulting in gears' movement and 'clicking'.

A replacement 9 speed cassette cured clicking and shows no sign of same failure after @ 1K miles.

Not OG 'bike person' , not clear if common problem with cassettes ...

Have E fun

That’s in the normal mileage range for a cassette to wear out. They wear out faster in ebikes because people usually go further on ebikes (or use them more) and the motor puts extra torque on it vs. just le power. So they wear faster. Keeping your drivetrain clean and replacing the chain every 500-1000 miles can help extend cassette life.

If that wasn’t causing the sound, the derailleur may need adjusted. You just turn the set screws on it to do so. There are great youtube videos on how to do this and it isn’t that hard.

edit - wow did autocorrect fail me the first go

Last edited:
... gears were slightly loose and appeared to have slight high spots or slightly dished , resulting in gears' movement and 'clicking'.

... so does anyone know if the Como 5.0 gear cassette have similar compound construction of final gears that could be suspect to 'clicking'?.

"normal mileage range for a cassette to wear out"... and replacing the chain every 500-1000 miles... "

.. confounding data from on our other Como with over 10K miles on drivetrain/cassette/ sprox has not evidenced any clicking/wear wear problem related to cassette -
perhaps directly related to riding styles, environment, and luck...

(Replacing chain at quoted intervals would have required @ 5 cassettes and 10 - 20 chain replacements in less than 2 years ridden.)

have E fun

I have replaced the chain on my Vado 5.0 for several times over past two years and almost 10,000 km ridden (about 6,200 miles). The cassette was replaced twice. Meanwhile, the two smallest cogs on the cassette were replaced once (that's the equivalent of replacing the cassette thrice). The cassettes would probably last much longer if I knew to replace the chain at the 0.75 mark earlier.

Back