Specialized/Brose motor failures?

Ofarrell

Hi All, Im looking to upgrade from my current Giant Explore+ 2 gts. I was very much leaning towards Specialized Vado 4 or 5 specifically (the newest models, not sure about IGH yet). And as always Ive over analyzed the info available on the web and have read so many reports of failed motors on the Specialized. Now to be fair most of those were in regard to Levo and I assume some more vigorous MTB riders. Im looking more at commute, leisure, paved and packed trails and some fitness. Could I hear from some that own either newer Vado 5s or 4s? Should I be as concerned as I am? My Giant has been a bit of an issue so I was hoping that if I went a little higher end Id get a more stable and reliable platform (to be fair is not the yamaha motor Ive had issues with... that thing seems very solid).. I know Specialized is great about warranty replacements but I dont drive, just bike... so bringing it to the shop means renting a van twice. Would love some opinions. I was also considering the SL. But I live in a condo so the unremovable battery is a deal breaker for me but that that vado 5 sl is a beautiful looking bike.

I had similar concerns prior to the purchase of my 2022 Vado 5.0. I think many of the problems are with older motors and the carbon belts they used, I believe newer Brose motors have fixed these issues.

I have only had my Vado for a couple of moths so cannot comment on long term reliability, I am sure some veteran members here will chime in soon!

I had similar concerns prior to the purchase of my 2022 Vado 5.0. I think many of the problems are with older motors and the carbon belts they used, I believe newer Brose motors have fixed these issues.

I have only had my Vado for a couple of moths so cannot comment on long term reliability, I am sure some veteran members here will chime in soon!
@JayUK did you go for the IGH? If so, whats your thoughts on it.

Hi All, Im looking to upgrade from my current Giant Explore+ 2 gts. I was very much leaning towards Specialized Vado 4 or 5 specifically (the newest models, not sure about IGH yet). And as always Ive over analyzed the info available on the web and have read so many reports of failed motors on the Specialized. Now to be fair most of those were in regard to Levo and I assume some more vigorous MTB riders. Im looking more at commute, leisure, paved and packed trails and some fitness. Could I hear from some that own either newer Vado 5s or 4s? Should I be as concerned as I am? My Giant has been a bit of an issue so I was hoping that if I went a little higher end Id get a more stable and reliable platform (to be fair is not the yamaha motor Ive had issues with... that thing seems very solid).. I know Specialized is great about warranty replacements but I dont drive, just bike... so bringing it to the shop means renting a van twice. Would love some opinions. I was also considering the SL. But I live in a condo so the unremovable battery is a deal breaker for me but that that vado 5 sl is a beautiful looking bike.
I also moved on from a 2021 Giant Explorer 2 GTS....a good solid bike, but the 60 nm of power was not enough. I purchased a Vado 4 a few months later, and could not be happier. The 70nm of power is noticeable more powerful, and the Specialized bike is superior in every way. With the sale going on with Specialized...the Vado 4 is a steal. Really a good price for what you get. I have 3500 miles on the Vado, and have had zero issues with it. My one year checkup was this past April, and all they did was lube the chain, and sent me on my way. The hype over Specialized ebikes is not overblown. Just my two cents.....I hope this helps.

I also moved on from a 2021 Giant Explorer 2 GTS....a good solid bike, but the 60 nm of power was not enough. I purchased a Vado 4 a few months later, and could not be happier. The 70nm of power is noticeable more powerful, and the Specialized bike is superior in every way. With the sale going on with Specialized...the Vado 4 is a steal. Really a good price for what you get. I have 3500 miles on the Vado, and have had zero issues with it. My one year checkup was this past April, and all they did was lube the chain, and sent me on my way. The hype over Specialized ebikes is not overblown. Just my two cents.....I hope this helps.
Thank you for the comparison. Im up in Canada... no sales here unfortunately. That would be nice :)

I can understand a bike shop not wanting to work on the electrical parts of an e-bike as there are so many one off electric variations of the system out there it would be impossible to know them all. Refusing or not wanting to work on the normal parts and pieces (there are not that many) any bike possesses puzzles me.

I can understand a bike shop not wanting to work on the electrical parts of an e-bike as there are so many one off electric variations of the system out there it would be impossible to know them all. Refusing or not wanting to work on the normal parts and pieces (there are not that many) any bike possesses puzzles me.
I'm not sure what you're referencing here, but it occurs to me that a shop might say that to an overly troublesome customer they wish would go elsewhere? :p

I wasnt really sure what context this was in but I have had small bike shops that I used to take my old road bike too say they werent really sure what to do with my Giant when I was having some controller issues. I didnt really think badly of them... they were honest about there skill level. Im not adverse to taking a bike to the shop if it needs too go, its just not as easy a task as putting it on a rack and driving it there myself. That said, I only keep one bike at a time. I have to park in a garage in the basement. Having to replace something as significant as a motor doesnt sound like it would be done fast... at least not in Ontario Canada. And I use my wheels to commute to work daily.

I wasnt really sure what context this was in but I have had small bike shops that I used to take my old road bike too say they werent really sure what to do with my Giant when I was having some controller issues. I didnt really think badly of them... they were honest about there skill level. Im not adverse to taking a bike to the shop if it needs too go, its just not as easy a task as putting it on a rack and driving it there myself. That said, I only keep one bike at a time. I have to park in a garage in the basement. Having to replace something as significant as a motor doesnt sound like it would be done fast... at least not in Ontario Canada. And I use my wheels to commute to work daily.
"I wasnt really sure what context this was in but I have had small bike shops that I used to take my old road bike too say they werent really sure what to do with my Giant when I was having some controller issues.

Working on the electrical problems is what I was making a point on. Controllers, motors etc. So many different brands and variations. Various controllers even in the same name and model bike. Some seem to have put in whatever electrical components were available at the time of manufacturing. How is anybody supposed to know where and how to get replacement parts that work to fix them. No wonder nobody wants to troubleshoot electrical component problems let alone work/ fix them. Electrical problems can take a long time to diagnose and fix. The customer would not want to pay huge shop fees so it probably is just easier for the shop to refuse to work on the electrical components of an e-bike.
The mechanical components are a different animal as they are readily available and simple to install. I seems like any bike shop should be happy taking run of the mill mechanical work.

If the motor isn’t throwing any error codes, the culprit is most likely the sprag clutch bearings. Brose is already up to their Gen3 version of its carbon fiber belts.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're referencing here, but it occurs to me that a shop might say that to an overly troublesome customer they wish would go elsewhere? :p
Some bike shops simply have an attitude: if you want us to service your ebike, do us the courtesy of buying it from us; otherwise forget it. I test rode a couple of ebikes at a shop like that and they told me right at the start what their policy was (they didn't know me from Adam, so how could I have been pegged as 'troublesome'?). I think the owners feel like they make most of their profit on sales, and people who won't give them the profitable business don't get to "use" them for service.

Some bike shops simply have an attitude: if you want us to service your ebike, do us the courtesy of buying it from us; otherwise forget it. I test rode a couple of ebikes at a shop like that and they told me right at the start what their policy was (they didn't know me from Adam, so how could I have been pegged as 'troublesome'?). I think the owners feel like they make most of their profit on sales, and people who won't give them the profitable business don't get to "use" them for service.
In Canada... at Least where I am in Ontario there is more lack of knowledge than anything else. Even the official giant store in Toronto told.me they'd have to send my.motor away even if I just want a service tune up and internal inspection. The only time I got some attitude was when I took an ebike to a shop that dealt mostly with road and high end mtb. I only wanted my breaks flushed :) In the end I learned to do it myself.

I got a 2018 Turbo Vado 3, that was replaced by Specialized after less than two years due to a cracked frame at the motor housing at 3000 miles. They replaced it with a 2020 Turbo Vado 4. The motor in that bike was replaced at 3000 miles due to failure. I was very panicked when I got to 3000 miles but the bike sailed through that. Today at 4300 miles, the motor died (I expect it’s a belt failure again). I haven’t had a chance to bring it to the shop yet, but I’m not feeling the love for Specialized at this point.

Please check if there's no warranty on the first replacement motor. I would like to know it.

My 2022 Vado 5.0 with 5,600 miles in 16 months is going in for a motor replacement in the morning. Although performance is fine, noises (previously posted) are nuts. Love the bike. Crazy stuff, huh?

Hi All, Im looking to upgrade from my current Giant Explore+ 2 gts. I was very much leaning towards Specialized Vado 4 or 5 specifically (the newest models, not sure about IGH yet). And as always Ive over analyzed the info available on the web and have read so many reports of failed motors on the Specialized. Now to be fair most of those were in regard to Levo and I assume some more vigorous MTB riders. Im looking more at commute, leisure, paved and packed trails and some fitness. Could I hear from some that own either newer Vado 5s or 4s? Should I be as concerned as I am? My Giant has been a bit of an issue so I was hoping that if I went a little higher end Id get a more stable and reliable platform (to be fair is not the yamaha motor Ive had issues with... that thing seems very solid).. I know Specialized is great about warranty replacements but I dont drive, just bike... so bringing it to the shop means renting a van twice. Would love some opinions. I was also considering the SL. But I live in a condo so the unremovable battery is a deal breaker for me but that that vad0 5 sl is a beautiful looking bike.
Hello there! At one point, I owned a Giant Explore 2 GTS, which was a pretty decent ebike, but I found the 60nm of torque a bit lacking for my taste. I eventually switched to a Specialized Vado 4, and I had a fantastic experience riding it for a trouble-free 3500 miles, which were nothing short of exhilarating. I made the decision to part with that bike to make way for the Vado 5 IGH because I was enticed by its impressive 90nm of torque. However, I must admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Vado 5 IGH's performance. It didn't seem to pack the noticeable power or speed punch I was expecting, except when in Turbo mode, which left me wanting more. Consequently, I decided to return it. In terms of value for money, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Vado 4, especially with the ongoing sale.

Then you want a second bike, so one can get repairs when needed.

Back