Specialized battery solution. Problem solved!

I have triangle bags from 4 sources. One is pure crap the others are OK with some reservations and needed adjustments Will check yours out next!.
It’s got a zipper closure. Seems to be well made but it’s a bit tough to go the last millimeters to make it waterproof.

Won't the bag overheat the battery in the summer, PaD?
I don’t think so. Of course there is reduced airflow but the bag isn’t supertight on top of the battery.
There is no temp sensor in the battery is there? Would be nice to get info in the Mission Control app

So I got more than just 4 litres of storage when buying the framebag. Extra security for the battery included :)

View attachment 42887

Not really super tight but maybe it helps. The conical shape of the down tube is not ideal when using velcro straps but the bag doesn’t slip.

PaD,

Did this frame bag come with velcro straps that would go around the Vado's battery, or did you need to change these out? Ortlieb's site doesn't specify this.

After the initial repair getting the battery out is not a problem. The problem is how hard it is to get it properly locked in and also having it pop out while riding.
Has this ever happened to you?
My solution: Put the battery in place, then hold the bike by the seat and the handle bar and use your foot to seat it. Works every time.

PaD,

Did this frame bag come with velcro straps that would go around the Vado's battery, or did you need to change these out? Ortlieb's site doesn't specify this.
Hi
This is embarrassing. I just realised that you asked me in January about the velcro straps for the framebag.
Sorry I missed that.
This is of course too late but here is my answer any way.
There was some velcro straps to put around seat tube and bottom tube but if I remember this right it wasn’t enough for the battery/bottom tube on the Vado.
I think I bought 3-4 ft width 25mm.

Hi
This is embarrassing. I just realised that you asked me in January about the velcro straps for the framebag.
Sorry I missed that.
This is of course too late but here is my answer any way.
There was some velcro straps to put around seat tube and bottom tube but if I remember this right it wasn’t enough for the battery/bottom tube on the Vado.
I think I bought 3-4 ft width 25mm.
No worries. I bought the Ortlieb frame bag with 20" long velcro straps off eBay. Works great!

Reactions: PaD
My solution: Put the battery in place, then hold the bike by the seat and the handle bar and use your foot to seat it. Works every time.
That’s probably exactly what Specialized think is what all owners need to know. Not.:)
(but I may try)

(I cannot get people not capable to insert the Vado battery properly... I own two batteries and no issues with inserting them).

I have a 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0 and I have no issues with removal or the battery staying in but trying to install the battery is a complete nightmare. Already buggered my paint on the frame and have had it take 15 minutes of fiddling at best 1 or 2 minutes absolutely never first try, cussing and other trying to install it especially embarrassing at a trail head as everyone hops on their bikes and rides away.

@mdl2020: Here is the procedure:
  1. Lean the bike slightly onto the drive-side
  2. Align the battery the way it is parallel with the frame: Only a micro gap should remain between the top of the battery and the battery chamber
  3. Give the battery a slap from the top-left corner.
I am in the mood to make a short movie tomorrow morning my time.

@mdl2020: Here is the procedure:
  1. Lean the bike slightly onto the drive-side
  2. Align the battery the way it is parallel with the frame: Only a micro gap should remain between the top of the battery and the battery chamber
  3. Give the battery a slap from the top-left corner.
I am in the mood to make a short movie tomorrow morning my time.
Please make that movie.

So I got more than just 4 litres of storage when buying the framebag. Extra security for the battery included :)

View attachment 42887

Not really super tight but maybe it helps. The conical shape of the down tube is not ideal when using velcro straps but the bag doesn’t slip.
Just as an FYI, stupid me, not digesting the completeness of this particular thread....I went and purchased the 6L BAG, IT'S TOO BIG, it doesn't fit in the "triangle", but it does hold a spare battery. Unfortunately, because it is too long at the front, it cannot be relied upon as a secure means to carry a spare battery.
So.....I got the 4L bag, as pictured, again the opening is too small to allow the insertion of the Vado battery (just like the top-tube). The 6L has the same size zipper, but because of the extra length, you can put it in nose 1st and it fits.
The point here is I was of the belief that this thread/posting was to do with carrying a battery, not keeping the battery from falling off the frame.
So, the next project is a 6" PVC or Black ABS pipe with caps mounted to the Racktime rack to carry a spare battery.
Although Brendon shows a bag "that is meant to carry a battery", it is way too big of a bag for me.
For those days I just want to experiment with Blevo or Mission Control I want to be able to have a reserve in case I run out of juice on the initial battery, I don't want to be stuck peddling a 50lb bike + my 230 lb. body a bunch of miles. :(
I saw a posting somewhere on this forum but cannot find it....someone did use a PVC pipe on the Racktime rack, but I was unsure if it was 4" or 6"....as the battery can only fit into a 6" pipe.
Oh, fun.

I do this and putting the battery back is a snap - when I hear the second click I know it's seated. No problems after 14 months of this.

I do this and putting the battery back is a snap - when I hear the second click I know it's seated. No problems after 14 months of this.
As I have said before on this thread. This battery locking mechanism is flawed. A certain percentage of these batteries will never be reliably inserted. Some are worse than others. If your lucky like Stefan then you won the lottery and won’t understand the difficulty that some owners will face. After 5,000 kilometres I have grown to live with the idea that the battery is impossible to insert reliably. Sometimes it will pop out while riding. No amount of hammering will insure the battery is 100% in every ride. I have changed the battery shim, used light grease, filed away part of the latch and all of that did help a bit. Lots of use seems to have worn in the parts and helped a bit too. But still every few rides the battery pops out or does not want to latch in properly. My LBS has been honest about it and told me most Vado are good but some are impossible and they have no solution.

Y
As I have said before on this thread. This battery locking mechanism is flawed. A certain percentage of these batteries will never be reliably inserted. Some are worse than others. If your lucky like Stefan then you won the lottery and won’t understand the difficulty that some owners will face. After 5,000 kilometres I have grown to live with the idea that the battery is impossible to insert reliably. Sometimes it will pop out while riding. No amount of hammering will insure the battery is 100% in every ride. I have changed the battery shim, used light grease, filed away part of the latch and all of that did help a bit. Lots of use seems to have worn in the parts and helped a bit too. But still every few rides the battery pops out or does not want to latch in properly. My LBS has been honest about it and told me most Vado are good but some are impossible and they have no solution.
Yep. Mine's smoother after a few thousand miles, but I still carry a velcro strap, just in case! 😎

Just when I thought I had it under control.
My battery popped out of the bike while I was riding and hit the pavement. Arrrgh. I went up a transition from the road to the bike path and the small bump jarred the battery loose and out. This is the first time the battery actuall fell off the bike. Usually it sort of comes out halfway but stays on the bike. It broke my bottle cage and scratched the paint. What a hassle. I guess from now on I will wrap a Velcro strip around the battery.

Attachments

• 6A893766-420C-45DC-AF50-D7B3CC131D7D.jpeg
    6A893766-420C-45DC-AF50-D7B3CC131D7D.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 2E6E2CD0-62BE-4C60-9CBB-76BA8DA53BC0.jpeg
    2E6E2CD0-62BE-4C60-9CBB-76BA8DA53BC0.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 229
Just when I thought I had it under control.
My battery popped out of the bike while I was riding and hit the pavement. Arrrgh. I went up a transition from the road to the bike path and the small bump jarred the battery loose and out. This is the first time the battery actuall fell off the bike. Usually it sort of comes out halfway but stays on the bike. It broke my bottle cage and scratched the paint. What a hassle. I guess from now on I will wrap a Velcro strip around the battery.
Kinda sucks. I too had this occur on my previous Trek Allant + 9S. Back to the drawing board.
We should be given some sort of 'beta test' compensation.
What were they thinking!

Back