Spark Mini Unboxing and Assembly

Grump010

We purchased a couple of Sparkbikes Mini's for my DW and myself and I was so impressed, I thought that I would take a shot at an unboxing and assembly video. This is my first attempt at something like this and the editing is a little brutal in places so be gentle folks. I hope you enjoy my efforts:

Cheers
Daryl B (Dobbie the House Elf)

Definitely a good first effort, but as an editor (and motion graphics designer) by trade, there's one piece of advice I'd give you...

Don't be afraid to make hard cuts to make the audio flow better, and use cutaways (b-roll) or stills cover the visual edits. :)

Also, great bike. We picked up a pair (black and white) of Minis and love them.

I hated the bottle cage location though, so moved it to the vertical part of the handlebars with a 360 degree rotating clamp.

By putting the new cage on when the handlebars were folded down, you can find the sweet spot for placement without getting in the way when folding/unfolding.

Good job on the video.
Just shooting the video and uploading it is more than most people would do. People like Court Rye or Casey Neistat have worked years to get to the point where they can produce such nice polished work.

I've shot video for years and edited some, I know what it can be like, I only have one video online.

Thanks for the pointers and advice, really appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping to do more video about the Mini in the future and finish editing the travel videos that I have accumulating on my server. With a foot of snow currently on the ground, it may be awhile before I get more video of the mini. We have the GNIFF (Great Northern Film Festival) here next year and I'm planning on taking part in the workshops in order to better understand.

Cheers
Daryl B.

Liked it, videos are a challenge. My solution is to simply not do them. 🤣

So, how do they ride? Do you like them? The big tires with small diameter - easy to steer and control? Stable? Peppy?
Seems like they're designed and finished well. 7 speed cassette on the rear?

So, how do they ride? Do you like them? The big tires with small diameter - easy to steer and control? Stable? Peppy?
I've had mine since August and I'd say yes to almost every question you have (first e-bike and fat tire for me).

The Kenda Krusades are okay, but I don't LOVE them. When I'm turning on paved paths, I occasionally notice the 30 TPI, on turns that are either too tight, or I'm going too fast on. Part of that is my own problem, in that I'm forgetting that it's not a road bike. :)

They feel just a little sloppy, so next spring I might look for something with 60 TPI.

The only other thing I dislike is how much real estate the display takes up on the handlebars. I'm going to try to do my own rig for that.

Mines in shipping right now, so I appreciate the video!

I am a little concerned that perhaps I wont be able to assemble this properly and safely (lots of warnings in the manual stating I should take it professional). But Id like to save the money and try it myself. Is there a comprehensive check list that I could use to ensure I got every bolt/screw/nut securely fastened? Also, I don't actually own any "grease" just bike chain lube. If I don't grease the pedals, whats the worse that could happen? Also, could bike chain lube be used as a substitute? (yes, I am both lazy and cheap :p)

It's really not the difficult at all to assemble. Any sort of lubricant on the pedal threads can be used, it just helps the mating surfaces mesh as your threading steel into aluminum and it will help to prevent galling. The most important ones after the initial assembly are the crank arms as they will be only be snug not tight. I've since gone through every nut and bolt on the bikes and it was pretty much good. I did reinstall and level the rear carriers, but thats just me being overly anal about my toys. Once you get the bike, if you have any question come on back here or PM me and I can give you my phone # to answer any specific questions.

It's really not the difficult at all to assemble. Any sort of lubricant on the pedal threads can be used, it just helps the mating surfaces mesh as your threading steel into aluminum and it will help to prevent galling. The most important ones after the initial assembly are the crank arms as they will be only be snug not tight. I've since gone through every nut and bolt on the bikes and it was pretty much good. I did reinstall and level the rear carriers, but thats just me being overly anal about my toys. Once you get the bike, if you have any question come on back here or PM me and I can give you my phone # to answer any specific questions.
Oh, thanks! I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

Browneye, I missed this somehow but better late than never.
I was a little skeptical about the small wheels and the design being a folder. I am surprised at how stable the bike is once I got through the short learning curve. After a couple of kilometers out on the front street I'm able to do figure eights in the driveway in 5 or 6 foot circles and ride with no hands. So for a 6' 225 lb middle aged old fart at 60 I am really quite comfortable riding them and as I said in the video the quality is better than I expected especially at this price point. Yes it is a 7 speed Shimano Acera setup on the rear.

Very nice work on the video! You'll have great fun with the bikes. Buy several good locks and always use them.

The Kenda Krusades are okay, but I don't LOVE them. When I'm turning on paved paths, I occasionally notice the 30 TPI, on turns that are either too tight, or I'm going too fast on. Part of that is my own problem, in that I'm forgetting that it's not a road bike. :)

They feel just a little sloppy, so next spring I might look for something with 60 TPI.
I could feel my City bike 2.1" tires knuckling over a bit on corners at first under low pressure, but once I put higher pressure in them they're fine. I used low pressure in attempt to take some of the bumps out of the ride on the bad pavement. I'm finding the ride feels better in every way with higher pressure. I also got a suspension seat post cuz I'm old.

I could feel my City bike 2.1" tires knuckling over a bit on corners at first under low pressure, but once I put higher pressure in them they're fine. I used low pressure in attempt to take some of the bumps out of the ride on the bad pavement. I'm finding the ride feels better in every way with higher pressure. I also got a suspension seat post cuz I'm old.
Ha! I'm looking at a suspension seat post as well, but I'm torn between that, and one that allows the seat to flip forward for battery removal...

As for the tire sloppiness, I think the 4" width on the Mini makes it more noticeable, especially when not running at higher pressure. I'm going to check with my LBS to see if they can order in some Vee Tire Co. tires... torn between the more street/hard pack friendly Speedsters, their mission commands, which have a continuous center, but knobby sides.

Both have their advantages, and a much higher TPI.

I have the suntour SP 12 NCX on mine, it's very comfortable. I also prefer the tire pressure to be on the higher side for a more stable ride, I tried them softer and the ride was quite mushy. But then again the same thing happens when I off road with aired down tires on my truck.

Im well on my way to finishing the assembly! Just one question: my bike chains were already greasy out of the box. Should I remove it and add my own lube, or keep it as is?

Alright, sounds good. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I fell in love with this thing as soon as it arrived. Such high quality!

My chain was good out of the box. Generally I redo it as needed, just like a pedal bike.

antboy,
Are you getting many KM's on your SM these days? I've done about 4 or 5 in the last few weeks mostly to the mailbox and back, it's been pretty cold here lately.

antboy,
Are you getting many KM's on your SM these days? I've done about 4 or 5 in the last few weeks mostly to the mailbox and back, it's been pretty cold here lately.
Here in Toronto, it's been unseasonably warm, so great winter so far riding wise.

I've done 108km since December 1st, which includes 3 long rides (approx 30km each), plus some short shopping runs. I'm actually heading out for a grocery run in a few.

Back