Spare POWERTUBE for Delite 2020: switching that rubber cover?!!!

Mike Owen

Just removed the Powertube 500 from my brand new 2020 Delite Rohloff for the first time.

Hoping to find it had a removable rubber cover so I could get an aftermarket spare Powertube 500 for longer rides. I went for the single 500 Delite because I like the simplicity of the frame and to give me weight saving options for different ride types.

But sadly the R&M rubber cover looks mighty well fixed (permanent?) to the Powertube.

Has anyone ever managed to remove that cover from a Powertube and switch it between batteries?

Presuming the part is identical on all 2020 Delite, Superdelite (+ Mountain variants), Charger 3 and Superchargers.

Thanks, in anticipation.

I know the accessory cover for the power tube on Super Delight is now available because I just ordered one with the new bike. I don't know if it would solve your problem but worth checking in with your dealer. R&M appears to call it a "transport cover".

I know the accessory cover for the power tube on Super Delight is now available because I just ordered one with the new bike. I don't know if it would solve your problem but worth checking in with your dealer. R&M appears to call it a "transport cover".
Thanks Scott. Hi.

Good that the Transport Cover is now available in the US. So I guess it should be here in the UK.

I presume this is the part:

1587556565821.png

I doubt it would fit a bare aftermarket Powertube, because it appears to include a structure to lock into the frame cavity on the bike.

But your suggestion maybe the only option for me. My brother is considering buying a 2020 Superdelite. If we got a Transport Cover to match we could then run the Superdelite on one battery and he could loan me a Powertube to extend the Delite range (we don‘t have a regular ride pattern, so the flexibility of 3 Powertubes between us is appealing).

Hope I’m correct in thinking the Superdelite will run fine on one Powertube if required?

Cheers. Stay safe.

Scott. Think you could be on to something there. The Transport Cover possibly has the same rubber cover and stiffener as the regular Powertube cover, but with an additional structure to lock in. Remove that lock in part and it might slot onto an aftermarket Powertube.

When do you get the Superdelite? You would be able to tell if this mod looks likely.

The image is grabbed off the R&M German dealer website. It appeared on this thread...

Superdelite (rohloff w/kiox) delivery tomorrow, hopefully! Hoping to purchase a dummy cover to mod it with a recess for my phone. Without the bike in hand I can't measure the battery dimensions (top width) to see if this will work/fit. Plan on cutting/machining a phone sized recess and securing and insulating a phone case where I can easily slot in my phone on the go for navigation. In addition, plan on adding qi (wireless) charging battery-bank glued to the underside of the phone case and connecting it to Kiox USB or additional recesses for solar panels.

Superdelite (rohloff w/kiox) delivery tomorrow, hopefully! Hoping to purchase a dummy cover to mod it with a recess for my phone. Without the bike in hand I can't measure the battery dimensions (top width) to see if this will work/fit. Plan on cutting/machining a phone sized recess and securing and insulating a phone case where I can easily slot in my phone on the go for navigation. In addition, plan on adding qi (wireless) charging battery-bank glued to the underside of the phone case and connecting it to Kiox USB or additional recesses for solar panels.
I have mounted my iPhone on handlebar of my new SuperDelite , with a case from Apple that allows quick and easy removal , places it next to the Kiox for power and on the handlebar it’s easy to see, Quad lock case ,

Komoot links to your Kiox and provides maps of your rides with data for cadence , Power generates , speed and altitude, on the Bosch connect app, admire the work your thinking of doing but the simplest solution works pretty well. Enjoy your new bike, we are very impressed with ours

I was inspired by this bike (below) its an Indiegogo bike I backed that has been delayed 2 additional months due to coronavirus. Plus, I enjoy making/tinkering/customizing. The cover is <$50 and worth the effort provided my Galaxy phone fits the battery width. Going for a clean, lightweight, daily commuter configuration, which I can swap in easily when I'm not in long adventure weekends (2 battery) mode. I bet R&M would sell a gang of these "commutor covers" as a finished product!
giphy.gif

Heck Steve.

You certainly do sound like you like tinkering!

Will be impressive if you can pull it off. A top tube phone mount sounds a whole lot slicker than the vulnerable phone perched out in front of the handle bars. And much better protected.

As you like tinkering: maybe you are a good judge of whether this R&M Transport Cover can be adapted to fit onto an aftermarket bare Bosch Powertube 500. Would be great to hear your thoughts.

My new Chilli Matt Delite Rohloff is way beyond my dreams... I. Love. That. Bike.

Today you get your amazing bike. Hope it's as brilliant as anticipated. And you should be in a good position to judge the idea of fitting Transport Cover to bare Powertube, because you will have both! ;)👍👎 ?

Sorry, the bike comes today, the travel cover comes in a few weeks from Germany. I'll definitely look into it and take all the pics you need when I have it!

Another soon-to-be source of info here, maybe ... I picked up my Supercharger 2 this week, and several transport covers are on the way. Not sure what route I’ll go with them, but currently thinking I want to bolt a Revelate Designs cockpit bag (specifically https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/magtank2000bolt) to a cover, and have a bag-less option as well. Not sure how this will work, though ... definitely not easy to get the cover off, and not sure there’s clearance between the battery and cover for bolts for the bag. We will see ...

Thanks Scott. Hi.

Good that the Transport Cover is now available in the US. So I guess it should be here in the UK.

I presume this is the part:

View attachment 50539
I doubt it would fit a bare aftermarket Powertube, because it appears to include a structure to lock into the frame cavity on the bike.

But your suggestion maybe the only option for me. My brother is considering buying a 2020 Superdelite. If we got a Transport Cover to match we could then run the Superdelite on one battery and he could loan me a Powertube to extend the Delite range (we don‘t have a regular ride pattern, so the flexibility of 3 Powertubes between us is appealing).

Hope I’m correct in thinking the Superdelite will run fine on one Powertube if required?

Cheers. Stay safe.
I have one of these for my Super and yes, it is attached to an aluminum frame that allows it to engage the battery locks. The bike runs fine on one or two batteries and even has pretty good logic to re balance them if you install one that has significantly different charge levels.

P1032724.JPG
Another soon-to-be source of info here, maybe ... I picked up my Supercharger 2 this week, and several transport covers are on the way. Not sure what route I’ll go with them, but currently thinking I want to bolt a Revelate Designs cockpit bag (specifically https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/magtank2000bolt) to a cover, and have a bag-less option as well. Not sure how this will work, though ... definitely not easy to get the cover off, and not sure there’s clearance between the battery and cover for bolts for the bag. We will see ...
I had that bag and did not like it as the lid is not secure and stuff can bounce out of it. I bought the Revelate Gas Tank instead as it has a dual waterproof zipper and is much more secure.

I have one of these for my Super and yes, it is attached to an aluminum frame that allows it to engage the battery locks. The bike runs fine on one or two batteries and even has pretty good logic to re balance them if you install one that has significantly different charge levels.
Could you share the link of where to buy that transport cover? Thanks!

Could you share the link of where to buy that transport cover? Thanks!
My dealer got it for me, so I think it is a R&M part though I dont know this for certain. I had heard about on the forum and just asked him if it could be added to the order for the bike. I often ride with only one battery, still get 50+ miles in ECO and appreciate the lighter weight vehicle. Good Riding!

The Transport Cover is a dummy battery. I believe Mike is asking for the rubber cover that attaches to powertube directly. The part number is 200213, they retail for around $30USD, and in our experience they are not meant to be removable once they've been installed.

(edit: sorry for the massive images)

IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1489.jpg

Last edited:
Back