Sore Tailbone!

I bought my Wife the 2013 e3 metro last year in Dec and I have put about 160 + miles on it. When I go out on a ride - anywhere from 10 miles to 30 miles my tailbone is sore!!!! I have pre ordered the e3 Dash and the seat on the Dash does not look as big or as comfortable as the metro. I understand the more I ride the more my ass will get use to it, but damn it gets sore! There has to me something out there…right? I still want a good looking seat but also want to sit down and enjoy my ride.

I live in Las Vegas and ALL my rides are on concrete and asphalt. ALL city riding. Any suggestions for us? The e3 metro and the e3 Dash.

Thanks
Justin

Brambor might be onto something here. I used to wear those spandex pants with padded chamois when riding my road bike long distances and I think the riding position also kept by derriere from getting sore; most of my weight was expressed through my legs and arms when pedaling at high speed. The upright cruiser bikes (like the Metro) tend to position more weight on your butt and this gets transferred to your back and neck.

Consider the following images referenced from this post at RevoBikeReviews.com. Body position does play into aerodynamics and stuff but it also impacts your field of view when riding and the physical strain put onto different body parts. The further forward you lean the less weight is placed onto your rear. Also, seat height plays a role and how actively you're pedaling (which is usually lower on ebikes). If you're pushing hard with your feet then your rear isn't going to have to support the entire weight of your body the way it does on a soft comfy sofa... or your wife's cruiser. Fun fact, Electra patented their "flat foot" design that actually brings the bottom bracket forward from the seat post tube and provides an even more bench-like seating position that's meant to be relaxing. You might notice that from 2013 to 2014 Pedego had to stop using this design on their own cruisers due to patent rights.

1-road-bike-fitness-body-position.jpg 2-road-bike-relaxed-body-position.jpg 3-road-bike-race-body-position.jpg 4-road-bike-triathlon-body-position.jpg

Justin, you might not have the same issue with the E3 Dash because it's delivers a more aggressive forward-leaning body position. Still, proper riding attire can help and you can always consider one of the Thudbuster seat post shocks as well. You might only need the short travel ST. Just remember, with the cruiser bike you'll still be experiencing pressure from below as you bob up and down... it's just not going to be as abrasive with a suspension seat post. For me, this mostly helped the back and neck but then again, my behind never really feels that sore... so far ;)

Hey Justin, I get it. I ride an Electra Townie with the flat foot design. It is good, but the Dash felt better to me.
The seat is, well, not so much, to be honest. I am sure I will want to put a different saddle on it, but don't know what yet. The bike doesn't seemed designed to accommodate a cruiser saddle. Only time will tell, I guess. I have a seat post shock on one of my bikes and will put one on the Dash for sure.

So i have been online looking at all kinds of seats. Its seams most of them are made for the aggressive rider. I will be getting my Dash very soon and yes I will be riding in a aggressive position and will be bunny hopping curbs and having fun, BUT for the most part i will be riding in an upright position. I like to just relax and ride with no hands most of the time. So i don't think the aggressive seats will be the best for me. I see some of these seats with a hole for the tailbone. Is this something i should get? I am looking for a seat that will not make my tailbone sore when riding with no hands…..very upright i guess. plz help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mos...q4HgDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=712

Hey guys! I went through a big saddle search several years back and ended up with a mountain bike saddle from Specialized that was mostly hard but had some padding built in and also a longer nose so I could sort of maneuver the bike with my thighs. It was called the Specialized Toupé Pro.

specialized-toupe-pro-saddle.jpg

Justin... I also love to ride with no hands and bunny hop etc. and this saddle did it for me. It was more like a tool or a handle on the bike than a resting place but when I did rest, it was comfortable enough. I kept that thing from one bike to the next until I got the Pedego Interceptor and just gave the big comfy soft seats a try... I was selling my Specialized Secteur at the time and passed the saddle off to the new owner. Ultimately I explored the Thudbuster and other bike seats with the Neo Jumper.

I sold everything I owned except for a few suitcases with clothes and files, laptops etc. before moving back to Colorado recently so my new bicycle seat is just very generic. Was a used bike from Recycled Cycles, just something fun to experiment with using kits and stuff :)

I'm looking at something similar to Court's Specialized saddle. The Selle SMP Glider looks like the one I'm going to get. I haven't tried one out yet, but they are supposed to be very comfortable on long rides. Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Love the red one...would look way-cool on my Neo Jumper!

selle-smp-glider-bike-seat.jpg

That's a nice looking seat oilerlord, long for stability but hollow for comfort. Red it totally the way to go ;)

I just realized that when I was a kid, I saved & saved to buy my first 10-speed bike. By coincidence, the Selle SMP saddle costs about as much as that bike did. No real point here, just remembering the excitement I felt buying my first bike. Waiting for my Neo Jumper to arrive is giving me that same feeling.

Back