Sondors vs Radrover comparison video

BVC

In this review I compared a Sondors 7 which is nearly identical in terms of options to a radrover to see how the two bikes stack up.

I go over the bikes side by side in a comparison along with the ordering experience and the online community support (Facebook).

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for highly detailed review of the two products.

The only things I would add would be:
- the warranty periods of both bikes,
- tire sizes,
- seat and seatpost sizes (Rover had both upgraded seatpost and seat)
- the tire upgrade to Origin8 from the OEM 26X4" Kenda Juggernauts on the Radrover
- Levels of PAS and how fast does the motor engages (takes between 1/3 to 1/2 turn of the pedal to engage PAS on the Rover with 6 magnets)
- how the throttle engages for both bikes (full 750w of power at any PAS level 0-5 on Rover, Sondors ?)
- range with either bike on the same route traveled at the same speed
- ride quality and stopping power
- Issues in or out of warranty

The Sondors limited power, 30 day warranty, lack of dealerships/customer support in USA, bottle cage points, and smaller brakes scratched it off my list a year ago when I was deciding between Rad, Volt, and Sondors.

I jumped thru this, but didn't see any comments on how they ride?

I didn't mention how they ride because each person is different and that's not a fair assessment. If you took a Chevy car and Ford car side by side and asked a group of people to drive both and see their thoughts - some would say Ford drives better, others Chevy. Yet both vehicles same size, same type, ect.

Plus I have upgraded tires on my Rover so that's out the window as well.

I can say however that I really dislike the sondors triangle inside the middle of the frame. Your knees can/do rub on it from time to time. I already have some scratches on mine.

Thanks for highly detailed review of the two products.

The only things I would add would be:
- the warranty periods of both bikes,
- tire sizes,
- seat and seatpost sizes (Rover had both upgraded seatpost and seat)
- the tire upgrade to Origin8 from the OEM 26X4" Kenda Juggernauts on the Radrover
- Levels of PAS and how fast does the motor engages (takes between 1/3 to 1/2 turn of the pedal to engage PAS on the Rover with 6 magnets)
- how the throttle engages for both bikes (full 750w of power at any PAS level 0-5 on Rover, Sondors ?)
- range with either bike on the same route traveled at the same speed
- ride quality and stopping power
- Issues in or out of warranty

The Sondors limited power, 30 day warranty, lack of dealerships/customer support in USA, bottle cage points, and smaller brakes scratched it off my list a year ago when I was deciding between Rad, Volt, and Sondors.

I did forget to mention the warranty. I did add this to my description however. Good call.

Tire sizes - that's... kinda personal opinion and not something that should be compared. Plus I don't have enough knowledge of tires to know if the Sondors tires are any quality.

I did do a origin8 tire review. Separate video tho

I COULD do a full review of the Sondors to answer your other questions. But I'd rather not put that much effort into this bike anymore. Already pissed I spent that much on a shitty bike to start with lol

The other thing I dislike is unable to use my rear view camera with the Sondors bike on the rack.

Now this doesn't apply to everyone as everyones situation may be different. But in my case - on the Explorer & F150 - I can't use my backup camera because of that damn triangle case on the Sondors bike!

At least with the Rad rover I can remove the battery and see through the frame an at least see a little bit behind my vehicle.

I don't know how to use mirrors so this is a pretty big issue for me as I rely on my rearview camera. I'm just kidding. I know how to use mirrors lol funny joke. Mic fling.

IMG_9998.JPG

One thing I do like about the Sondors and Rad is the potential for upgrades with Luna Cycles. I like their approach of a regular fat tire bike with ebike components added compared to having a custom frame you find with other mid-drives or fat tire bikes. I don't think other fat tire bikes with built-in battery pack within the frame like Volt or Teo have the same upgrade potential. Between battery packs, fwd and/or 2wd systems, +1000w hubs, and up to 7500w mid-drives gives the Sondors and Rad frames a longer life once the original controllers/battery pack/motors wear out. We can even remove all Sondors/Rad ebike components and add to another fat tire bike if we wanted.

I have a similar issue with my Radrover once I put a Luna Cycle triangle bag over the battery pack. I have a front/rear Blackvue DR650 dash cam on my SUV I can switch to if my regular licence plate mounted back-up cam is blocked by the rovers. I also added extra 4-way lights to my Saris bike carrier and plug into my hitch harness since the 4" fat tires block the rear tail lights and back up light a little bit.

Last edited:
Valid points. Personally I wouldn't buy the upgraded Sondors if I planned on modding it. I'd opt for the $600 bike tho... if I wanted to mod it like that overall I'd just buy the e-bike kit and just source a frame lol

You're right tho - both Rad an Sondors have the ability to be upgraded, swapped, updated, improved on far easier than other bikes like you mentioned.

You have pics of your blackvue installed? I thought about adding a dash cam to my bike too LOL but haven't gotten that far yet. Glad to hear someone has already done it. Super easy to do. Just need a step down of course for power.

The Blackvue is in my Acura MDX and it is high mounted on the front windshield and rear hatch. The rear camera is high enough to look over the Radrovers when mounted on the bike rack. I can link to the dash-cam by wi-fi using my iPhone to see behind me if I'm backing up in a tight spot. I only use this option if I'm staying at a hotel and I need to back the vehicle in a spot that has extra space to overhang the bikes (and my front end isn't sticking out too far). I use the same procedure when my cargo box is on my SUV and it also blocks my rear cam and back up lights.

OHHHHH I mis-read that. I see what you're saying now

I thought you mounted the dash cam ON the bike.

Anyone know who this troll is? I'm trying to cross reference who it is. See if his story checks out..

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 9.09.05 AM.png

I knew you would get some, if not a lot, of pushback. A lot of the Sondors owners are faithful to a fault, some I consider blind disciples. I agree that they use very heavy censorship on the Facebook owners page. I bought an original fat off Craigslist in May 2016 and was just as enthusiastic as most owners. Well the ones that don't have major issues out of the box. LOL! I put 1500 trouble free miles on it. Then I road something else and bought it. A Haibike XDURO Full Seven S RX. For months after that I only got the Sondors out twice, just to ride in the snow. I recently rode the Sondors again and every time I get it out, I ask myself how the hell I rode and enjoyed it for all those miles! It rides just like a log wagon compared to the Haibike. The main reason of course was the price. It was a lot of fun for $500. I do need to pull the motor and glue the magnets back in. A very common issue with Sondors. But I probably won't sell it until the climate change advances and we don't get any snow in Central IL.

Reactions: BVC
I didn't mention how they ride because each person is different and that's not a fair assessment. If you took a Chevy car and Ford car side by side and asked a group of people to drive both and see their thoughts - some would say Ford drives better, others Chevy. Yet both vehicles same size, same type, ect.

Plus I have upgraded tires on my Rover so that's out the window as well.

I can say however that I really dislike the sondors triangle inside the middle of the frame. Your knees can/do rub on it from time to time. I already have some scratches on mine.

I was curious about things like the max speed, if you liked the pedal assist, if the gearing was appropriate, and if the brakes worked well. A lot of these can be adjusted of course, or replaced. You did tell us that the Sondors front springs are just for show.

I have a steel frame fatbike with the same motor. I put a three speed up front, but would need a taller big gear so the pedals can keep up with the motor over 20 mph. I never go that fast with it, so that's never going to happen. Slow summer rides near twilight on the local bike paths are what I like best on it. With Veeco slicks, it's silent and I have had spooked deer jump in front of me. The flashing strobe light up front has every bug around hovering in the middle of the path waiting to greet their big friend too. Otherwise, it really is like a truck. Big turning circle, and I wonder if the tires will hold on turns. I'm glad it's not my only ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: BVC
Back