SOLVED: Can't increase/decrease Creo power and can't turn OFF

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington
I hope someone will say it's that little battery under the TCU that needs replacement???? I have not used the bike in a few weeks and it was at the shop getting various things tweaked. I charged it this morning and it turned on/off okay. I interrupted the charge at 95% to go for a ride. It restarted. It paired with Mission control although it did not pair with the TCD (or whatever abbrev the little computer is). But then I tried upping the power from the Creo remotes. Nothing. Then from the TCU - more NOTHING. I could not even turn it off using the TCU. I did 'reboot' it by holding both buttons and then it did power on but still would not allow power change or PowerOff.

The TCU needs a XX torque driver??? XX being???

HELP! I am wasting a dry, rare dry day!

edited to add: could they have made getting that freekin (in lieu of the F word I wanted to use) battery out of there? I can't budge it and I have four or five different tweezers.

Last edited:
Maybe just unplug the TCU to attempt a cold reboot?

In any event riding it with the Power on but no assist just requires a little more rider input. 😆

Last edited:
Maybe just unplug the TCU to attempt a cold reboot?

In any event riding it with the Power on but no assist just requires a little more rider input. 😆
This rider has used all of his rider input over the years and now needs supplementary power ;)

I could not get the battery out. There was no room for tweezers. I even tried a dental tool around the end. Took it down to bike shop. He replaced the battery but the error still remained. I did not attempt to a full factory reset but gave him permission if necessary.

He admitted that removing the battery was not easy. He did unplug the TCU so it was freed from the wiring and pressed on the little retainer thing and then slammed the unit into his palm to dislodge the battery - really well designed crap! I mean who designed a dime sized coin battery compartment in a tight, narrow slot.

I had also forwarded the advanced diagnostics to Specialized from Mission Control but it is a weekend. He was going to put it on their diagnostic software and it is listed as "warranty" work.

Sorry to hear about your issue! Isn't this the 2nd problem you've had right after the bike being in the shop?

Those guys have a pretty good rep AFAIK but still it's disconcerting....

Sorry to hear about your issue! Isn't this the 2nd problem you've had right after the bike being in the shop?

Those guys have a pretty good rep AFAIK but still it's disconcerting....
I don't think that they touched any of the electronics - pads, bled brakes, chain issues and bent hanger.

They did install the Creo remote buttons but that was a while ago and it was working fine. Hopefully, they will examine those wires with the thing-a-ma-who-zit out of the top tube. I may call them tomorrow when they open.

The maybe odd thing - Mission Control could still communicate with the bike, I was able to reset the startup power setting. It showed battery power and the change as it charged. It communicated the route to where I turned around and back. But neither button did anything. The top button did not cycle power settings and the bottom button would not turn off power. But once rebooted (press and hold top and bottom button till it powers off), the bottom button would restart it and it would go through its graphic gyrations - the battery lines bounced up and down and then settled ON.

I presume that they will find it. I still find the small button battery's placement a poor design choice. And the manual shows it being user-serviceable. HA!

I don't think that they touched any of the electronics - pads, bled brakes, chain issues and bent hanger.

They did install the Creo remote buttons but that was a while ago and it was working fine. Hopefully, they will examine those wires with the thing-a-ma-who-zit out of the top tube. I may call them tomorrow when they open.

The maybe odd thing - Mission Control could still communicate with the bike, I was able to reset the startup power setting. It showed battery power and the change as it charged. It communicated the route to where I turned around and back. But neither button did anything. The top button did not cycle power settings and the bottom button would not turn off power. But once rebooted (press and hold top and bottom button till it powers off), the bottom button would restart it and it would go through its graphic gyrations - the battery lines bounced up and down and then settled ON.

I presume that they will find it. I still find the small button battery's placement a poor design choice. And the manual shows it being user-serviceable. HA!
Glad to hear that you were able to sort things out in a manner of speaking. Hopefully it was just a low or depleted battery in the TCU. There’s a bit of info on Specialized's support page which indicates typical error codes that I found helpful.

I'm sure they'll get you sorted out. They've done right by me the couple times I've worked with their Lynnwood location.

it all seems to point to something that went slightly awry when the remote buttons were installed!

Glad to hear that you were able to sort things out in a manner of speaking. Hopefully it was just a low or depleted battery in the TCU. There’s a bit of info on Specialized's support page which indicates typical error codes that I found helpful.

There were no error codes? No color coding. It just is not possible to rotate through the power values (eco, trail, turbo, and round and round) nor power the bike's motor off. Press the Power Button and nothing happens. Only by pressing the two buttons for a certain amount will the power turn off. Then the power button will turn it on. It will then do its sliding battery percentage graphic and settle in and the starting power will be what I set in Mission Control.

it all seems to point to something that went slightly awry when the remote buttons were installed!
Possible but I've used in on at least half a dozen to a dozen rides with the buttons.

Possible but I've used in on at least half a dozen to a dozen rides with the buttons.
intermittent failures are the hardest to diagnose! but did this type of problem (or any related one) with the top tube controller ever happen before the buttons?

intermittent failures are the hardest to diagnose! but did this type of problem (or any related one) with the top tube controller ever happen before the buttons?
The top tube controller never gave me any issues.

Maybe I should add that we got caught in a pretty heavy rain a few weeks back but it worked fine after that too. But, of course, water could have penetrated but not created problems for a few weeks. But, again, it charges fine, I can "see" the Creo using Mission Control. I can change the startup power mode using MC. At the moment it is not intermittent - it just does not work. Hopefully, their diagnostic software will show something. Again, the top tube controller is not showing any error code colors. It just will not adjust power nor turn off. But if I "reboot" the power button will turn it on, and the graphic display runs its pattern.

We shall see.

Sunshine today although, not warm, and I will use another bike unless the shop figures it out early.

DING DING DING

We have a winner. Apparently they wrapped the buttons too tight and it was forced ON or OFF or just stopped responding. Although, as I wrote, the buttons have been working for a couple of months and rides now.

At least, that is the report so far. The proof will be in the pudding, or rather the 20 mile ride planned for about half and hour from now. While the sun shines make hay....

I had the same exact issue last night. However, this was after I installed the road-remotes on my new Creo SL Expert. I tested everything, wrapped the bars (the remotes are under the bar behind the drop clamp), tested again and everything was working great. I then installed the TCU which was tight with the wiring, and tested again. This time, the TCU switched on, but the remote did not work. The TCU also would not switch off and the power control would not switch off. It was stuck on.

I removed the TCU again, checked the connections, couldn't see any issue, and tried again. This time it worked as per normal.

So, installing the TCU again, I routed the wiring differently so it was not so tight (more tucked in the steerer tube rather than the top tube) and this time round it all worked. I never did diagnose what happened. I have to assume that it was perhaps a pinched or stressed cable from being too tight when first installed.

Last edited:
I had the same exact issue last night. However, this was after I installed the road-remotes on my new Creo SL Expert. I tested everything, wrapped the bars (the remotes are under the bar behind the drop camp), tested again and everything was working great. I then installed the TCU which was tight with the wiring, and tested again. This time, the TCU switched on, but the remote did not work. The TCU also would not switch off and the power control would not switch off. It was stuck on.

I removed the TCU again, checked the connections, couldn't see any issue, and tried again. This time it worked as per normal.

So, installing the TCU again, I routed the wiring differently so it was not so tight (more tucked in the steerer tube rather than the top tube) and this time round it all worked. I never did diagnose what happened. I have to assume that it was perhaps a pinched or stressed cable from being too tight when first installed.
That was almost exactly how mine reacted or exactly. It fired up normally in Eco (my starting choice). There was a quick sharp rise and I planned for it by using the UP button. No reaction, repeatedly. I then hit the TCU button and no reaction. I yelled to my riding partner. I stopped and figured I would power off and it would go back to normal. But I could not power off and I could not select the power. Trapped in Eco. I convinced my friend to ride without me and she headed off. I then played a bit and rebooted by pressing both TCU buttons and it powered off. On again, still no control and no OFF. Reboot again. I then used Mission Control and changed the startup power to Trail (second power) for the hill back up to my house.

I guess it is not quite as simple as plug and play! Glad you quickly found the issue. And you noticed it quickly. My buttons were installed by the shop so I can blame them. BUT it worked fine for weeks and quite a number of rides. So it may be possible that pressing those buttons (mine are under the bar wrap), there might have been a slow shifting of one or both of their positions leading to more pressure after the movement. But the fact that mine happened on a ride made it a bit more unnerving but it was only about two miles into the ride.

Something to keep an eye on.

Did not know you could do that! 👍
Apparently, just hold both until it powers off.

CAUTION

To perform a factory reset (Fig. 7.6).

Long-press (hold) the Mode button.
Press and release the Power button (continue pressing the Mode button. LEDs will light up.
Continue to long-press the Mode button for 10 seconds, until the LEDs turn off and turn back on.
Release the Mode button.
Factory reset is complete.

I believe forgets most things, including its Pairing with Mission Control and your phone, etc. It probably retains certain info like battery charge cycles and total mileage type of stuff but I don't know for sure.

It probably retains certain info like battery charge cycles and total mileage
It must.
The battery cycles figure is stored in the battery. The odometer is a motor parameter. If you replace the motor, the mileage is lost. Each battery you own has its own number of cycles.

Back