[SOLVED] Bafang BBS02 : crackling noise when pedaling : any idea why ?

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy for months. I ride (with no pedal assist for the first 10 miles) about 13 miles a day. Every day, I would listen to this bike squeak on every down thrust of the pedals yet when I let it freewheel, backpedal or e-throttle the noise never occurred. Over those many miles, the thoughts just rattled around in my head until I came to the conclusion that it could only be the bearing assemblies in the motor. However, when I went to take the motor out I realized that it was semi-loose and hitting the frame each time either pedal was pushed. Looking at the motor with a flashlight, I discovered wear marks on the motor and frame. I put a small rubber block between the motor and frame and re-tightened the nut. Just like magic, it disappeared. The noise was extremely loud and got worse with time. You would have sworn the pedals were making the noise but such was not the case. In this application, the Bafang was mounted to a GIANT ROAM frame and has been on the road for about 3500 miles now. Other than this squeak problem the combination of Bafang and bike has performed well.

Back