Solution for a second battery

Steppenwolff

Region
Europe
Hello guys. I would like to mount a second battery on my e-bike, and I have been looking for a kit to mount the second battery, but i didn't find one. Do you have any suggestions for one?
My e-bike is powered by bosch 3th generation, powerpack battery. I would like to mount something like in this image, but this mount is out of stock.
s-l500.jpg

I was interested in adding a second battery to my Gen 2 Performance equipped bike - but in the end decided to take the easy path and just carry an additional PowerPack.

I re-used an old CamelBak cover (fits very nicely - just a little on too long) to protect it a little and I strap it to my rear rack. I can switch batteries in about 2 minutes and it's also easy to simply leave it at home, when I KNOW I won't be needing it.

I learned about this on our bosch powered tandem. came with two batteries mounts but only one was wired. to get the second one to work the motor needs updated to accept it and a dealer cant do it. but the second holder makes it easy to carry a spare battery.

@Steppenwolff Are you trying to just MOUNT a spare battery on your frame or do you actually want to connect both batteries?

What bike do you have? Many brands have an extender kit available through dealers but they aren't generally sold directly. Here's the kit from Haibike (not available anywhere I can find right now):
1619663241434.png

Alright i'm not going to engage in a conversation with condescending people. No s*it you can't just "wire them together", I mean gee, who clued you in Dick Tracy?. I wasn't talking about some kind of hob job here. This is an electronic device, that allows communication between batteries, while preventing current surges between unequally charged batteries.
I am not being condescending I just keep things simple because I am terrible about communication. bosch batteries if you use two work in tandem the motor draws from one then the other and switches back and forth. the motor communicates with the battery if you could plug two in you cant wire then to communicate with each other that needs to happen through the motor. if you attempted something the system is just going to throw an error message.

@Steppenwolff Are you trying to just MOUNT a spare battery on your frame or do you actually want to connect both batteries?

What bike do you have? Many brands have an extender kit available through dealers but they aren't generally sold directly. Here's the kit from Haibike (not available anywhere I can find right now):
it will only work if the motor has been setup for it. a dealer cant program for out it is done on the manufacture level or a rep level. we could not get our tandem working with two because for some dumb reason the company did not set it up even though they sell a second battery option. but myself I rather have the seconds battery not connected. because if you don't need it it wont get drained so you don't have to charge both batteries.

Yeah i get into berating people who treat me in a condescending manner, if you mess with the bull, you get the horns. I have a ton of experience with batteries and battery architecture. And i can assure you without hesitation that while Bosch may have their own plugs that include a key sensor, they still connect the battery with the same red and black wire everyone else in the entire industry uses.

Hello guys. I would like to mount a second battery on my e-bike, and I have been looking for a kit to mount the second battery, but i didn't find one. Do you have any suggestions for one?
My e-bike is powered by bosch 3th generation, powerpack battery. I would like to mount something like in this image, but this mount is out of stock.View attachment 85998
And now for something completely different...
I’m fascinated by that PowerTube mount! Never heard of it before. Sorry it’s (like so much other stuff these days) out of stock. I’ve been waiting over 6 months now for a spare PowerTube battery!
My Allant+7 takes a 500wh PowerTube and, because I didn’t want to put an ugly Range Boost setup on the outside of the bike, I bought something to carry a spare battery along with me. Good luck!

Attachments

• 10B61B10-0FF6-41F6-AA17-5E68D504A417.jpeg
    10B61B10-0FF6-41F6-AA17-5E68D504A417.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 5155E651-CDBE-4C29-8B88-986B42AA8413.jpeg
    5155E651-CDBE-4C29-8B88-986B42AA8413.jpeg
    734.3 KB · Views: 441
  • 4E03BD04-9923-4670-BB79-507139392EED.jpeg
    4E03BD04-9923-4670-BB79-507139392EED.jpeg
    924.9 KB · Views: 533
I think that's a powerpack mount, not powertube?

Anyways, REI has 500wh vertical powertubes available to order.

I have a ton of experience with batteries and battery architecture. And i can assure you without hesitation that while Bosch may have their own plugs that include a key sensor, they still connect the battery with the same red and black wire everyone else in the entire industry uses.
Bosch ebike batteries at a minimum have 3 conductors, Pos, Neg & the CAN bus line. Bosch ebike batteries have their own Firmware & record s/no., min, max temp, charge cycles, voltage, etc. and can supply the motor/display this information via the CAN bus, also can be switched on & off via the bus.
With conventional ebike experience you would think you could measure the battery voltage at the + & - conductors too but no, not with the Bosch ebike battery.
Their default state on those conductors is open circuit.
And with your experience, get your horns around :) the following picture of an older Bosch ebike BMS, i think you would have to agree that it's a bit more complex than the average bear.
IMG_20180828_194134.jpg

This complexity allows for the following on a dual battery system:
Charging: bat1 charges to approx 80%, then bat2 to approx 80% then both batteries are simultaneously topped off (CV) to 100%.
Usage whilst powering the motor: bat1 is used for approx 5% of it's SOC/DOD, then bat2 for approx 5% of it's SOC/DOD, and repeat.
This keeps the batteries at a similar SOC/DOD and also allows for chemistry/temperatures to settle/cool.
Also safety as to when the bike is off there is no major power on the cable harnesses.

Last edited:

View attachment 86111
Hello. I just want to mount a second battery, it's not necessary to connect the both battery. I would like something like in the picture I put above. Something to mount instead of the water bottle. I possess this bike: Hercules Futura Gates F8

Without knowing what kind of bike and what kind of battery, it is impossible to offer relevant advice. What brand of bike? What model? How about a picture of your bike so we can see where it might fit properly?

If you have a Bosch power pack that would fit on the mount you showed us, the easiest solution is to pack along an extra battery and just swap it out as needed. The Orlieb E-mate is an excellent choice of ways to safely carry as spare on board.

Last edited:
Back