Solid-looking new Fenix bike headlight ...

Captain Ron

Hi Guys,

This has just been released, and I am thinking that mine will be in my rural Alberta Post Office tomorrow ... ordered two weeks ago ...

My new Radmission arrived a couple of weeks ago, and mounting the headlamp in the designated spot was nixed by an obvious (bolting) incompatibility with the almost-obligatory aftermarket "stem-riser" that was a necessity on my bike ... for my body ... I am six-foot tall and old and need the bars as high as my seat. The stock headlight was moved to a placement on the very bottom of the steering tube. Which placed it about 3 cm above the front tire ... which blocked the road illumination immediately in front of the bike.

So, I ordered this new state-a-the-art bike light. I already have Fenix batteries and the Fenix charger for my stellar Fenix flashlights ... so that did make my decision a no-brainer.

The BC30 V2.0 will also make a helluva flashlight when I am not riding my bike on a dark road or trail ... which is about 99.82% of my awake (but not woke) life.

Very excited for this new package ...

Last edited:
I have the BC35R, and I'm a bit disappointed that I can go on max brightness for 20 second max.
Hi Timpo,

I think that that (along with the BC35R's lower burst lumens) is because my headlight uses removable (externally charged) 18650 batteries ... which I (lucky bastard) already owned.

We'll both be fine ... this stuff is just splitting hairs ...

I’ve had a bc30r. 1600 lumens for a couple years And it’s been solid, still charges up, and I think it’s about 90 minutes at brightest light.
‘I highly recommend their stuff.

I like the removable batteries but I was disappointed that I could only go max power for 20 seconds.
It came with this little remote thing, and I have to keep holding onto the button to get the brightest setting.
And I have to keep pressing the button on remote for 20 seconds if I want to get the max brightness for whole 20 seconds.

The funny thing is, I can press it again for another 20 seconds right after to get another 20 seconds of max brightness.
So why don't they give me the max setting button? I have no idea.

Seriously, they dont even list the battery time for their highest setting, your explanation says it all....misleading advertising at worst/best, its really not '2200 lumens', its 1500....

fenix-bc30-v2.0-1-1024-013.jpg

Does the BC30 V2.0 come with lens cut off?

In this picture, they make it seem like there's a cutoff line, but unlike BC35R, the BC30 V2.0 does not have lens cut off.

That's why I went with the BC35R because I was specifically looking for the beam cutoff.

Fenix BC30 V2.0
Hi Timpo,

This detailed review of an almost identical light (the original BC30 ... not my incoming Version 2) should answer your question. The issue is also discussed in detail in the comments.

Bottom line? This newer light is probably about as good as it can be. They've had years to tweak it, right? The diagram does reveal what they tried their best to do ... design a powerful light that illuminates the road while trying to avoid pissing-off oncoming fellow travellers. It's up to the rider to clamp the light to facilitate the best compromise.

Captain Ron posted his comments while I was doing an intensive study of the available bicycle headlights. I would agree that Fenix products are best suited since they offer several styles to choose from whether powered by internal rechargeable batteries or using replaceable rechargeable batteries. The brightest bike lights will have one or more LED and use Li-ion batteries. As one reviewer commented with just a few words, he prefers changing the batteries when necessary. To those who are not familiar, the Fenix BC30 V2 series lights are the standout from the several other brands of competing lights that can provide a constant 2200 Lumens simply by changing the batteries. Running it at a lower intensity allows the light to run longer and possibly with enough light that never requires new batteries during the ride. Replacing the batteries seems to be preferred for riders who want the brightest light available for the entire ride, which can last for more hours than built-in rechargeable batteries will remain charged. For example, the popular alternative Nitecore BR35 rechargeable bike light will provide from 2 to 17 hours of light, but only 2 hours at maximum brightness at 1800 Lumens. Otherwise, they are still well equipped enough to throw out bright light for several hours at a lower intensity. If still needed after fully using up their power though, then what? IMHO it is easier to carry and replace the batteries than carry an extra complete light assembly to slide on when needed. And I'm certainly not criticizing others or the choices they make.
Fenix and Nitecore have their own full line of accessory products that include batteries, chargers, mounts, remotes, you name it. But Nightcore's only entry for bike lights is a rechargeable mounted light and it also includes all the bells and whistles that make the others a favorite. Compare that to the hi-end products from a third company named Nightrider that offers several rechargeable units at varying levels of brightness all the way up to their Pro model at 4200 Lumens. Even though there are several other similar bike lights, they mostly have lesser abilities, so sticking with these three companies, the dedicated rider who wants the most night vision and other features like remote control, will find it is available from one of these three brands.
Hundreds of bike lights are available simply by doing a product search at Amazon for "1000+ Lumen Bike Lights". Undoubtedly, anyone can find their perfect bike light for under $50. However, pricing to have the best runs between $100 and $200, but some pro models are priced up to around $500.
In my vicinity, nobody rides bikes at night. Not even me. But with the many opinions from buyers criticizing the lights provided on the e-bikes, I decided that a little studying up on what is available would net a good reliable and popular bright light for whenever I actually need one. I found the light, but was also startled a bit by what else I discovered. More about that later.
What is also interesting in this thread is the concern for others to avoid blasting oncoming traffic with bright light beams in their eyes. That's consideration of the highest level that is just not found around here. Actually the concern when riding the dark trails at night would be to have all the light possible, thus the need for mega-expensive beams attached to a super power pack. They are all currently listed as sold out on the Niterider website.

One last thing I wanted to mention in this "short" little comment is the complication this fairly new LED and Li-ion battery technology has added in the fewer than 20 years time it has advanced. The fact that the life of flashlights and other electronic equipment has been greatly extended has shown its benefits in the many fields it now exists. Charging and switching batteries works fine provided all the equipment being used is compatible. However, there are several types of chargers and different mixtures of Li-ion compounds being used in batteries with their own specific purpose. Li-ion batteries are in fact, now classified as either protected or non-protected. The protected type are the ones the public uses and buys because there are safeties wired into the individual batteries that help prevent many of the risks that have even brought down passenger airplanes. I think there should be better education available for individuals to better understand and curtail the dangers of this new technology that one reviewer mentioned correctly "Li-ion batteries are basically little explosive devices". In fact there is explosion protection equipment available, and those who work and trade in this technology should be required to be properly trained, certified, licensed, and insured.

Lithium Ion Battery Safety - NFPA (pdf)

Another member over on the CandlePower Forum website asked me about my first impressions of the new Fenix BC30 V2 bike light ... so I might as well cut-and-paste it here as well ...

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Everything about this bike light impresses me. In the last seven or eight years I've bought several Fenix flashlights and headlamps (many as gifts for friends) and have never been disappointed or had a bad experience. I was naturally curious about what their newly-redesigned top-level bike light would be like. It is important to note that this is a freshly tweaked version of a design that's already been around for a few years. Think about that.

It might not be bright enough for the gonzo overnight endurance racer charging full-tilt down some hairy rock-strewn goat track in the Khyber Pass ... but for normal night-time trail riding and street riding day-or-night ... it's the cat's ass. The huge battery reserve (from two removable 18650's) makes using the flash feature a no-brainer default decision even at high noon ... one more way of alerting that Little Old Blue-Haired Lady in the Town Car that you *are* on the road with her.

The little remote button on the handlebar actually does fall readily-to-hand if you ever feel the need to trigger a 2200 lumen 30-second blast down the road or alley. Or just want to piss-off somebody ...

Basically I am saying to just read the specs and product blurb. It's all true. There is a whack of the very latest technology packed into that solid little package. I love its heft. Try to imagine the difference between your run-of-the-mill stainless-steel Rolex Daytona, and Marc Frankel's white gold Rolex Daytona (the subtle one with the gorgeous blue dial).

Mine is mounted on my lithe little RadPower Radmission E-bike, and I appreciate its minimalist presence on this minimalist bike. Rechargeable 18650 batteries are definitely the way to go. And when it's not on my bike it'll make a helluva good flashlight ... as if I need yet another flashlight ...

Back