Sold my acoustic Trek yesterday

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
I bought my Trek Multitrack 20 years ago for $300. I listed it about two weeks ago on Facebook Marketplace for $100. Not a lot of interest. There were a lot of bikes for sale on there but mine was cheaper. I changed the price to $75 and sold it last night. I live outside of town and he was going to come buy it but was having trouble getting an Uber. He was from Chicago and used to getting anything anytime. I have a full sized pickup and hauled it to him. He didn’t even test drive it. He handed me the money and before I left I explained that the back tube was a Presta Valve. I’m not sure he 100% understood what that meant. I hope it gets some more good use. I put new tires on it last summer and thought I would ride it some but after riding it once I new I wasn’t going to use it.
IMG_2126.jpeg

This is similar to my story. I had a Trek 2000. After not riding for a number of years, I cleaned it up, put new tires and cables on it, even new wheels (one was damaged). I rode it a few times and decided I was never going to be able to handle the hills. I bought an ebike, and shortly after that gave it to a nephew. No regrets, aside from having bought new wheels. 😂

That bike, in my opinion, would be a viable donor for an ebike conversion. And $75 is within my price range!

My wife and I have a couple of Trek Shift 4 hybrid bikes that we ride less and less due to our e-bikes. I've been keeping them for possible conversions but that is looking less likely now. The Shift 4's are great bikes but I'm not wild about the "V" brakes. They are barely adequate for a conventional bike and may be problematic on an e-bike. Conversion to hydraulic would be difficult since the wheels aren't disc compatible and there are no frame mounting bosses for calipers.

I may wind up doing what you did and just sell them.

Looks like the Trek FX has fittings for a caliper, About 50 bucks, and mechanical disks can be installed up front.
Last Fall, I promised to convert two bikes to electric for people,. Donor bikes are cheap in a CHicago winter. I didn't want to pay more than $50. Found two Wildwoods and a Giant. Like dodgeman's buyer, I just handed over the money and tossed the bike on my rack, Two sellers insisted I test ride, so I did,
In hindsight, should have paid more attention. One bike was a larger frame and came with steel rims. Two were stepthru models, and putting a battery on the top tube gets in the way of dismounting, especially if you're a senior. I have mounted one battery upside down, but it offends my engineering instincts for mechanical reliability and also my aesthetics. Oh well.
I still have my daughter's Giant bike, but she has forbidden me to touch it, so it hangs from the rafters. I also have my GT Transeo, bought new in 2015. Probably has 50 rides on it, 8 of which I have done this month, Shimano hydraulics. Shifts like butter. Not going to sell or convert it. I've really aged in 8 years, using pedal assist, so I've been putting more time on the GT.

I seem to be going the opposite direction: I haven't been riding my ebike very much, instead been spending more time with a Specialized Crosstrail I recently picked up. I really love the light weight, nimble handling, and simplicity - until I get to the few nasty hills here. I suspect with the impending onset of heat and humidity, though, the Vado will revert to being my primary ride for the summer.

Back