Solar power bike possible?

char1ie

Can I put solar panels on the back of a Rad Wagon to charge the battery? Any thoughts on whether this would be possible?

Thanks all,

Charlie

Yes, a few members have done this to their ebikes...although a bit uncommon.

If I remember correctly they are usually giant panels that are flexed to fit somewhat like a shade, or giant panels pulled in a trailer. The whole setup will be pretty expensive as far as I know investing in a large solar panel and the electronics to convert the power to charge the battery is not cheap.

Highly possible but depending on the energy needed, you can end up with big panels.

I would advise you to watch a few videos of the Sun Trip race, people are doing it to be able to use their ebike all day long but I suppose if you only need to ride a few hours, you can cut down the panels needed.

Here is the channel (lot of French content though since it is a French race).

If you are thinking about using the solar cell as your power source, forget it. If you are wanting to charge your battery while riding, it may be possible but it is certainly unpractical. The typical state of the art rooftop solar cell is 3' x 4' and is rated at 300 watts. They never actually produce that much, and that is in IDEAL conditions, clear, cool and full overhead sun. You will get 240 volts, +/-, and 1.25 Amps, IN ONE HOUR. That is no where enough to do anything but add a few minutes of riding time over the course of a ride, unless you are letting the bike sit and charge. Even then, you would only add 1/10th capacity to a 12 Amp battery, IN AN HOUR. Keep in mind that that panel will act like a sail, and will be hugely cumbersome. Unless you can situate it perfectly parallel to the ground, it will also create lift (or down force), and A gust of wind may likely seriously impact your ride safety! I think it is not a likely prospect, yet...

Having said that, I have rooftop solar, and charge my bike (and car) with solar, for free!

Stock Rad charger is 48V, 2A, so 96 watts. To get equivalent charge rate, you‘d need 100+ watts of solar. Then you have to figure out charge controller that takes power from panel(s) and provides to battery at correct voltage. A 48V lithium-compatbile charge controller would be ideal. Bike-mounted panels really aren’t practical. A more practical solution would be a solar shed in which you could store and charge your bike from a small off-grid solar system. You’ll end up spending hundreds of dollars/pounds for panels, charge controller, possibly an inverter, etc, but would be a fun project.

You will need 4 12v panels in series & a charge controller. From my research on this you will not get much of a range boost due to the limited size of the panels. I use a single 12v panel & charge controller to charge batteries. I purchased 4 12v 16Ah Lithium-ion batteries ($200) which essentially doubles the range of my Rad Wagon. Plus, it is way cheaper than the $500+ they ask for a new 14Ah battery pack I also have a trailer for my bike so carrying them along is easy. They would also easily mount on either the rack or the foot boards on the back. I can then connect them by running a wire from the batteries to the charge port on the battery pack. One thing I am trying to find out is how many Amps I can charge the Rad Battery Pack, they will tell me nothing :( In fact, Radpowerbikes will tell me nothing about the electronics on my bike.

Solar works for me.

Attachments

• 20200420_144341.jpg
    20200420_144341.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 340
Yes I ride it just as you see it in the picture. Wind is not a problem since overall mass of the bike and me is around 250 lbs which makes things stable and i normally ride with the panels close to horizontal (parallel to the ground) which makes any wind less of an issue. System is my own design. 160 watts total solar panels, 1 controller for each panel, 52 volt battery, 750 watt hub motor. Range on a sunny day going 15-18mph is an honest 100 miles or more. Panels are fully adustable for the best sun postition and i remove them when riding on cloudy days.

Yes I ride it just as you see it in the picture. Wind is not a problem since overall mass of the bike and me is around 250 lbs which makes things stable and i normally ride with the panels close to horizontal (parallel to the ground) which makes any wind less of an issue. System is my own design. 160 watts total solar panels, 1 controller for each panel, 52 volt battery, 750 watt hub motor. Range on a sunny day going 15-18mph is an honest 100 miles or more. Panels are fully adustable for the best sun postition and i remove them when riding on cloudy days.
Do you have a list of what parts you used? I am hoping to do some longer distance riding over the summer and this would be awesome to try.

I'm building up a system, I have a Rad Rover +, the Burley "Flat Bed" trailer. (I may need some framing) I have a Renogy 500w battery bank that does take solar input. They make a 200w Flex panel. I also have their 4 panel foldable 400w panel. I build up stuff slowly, obtaining components. I think the output on the panels is 12v, so you'd need the box or an inverter. That's my "Path" to solar biking in the Midwest (Iowa Based)...

Back