So today my ebike shipment arrived, and I got... a fender.

Credible Hulk

The more business they get, the more couriers SUCK. I order online regularly because I'm disabled and I don't have a car. I've noticed that as more and more people buy online, the quality of courier service has disappeared down the toilet.

I was supposed to receive my new ebike today. Back on Feb 28 the retailer sent me two tracking numbers. I assumed they were shipping the battery separately from the ebike. One shipment was labelled "fender".

I was checking the tracking info all week. It was a courier I'd never heard of. For both boxes, they gave the arrival date of today. The two boxes were sent by ground shipment from Vancouver to Toronto. They didn't scan either box, not once, all the way across Canada. There was only the scan where they picked up the boxes. There's no way those boxes came all the way across the country in a single trip. The courier's website says they scan parcels at every stop or truck change, and that they sometimes use outside contractors. No scanning done.

Then last night before bed I checked the tracking again. Only one of the boxes, the one NOT marked "fender" with weight listing of 72 lb, had updated tracking info. The box had arrived in Toronto a day before, but the courier didn't update the tracking info on their website. The "fender" box still had no updated information.

Then I sat here for most of the day, hoping both boxes were on their way. When the guy finally arrived at 3 pm, all he had was this little box, not much bigger than a shoebox. I asked him where my $2000 bike is, he just shrugged and walked away.

So immediately I called the courier. They have no idea where my ebike is. I suggested to them that maybe if they'd ever SCANNED IT which is their job - they'd know where it is. I now have to wait until the incompetent clowns find it, if one of them hasn't already stolen it.

Then to add insult to injury I opened the small box and found a stupid plastic fender, a brake cable, and a note telling me to replace them on the front wheel. No instructions on how to do either of these things, of course.

So now I get to sit around waiting who knows long for a bunch of clowns to find my ebike. I'm also going to send an email to the bike retailer to tell them what I think of their joke of a courier, and that I'll be expecting a full refund if they don't find my ebike within 5 business days.

Quick update: half an hour after I sent the email to the retailer, they called me apologizing and said they'd also follow up with the courier. He told me that if they don't find the ebike in a few days he'll send me another one. So there's some good customer service.

At least the weather's still crappy here, so a delay of a week or two isn't the end of the world.

I hope you get it resolved soon. I have had great service from most carriers including UPS, FedEx and even the USPS. The only one I have been angry with is DHL. Their notification system, routing, time it takes to transport and delivery method have left a lot to be desired. I swear they sometimes must route packages through Georgia to go from Detroit to Chicago. That said, it has been several months since I have had anything delivered using their service, so maybe they have improved.

I hope you get it resolved soon. I have had great service from most carriers including UPS, FedEx and even the USPS. The only one I have been angry with is DHL. Their notification system, routing, time it takes to transport and delivery method have left a lot to be desired. I swear they sometimes must route packages through Georgia to go from Detroit to Chicago. That said, it has been several months since I have had anything delivered using their service, so maybe they have improved.

I actually used to like DHL, at least for overseas shipments from the Orient. I haven't had any parcels from them in a while.

UPS in Canada are greedy shysters. For shipments from out of the country they charge an outrageous and illegal extra brokerage fee. I got hit with a $40 fee from them at the door when they were delivering a $100 item from the US. They only do this to Canadians as far as I know. There's a pending class action lawsuit because the fee is illegal, but our government refuses to enforce the law. However, for domestic shipments they're pretty good.

FedEx is terrible, they skip deliveries and then their pickup warehouse is miles from the middle of nowhere, with NO public transit available in the area. The last time I had to pick up a parcel from them it cost me over $100 in cab fares.

A lot of Canada's courier problems stem from the fact that almost all of the companies have amalgamated into one, and this super-corporation offers correspondingly bad service. The courier I dealt with today belongs to that conglomerate. When a retailer sends me a waybill number, I look it up and see the familiar letterhead from Corporate Conglomerate Inc., I just know my shipment will be late, lost, or I'll have to pony up a stack of cash for cab fares to pick it up.

Never had much of a problem with deliveries, a few have disappeared from China, usually $20 stuff. Amazon has never let me down.
I did get nailed for about $40 on my e-bike kit.
Are you in Iqaluit?
Patience grasshopper (remember the movie)

Back