so much for puncture resistant tires.

fooferdoggie

I think it sipped in more on the side where the protection is thinner. Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard then of course I use a co2 cartridge and the new tube won't pump up. so I had to find the hole on the first tube and patch it . of course I am late getting home and it is dark and 40 degrees. its been maybe 8 years since I changed a tire so it took a bit. but I found my lumos helmet worked great as a light to help it all out.

IMG_0355.jpg

Traveling at speed i think it doesn't take much to drive a nail through a tyre, as your bike passes over the nail the front tyre skips the nail up putting it a perfect position to drive it into the back tyre, that's what happened to mine, also marathon tyres, just had this thumping noise coming from the back wheel, pulled into post office bit later and found the nail, left it alone since the tyre was still holding air and cycled three kilometers home and removed the nail, thanks to the slime in the tube it still holds air and did so until i fitted a new tyre a year later. 43274

I got a flat with a "puncture proof" tire with a green slime self sealing inner tube in it. I patched the tube at work and when I went to re-inflate the tire I get BOOM!, ringing ears and splatted with green slime! I forgot about the unregulated psi air hose in our department! I ran across the street (on foot) and picked up a new double think tube WITHOUT slime in it. Luckily no damage to the tire or rim.

Last edited:
ya it could be I was going about 22 when I heard it thumping. I debated on slime but can be a hassle in presta tubes.

The only puncture proof is Specialized electrak 2.0.

I would get a portable flashlight.Happened to me Also when changing the batteries ,used the phone light.

The only puncture proof is Specialized electrak 2.0.

I would get a portable flashlight.Happened to me Also when changing the batteries ,used the phone light.
I had my phone and two headlights but the helmet was really great for it since it was on my head and lighted up what I was looking at.

well I guess the patch was not perfect I guess it was too cold out to work well and my tire was flat this morning. but I could pump it up and ride. found a slit in the new tube so thats why it did not work. I guess I better check new tubes right off the bat. but it will hold till Monday when I can use my lift at work to make changing the tire easier.

Does anyone else use multiple tires, layered, to avoid flats? I've never tried it, but saw when joining this forum that someone is using a 3 over a 2.5 over a 2.1 tire & tube on a fat rim. That's got to make for some heavy ass wheels, but says he hasn't had a flat or even low air(!) in ~7500 miles since doing it, biking 50mi/day; says doesn't even bother checking air pressure, carrying spare tube or CO2 anymore. That'd be nice...

my patched tube was leaking overnight so I filled it this morning went on a ride went to get a bottle of fix a flat came out the tire was flat but I needed a hose clamp to get the fix a flat in so I went to Home Depot less then a mile away and the tire went flat fast. I got the hose clamp put the fix a flat in but the tire would not hold I walked home only a mile. got home and found a blunt metal piece that went through the tube in two places. it went a little to the side of the tube where protection is thinner. so I just replaced the tube.
yes but I bet that wheel rides like a solid tire does.

I bet that wheel rides like a solid tire does.

I'm thinking with a tube at the heart of it, might not. I also ride full suspension so think that might help mitigate potentially feeling more of the road. Mainly I'm wondering if there might be any issues with that much more mass rotating. But probably less mass than solid tires and apparently they work (never tried em). Debating trying layering tires (or even solids) but kind of expensive thing to experiment with..

I would recommend going tubeless. Some punctures up to 1/8" can be fully sealed on their own. The rest you can just plug it with a tyre plug and top off the air. Worst case you would have to stick in a tube

Does anyone else use multiple tires, layered, to avoid flats? I've never tried it, but saw when joining this forum that someone is using a 3 over a 2.5 over a 2.1 tire & tube on a fat rim. That's got to make for some heavy ass wheels, but says he hasn't had a flat or even low air(!) in ~7500 miles since doing it, biking 50mi/day; says doesn't even bother checking air pressure, carrying spare tube or CO2 anymore. That'd be nice...

That actually might be worth trying. I already use the tire liners, but they seem pretty useless against anything larger than an office staple.

For my fat bike, I already need to change out the rear tire, it has about 8500k miles on it and is bald. What I'll do is cut the wire bead off and part of the sidewall down to fit inside the tire and reassemble.

Traveling at speed i think it doesn't take much to drive a nail through a tyre, as your bike passes over the nail the front tyre skips the nail up putting it a perfect position to drive it into the back tyre, that's what happened to mine, also marathon tyres, just had this thumping noise coming from the back wheel, pulled into post office bit later and found the nail, left it alone since the tyre was still holding air and cycled three kilometers home and removed the nail, thanks to the slime in the tube it still holds air and did so until i fitted a new tyre a year later. View attachment 43274
Wow, that is great! I just put slime infused tubes in one of my E-bikes last year and have been flat free. This is extreme and it held up that well. New tire needed for sure. Hope your luck changes for the better on future rides! Thanks for sharing.

Anyone tried these solid tubes?

View attachment 43372

Bell used to make a similar product but they are hard to find.

The idea is interesting but somehow I think they would give a very rough ride.
Those will be heavier and like the Tannus Airless tires ( which get poor reviews) they will have more resistance and my guess is the handling performance will be weird. On the other hand it seems virtually Impossible to get a flat with those. It looks difficult to mount those also.

Last edited:
That actually might be worth trying. I already use the tire liners, but they seem pretty useless against anything larger than an office staple.

For my fat bike, I already need to change out the rear tire, it has about 8500k miles on it and is bald. What I'll do is cut the wire bead off and part of the sidewall down to fit inside the tire and reassemble.
Hi, go to this EBReview forum thread:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...20-my-2018-kush-fat-tire-combo-recipes.26756/

Last edited:
Back