So, lights...

SpacedCowboy

What's the best solution for getting powered-from-the-dash-battery lights working on the Dash ?

I've been reading around, but nothing is standing out as easy-to-get in the US, that also is powered by the dash battery (it's just easier to charge 1 thing), has an on/off switch (this is just a preference), and powers a tail-light (since I think the Dash only has a wiring harness for the front light).

I can't believe that I'm the only one wanting lights on nights like these, so what's everyone doing ?

Cheers
Simon.

so what's everyone doing ?
Night Rider 750 on the front ($129), needed for higher speeds on dark roads and trails, daylight mode, 3 levels, swivels. Serfas 32 LED tail light, ($36ish) bright enough for daylight mode, but a little short on milliamp hours during a long ride in that mode (there is a dimmer flash too), two battery ride, >50 miles for example.

I understand wanting to tap the mains, but it really seems like you get more features with 3rd party stuff. @Chris Nolte is your man for the lights that will run off the mains. -S

What's the best solution for getting powered-from-the-dash-battery lights working on the Dash ?

I've been reading around, but nothing is standing out as easy-to-get in the US, that also is powered by the dash battery (it's just easier to charge 1 thing), has an on/off switch (this is just a preference), and powers a tail-light (since I think the Dash only has a wiring harness for the front light).

I can't believe that I'm the only one wanting lights on nights like these, so what's everyone doing ?

Cheers
Simon.
Simon
You're not the only one. ;-) I spent quite some time searching as well and found this one.

The price was ok and the light is bright enough and also wide enough.

http://www.elektrofahrrad24.de/bm-i...ruecklichtanschluss-und-schalter#.VGn4tYpXenN

When I was looking for lights one argument against integrated lights was you'd have to worry about them going out if you ran your battery down (the Dash battery isn't large enough to fully cover my 20 mile commute). Is this a real issue or is there still plenty of power for lights even after the battery can't power the motor any longer?

I can't answer that question but you don't really want to run the battery that low anyway, the BMS will preserve some necessary power but if the lights continue to draw power it could be a problem. When you get a 2nd battery I would suggest swapping the battery at 2 bars remaining, this will extend the life of the batteries. Or if you are going to pedal the 6 miles or so remaining 5 times a week, maybe before and after shots of your legs and current/future weight are in order. -S

I asked about that and a Currie engineer specifically told me that running the battery down did not hurt anything and also that I could turn the power back on manually after the system powers you down to 0 without hurting anything. I do manage to (usually) make it the full 20 miles by using lower PAS levels. I'm considering getting another battery now since I'll need one eventually anyway.

Back on topic, another reason to get regular bike lights is the ability to move them to other bikes. I have 3 other bikes and the Serfas lights I ended up with are super easy to move around.

I asked about that and a Currie engineer specifically told me that running the battery down did not hurt anything and also that I could turn the power back on manually after the system powers you down to 0 without hurting anything.
That makes sense, the running at ZERO part with a little 5 amp draw. It is however a fact that if you can avoid deep discharging, you will see better battery life.

Proceed back on topic.

I think you could flip the dash's control panel display so that it faces forward and its backlighting will be like having a patrol car spotlight on your handlebars

When I was looking for lights one argument against integrated lights was you'd have to worry about them going out if you ran your battery down (the Dash battery isn't large enough to fully cover my 20 mile commute). Is this a real issue or is there still plenty of power for lights even after the battery can't power the motor any longer?
I have a second light on bike that I use to be seen and only use the integrated one at night.
It took me a while to find an integrated light that has a build in switch in case I really want to preserve battery.
I have not used the switch yet and could avoid low batter with a second charger.

I like the fact that I know if I charge the bike, the light is fully powered. It becomes easily a production if you have to charge too many things before you actually start riding.

Don't forget the extra usb battery to recharge the phone or lights as needed, and it is a large production , it takes an hour to leave, way too long but its cold

Back