Smartphone mount: A bad experience

Assuming that you are using a product like JB Weld?
More or less the same. Interestingly, not all American products are available in Europe. For instance, I need to find genuine Loctite here yet. Replacement products are available though.

I too have had several mounts fail. and I finally found "THE MOUNT"

I bought this one for my motorcycle. and when I had my motorcycle accident in 10-2020 (got clipped by a squid on the highway) I dropped my cruiser at 50+mph, handlebars got mangled, but my phone remained in the mount and untouched.

I have since put them on my e-bikes.

I have tried several different smartphone mounts since 2013; none lasted out long. After a September crash (I fell with an e-bike at 30 km/h, luckily with minor injuries) -- another smartphone mount failed at that time -- I thought I finally found the mount. It was the Spigen MF-100. As I was initially so satisfied with the concept, I bought two MF-100s, each for one of my e-bikes. The spare Universal Adapter was kept in the case I replaced my 6.5" Honor 8x in the future.

The concept is perfect. You install the mount on the handlebar and you fasten the Universal Adapter to your rugged smartphone case with provided 3M tape. When riding out, you just match the slots of the adapter with the tongues on the MF-100 mount, turn anti-clockwise 45 degrees, click! and you are there. It is very stable and it survived two e-bike falls.

And the bad day has come. Because of low temperatures, humidity and vibration, the 3M tape lost adhesion with the smartphone case, the phone flew away. The front glass of the phone cracked a little. As my phone is really a die-hard, it is still functioning well. I took out the new Universal Adapter with a fresh 3M tape from a sealed bag, cleaned the surface of the phone case and fastened the adapter to the case again.

Next ride - exactly the same happened. The tape unfastened and the phone fell off again!

Now I glued the Universal Adapter to the phone case with so-called "plastic weld", a strong binary component glue. Let us see if that works out.

Friends, don't dissuade me from using the MF-100. The mount is made from carbon composite and it dampens the vibrations sensationally well. Only the 3M tape is the culprit. I should have applied the plastic weld in the first case...

not sure how you applied the 3m tape. but that stuff is used for automotive parts and is very strong if applied correctly.

in my experience installing spoilers and emblems on cars for 20 years.

clean the surface with 70%-90% Isopropyl Alcohol
heat the surface of the phone case with a hair dryer or heat gun
pull the protective film off 3m on the adapter
slightly heat the 3m tape - don't heat too much as you don't want to melt the tape, but you want it hot.
stick to the clean and heated surface of the phone case.

hold in place for 30-60 seconds.

3m tape shouldn't come off without the help from severe heat (heat gun) and a fishing line to cut it while being heated.

heating the surface activates the 3m adhesive: 120° is the optimal temp for the adhesive to achieve 100% bonding strength according to 3M

Last edited:
not sure how you applied the 3m tape. but that stuff is used for automotive parts and is very strong if applied correctly.

slightly heat the 3m tape - don't heat too much as you don't want to melt the tape, but you want it hot.

3m tape shouldn't come off with help from severe heat (heat gun) and a fishing line to cut it while being heated.

heating the surface activates the 3m adhesive: 120° is the optimal temp for the adhesive to achieve 100% bonding strength according to 3M
Quadlock wrote none of this, except of the need of cleaning the surface.

I know this isn't the same thing and most of you don't like clutter, but I found a toptube bag to be the safest thing for my phone. I rarely need to look at my phone while riding as I ride to escape, but I can easily see it when I do and it's also a great place for a wallet, keys etc...
Even the most secure handlebar mount isn't going to protect your phone if things get ugly... and that's when you'll probably need your phone most.

Screenshot_20220228-170246_Chrome.jpg

3m tape shouldn't come off with help from severe heat (heat gun) and a fishing line to cut it while being heated.

3M VHB tape like that used in the automotive and shower door industry is extremely secure if the surface is cleaned and the tape properly applied.

3M VHB tape like that used in the automotive and shower door industry is extremely secure if the surface is cleaned and the tape properly applied.

100% agreed. heating the surface is key, 3M states that on their site, 120° activates the adhesion for 100% bonding strength. I think it was even noted that at 90° only 50% bonding strength is achieved, so one can imagine below 90° that 3m tape won't adhere very well.

Last edited:
I know this isn't the same thing and most of you don't like clutter, but I found a toptube bag to be the safest thing for my phone. I rarely need to look at my phone while riding as I ride to escape, but I can easily see it when I do and it's also a great place for a wallet, keys etc...
Even the most secure handlebar mount isn't going to protect your phone if things get ugly... and that's when you'll probably need your phone most.

View attachment 115553
I use that bag.

But i still use a Quadlock, IMHO the best phone mount. In the bag i have snacks, multitool and assorted small bits, and an extra battery pack and cable for my phone. With Strava running, with screen on all the time, my aged GS7 just doesn't last, especially on rides where I am listening to audiobooks via Bluetooth.

If you get that bag, best apply some film to the top tube to protect the finish.

Back