Smartphone mount: A bad experience

Careful. I expressed my opinion that the Mirrcycle is inadequate for speed pedelec use and I was roundly chastised by forum members. But in spite of the flaming, I haven't changed my opinion. This picture, where I overlayed a cutout of the Mirrcycle on my Ergotech says it all (imo). When I go through the winding roads of an urban park in my area, the Mirrcycle sometimes cannot see the cars coming around curves behind me although it is positioned perfectly for riding on a straightaway. I find myself having to fiddle with the Mirrcycles a lot. This Ergotec (on my Haibike) gives me a wider view without being a gigantic mirror. My B&Ms on my faster bikes I also think are just more adequate for a speed pedelec. I have Mirrcycles on my Terns where I value more the compact size and travel at lower speeds.
View attachment 45408

Here is the thread you referenced: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/ebike-mirror-recommendation.30921/#post-233942

I just read thru the whole thing and didn't find any 'chastising' or 'flaming'.
It would seem you thought other choices or preference was some kind of slight on you - it's just not.

You expressed difficulties that no one else had - it's okay to disagree. Personal experiences and opinions are why we're all here.

Here is the thread you referenced: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/ebike-mirror-recommendation.30921/#post-233942

I just read thru the whole thing and didn't find any 'chastising' or 'flaming'.
It would seem you thought other choices or preference was some kind of slight on you - it's just not.

You expressed difficulties that no one else had - it's okay to disagree. Personal experiences and opinions are why we're all here.

The exaggeration of the response was intended as tongue in cheek or to be a bit facetious ... that people can be pretty passionate about a seemingly benign topic like a mirror (or a taillight or whatever) ...

I just want to tell everybody the Spigen Universal Adapter connected with my smartphone's Karbon Case by the Plastic Weld glue keeps indeed very strongly. As it were the Quad Lock phone-specific case :D

Going a little off-topic: Do you use a bell on your e-bike? Sometimes I have to ride on the dedicated bike lane with my Vado 5 (although that is technically speaking illegal). In my country, many pedestrians walk on bike-only lanes, who cares? If I use the horn, people are not familiar with the sound and just ignore it. They are, however, familiar with the bike-bell tone. So I bought two tiny bells, one for each of my e-bikes. Hallelujah! People can hear the bell, turn around, see me smiling and they readily let me pass. The bell tone is gentle, not as aggressive and impolite as the horn sound.

My iPhone streams to hearing aids. But typically I go riding to escape looking at screens.;)

I

Going a little off-topic: Do you use a bell on your e-bike? Sometimes I have to ride on the dedicated bike lane with my Vado 5 (although that is technically speaking illegal). In my country, many pedestrians walk on bike-only lanes, who cares? If I use the horn, people are not familiar with the sound and just ignore it. They are, however, familiar with the bike-bell tone. So I bought two tiny bells, one for each of my e-bikes. Hallelujah! People can hear the bell, turn around, see me smiling and they readily let me pass. The bell tone is gentle, not as aggressive and impolite as the horn sound.

All my bikes have a bell. Mirrycle bell from your side mirror maker. BTW, I tuck mine in and even with my big butt I have a good view. I have a couple of Airzound horns on my two street bikes, but not on my bike/walking path setups. (250 and 350w limited to 15mph for public park path around the local lake. )

Bells are good on the strand. Wifey uses hers, I don't have one. People are used to hearing them and don't step in front of you. And yes, WAY less annoying than any horn.
If I'm sneaking up on a ped I just call out 'on your left'.

Bells are good on the strand. Wifey uses hers, I don't have one. People are used to hearing them and don't step in front of you. And yes, WAY less annoying than any horn.
If I'm sneaking up on a ped I just call out 'on your left'.
With the windy weather we're experiencing here, people simply cannot hear the shouting...

I use both bell and horn, bell mostly for peds, but if they jogging along with q-tips/cotton buds in their ears then they don't hear anything except whatever they are listening to on their phones

I think an air horn is the next upgrade

I just want to tell everybody the Spigen Universal Adapter connected with my smartphone's Karbon Case by the Plastic Weld glue keeps indeed very strongly. As it were the Quad Lock phone-specific case :D

I have both a horn and a bell. I use the bell when I'm on bike and multi-use paths. I use the horn when I'm on streets or when I run across people that aren't paying attention (usually due to headphones or earbuds in their ears). I give them a couple rings and if they don't respond I use the horn as a last resort. My horn has already saved me from an inattentive driver at least once since I put it on the bike. I will always mount a horn moving forward.

I use these bells. Discrete yet just as loud as the larger bells I think.
3B4E12D5-902F-4348-B707-1DDA3622FEB9.png

Reviving the Old Thread

I have been using Spigen Gearlock smartphone mounts on all my e-bikes until quite recently. After my (inexpensive) Xiaomi Poco phone fell off Gearlock recently (no damage to the phone), I thought it was the right time for a change.

Technically speaking, I only need a smartphone mount on my full power Vado 5.0. It is because I ride this e-bike on demanding long and/or hilly trips, and need to peek at the BLEvo app frequently, for instance to determine the remaining battery range. (When riding my Vado SL, the smartphone can be safely tucked into my jersey pocket or in a pannier/backpack).

I hear a lot good about QuadLock. I only regret the Quadlock integrated phone cases are only available for the expensive iPhone, Samsung, Pixel and Huawei models. The rest of smartphones has to do with the QuadLock Universal Adapter, which is attached to the back of the phone (or the phone case) by a 3M adhesive tape. (Similar tape failed for my Gearlock but that could be because of the inadequate surface of the phone case).

The difference for the QuadLock is the brand has specifically defined what surfaces are (and which are not) suitable for the 3M tape. They explicitly stated the adapter with hold to the glass back of a smartphone ideally. Well. I attached the Universal Adapted to the cleaned and dried glass back of my Poco. After 24 hours, it looks the adapter holds perfectly! We'll see...

Has any of you had experiences with QuadLock Universal Adapter? Please share!

Although handlebar mounts for smartphones are indeed handy for easy viewing, something can be said for carrying the phone in your pocket. I recently read of an unfortunate fellow who was injured when he was thrown from his bike on a remote trail. Due to his injuries, he was unable to get back to his bike. Fortunately, he had his smartphone in his pocket and was able to call for help.

Unfortunately, many of the great cycling apps we have are useless if the phone isn't in view and easily accessible. There is definitely a safety vs convenience factor involved.

If I'm riding alone in a remote area, I now carry my phone in my pocket and use dual GPS devices for location & riding data. Both can connect to the phone via Bluetooth for some smartphone apps.

Reviving the Old Thread

I have been using Spigen Gearlock smartphone mounts on all my e-bikes until quite recently. After my (inexpensive) Xiaomi Poco phone fell off Gearlock recently (no damage to the phone), I thought it was the right time for a change.

Technically speaking, I only need a smartphone mount on my full power Vado 5.0. It is because I ride this e-bike on demanding long and/or hilly trips, and need to peek at the BLEvo app frequently, for instance to determine the remaining battery range. (When riding my Vado SL, the smartphone can be safely tucked into my jersey pocket or in a pannier/backpack).

I hear a lot good about QuadLock. I only regret the Quadlock integrated phone cases are only available for the expensive iPhone, Samsung, Pixel and Huawei models. The rest of smartphones has to do with the QuadLock Universal Adapter, which is attached to the back of the phone (or the phone case) by a 3M adhesive tape. (Similar tape failed for my Gearlock but that could be because of the inadequate surface of the phone case).

The difference for the QuadLock is the brand has specifically defined what surfaces are (and which are not) suitable for the 3M tape. They explicitly stated the adapter with hold to the glass back of a smartphone ideally. Well. I attached the Universal Adapted to the cleaned and dried glass back of my Poco. After 24 hours, it looks the adapter holds perfectly! We'll see...

Has any of you had experiences with QuadLock Universal Adapter? Please share!
Stefan -My wife’s Pixel 5 is housed in a Spigen case with the Quadlock universal mount attached to the back of it. She’s quite happy with the setup on her Creo and has noticed no sign of the mount failing. The hold is pretty rock solid.

IMG_20220226_0702442.jpgIMG_20220226_0704435.jpgIMG_20210820_0954308.jpg

Quadlock Universal Adapter lasted for 100 m of off-road ride :D So much for the famous 3M tape.

Using the Plastic Weld glue now.

Last edited:
Back