Slick for rear wheel on a 2019 radrover?

legsofbeer

After 1600 miles my knobbies are showing the wear marks. I actually like the "angry swarm of bees" sound, helps reduce the surprise factor when overtaking pedestrians and joggers, or (some) regular bikes. So I'm thinking of putting a new kenda juggernaut on the front wheel, and a slick on the back for better mileage and stopping. Anyone tried this and have any recs? After having fixed two rear tire flats I'm fine with doing the tire swaps. A buddy who commutes 15 miles each way on a regular mountain bike warned me that rear slicks like to slide sideways on wet metal pavement plates. I don't ride the radrover in the rain intentionally, but have been caught out twice in 8 months.

ETA: assume pavement riding (regular commute).

After 1600 miles my knobbies are showing the wear marks. I actually like the "angry swarm of bees" sound, helps reduce the surprise factor when overtaking pedestrians and joggers, or (some) regular bikes. So I'm thinking of putting a new kenda juggernaut on the front wheel, and a slick on the back for better mileage and stopping. Anyone tried this and have any recs? After having fixed two rear tire flats I'm fine with doing the tire swaps. A buddy who commutes 15 miles each way on a regular mountain bike warned me that rear slicks like to slide sideways on wet metal pavement plates. I don't ride the radrover in the rain intentionally, but have been caught out twice in 8 months.

ETA: assume pavement riding (regular commute).

I like these. Found them on Amazon. They are quieter, smoother, fine on groomed trails. Not slippery but have not used in rain.
E19D9EAB-0C65-4A89-8E55-08DBFBF55991.jpeg

I like these. Found them on Amazon. They are quieter, smoother, fine on groomed trails. Not slippery but have not used in rain.

Closest I can find are the vee zigzag 4x26inch tires, which seem to be a decent option. Look better than the alta duro. Not much out there for 26x4 slicks.

So, following up my own post after 190 miles on a rear slick (2019 radrover). I can report one surprising positive result: I'm getting about 10% more cruising speed for the usual pedal effort. I almost always ride on half power PAS and never use throttle, and given my 10 miles per day usual commute have battery output expectations in thirds (fresh third, middle third, dregs third; charging every 3 days). My prior usual sustained speed with a fresh third is 18.5 mph on level ground, 16.5 on middle third, 14 on dregs. I was surprised after the rear tire swap to find myself doing 18.5 on the middle third, and now find myself doing 20.5 mph on the fresh third. I'm not any fitter or lighter than I was pre-tire-swap, and ambient temps are the same (low-mid 60s). I check my battery full charge voltage once a week and it is fairly nominal for its usage at 53.9something.

So, I'd consider the slick rear tire experiment to be a qualified success for pavement riding. I also am getting better emergency stop traction, as evidenced today when an uberhole no-signal hooked me at the bottom of a hill. Qualified success, because I don't know how durable this tire will be or how puncture resistant. Tire is a Vee zigzag, as I said above, not much else out there. I got 2020 miles out of the rear stock kenda knobbie, which I kind of like due to the flourescent paint and the inner puncture shield. When the front tire wears out I have a kenda ready to install.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone else has considered modifying their Radrover to have 27.5+ tire and rim on the front with a slick on the back? It would give the bike more of a motorcycle stance and would reduce the thrumming... I'm loving my Radrover and can't wait for my Bolton upgrade to get more torque but I feel a bit like I'm driving a Hummer...

(I was thinking if I did go this route I'd also update the fork and fender on the front)

We'll be getting a pair of Rovers this fall if we can get them, and one of the first things I plan on will be to scrap the noisy knobbies. Something with a pavement strip for sure.

That noise would drive me bonkers within a mile..... but I really want to try a hybrid fattie.

That noise would drive me bonkers within a mile

I got used to the noise pretty quickly, and like that it alerts other bikers or pedestrians on a shared path that there's something coming up behind them. But then my riding is mostly urban, frequently in wind, so it's not like there's a quiet riding experience to spoil.

modifying their Radrover to have 27.5+ tire and rim on the front

The fit would be super tight, there's about 1.1 inches of space between the stock tire and the front fork arch, and tire and rear frame. That's without fenders.

Thanks @Timpo! Those origin8 tires look great for the rear tire.

@legsofbeer I was considering the possibility of also replacing the front fork / shock / fender at the same time to better fit the narrower rim and tire. It's only a loose consideration but presumably a 26" rear rim with 4" tire and a 27.5+ front rim with 2.5" tire would get you to about the same stance but with a narrower front look, more like a moto cross bike... obviously the rad rover has a different stance / look than this bike but this is what I was referring to in concept:
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 3.11.28 PM.png

Could work. I wouldn't mod just for looks, but if you're gonna mod, make it look good. I'd be a little concerned over reduced stability with a bigger and skinnier front tire: I can ride for blocks hands free on the current setup. If you want a an ebike that looks like a ricerocket, why not go for the real deal and get a luna cycle sur ron X (life insurance sold seperately).

Also, more seriously, the radrover already attracts a little bit more attention from cops than I like. I'm not sure I'd want to make it look even more like a dirt (gas) bike.

I wouldn't mod just for looks

Totally agree, though like you say if modifying - make it look good.

If you want a an ebike that looks like a ricerocket

Yeah, that photo wasn't representative. Ultimately, the attitude of the Rover needs to shine through but perhaps this one gives you a better idea of what I was thinking:
Sportster-Rick-240er-003-1024x683.jpg

My thought was that if I go to slicks and if I replace the front tire / rim / fork I could potentially lighten the bike up a bit and also improve performance / handling as I do feel a little bit like I'm riding a tank now. Overall I love the do anything attitude of the bike but it would be nice to make it feel slightly more sporty, especially when the new controller arrives.

@Timpo - sorry, I found the origin8 tires in that thread, the Maxxis Hookworms look nice too though.

Back