Skipping a Cog

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
When cranking, my E+1 occasionally "skips a cog". It happens sometimes when I am putting a little extra force on the crank, then once in a while just cruising. Its slightly annoying. I have had it in to dealer, but the skip is still there. Its almost like the chain "skips" a tooth.

I had something similar occur. It seemed that the motor was pulsing as I rode along with power. Then it quit permanently The Bike was bought a few days before quarantining and has been driven an average of 8 miles a day since. It's going into the LBS tomorrow.

thx Lefty. I hope its not that. Guess I will just monitor.

Chain would be my first prime suspect. If it has much over 800 miles on it I would probably just go ahead and change it. If the chain has been changed a few times already and was changed recently and it started then, it could be that the cassette needs replacing or at least the two smallest cogs do, if you can buy them separately. Does it only do the slipping on the smallest cogs? If so, it is most likely those cogs.

cant answer that. chain has about 2000 Kms, about 1200 miles. I did speak with my tech a bit ago and he said chain is fine. I will go back tho. thx for input. I will try to determine which cog, but it happens when I am in my highest gear and other times.

When cranking, my E+1 occasionally "skips a cog". It happens sometimes when I am putting a little extra force on the crank, then once in a while just cruising. Its slightly annoying. I have had it in to dealer, but the skip is still there. Its almost like the chain "skips" a tooth.
It could be cable stretch on the shifter cable - tighten it slightly and see what happens

Same symptoms on my Explore +1. It occured from day 1. The bike is now coming up on 1500km so I'm on the hunt for stock of a new chain. I'll see if the problem persists. To be honest its barely a problem - in my case it occurs about once a week or fortnight of daily commuting.

Yep, agreed. It does not interfere with my riding. I would say its a small glitch in what is otherwise perfection. Dont think it has much with shift cable. It is definitely tied in with chain and cog. Gonna check again with my tech. They can tell right away if there is too much chain play.

1200 miles on a mid drive chain is "stretching it" if you'll pardon the pun. I would be willing to bet that, if changing out the chian doesn't work, that replacing the two smallest cogs or the whole cassette as well, will fix your jumping chain problem.

1200 miles on a mid drive chain is "stretching it" if you'll pardon the pun. I would be willing to bet that, if changing out the chian doesn't work, that replacing the two smallest cogs or the whole cassette as well, will fix your jumping chain problem.
I agree. Mid-drives are tougher on chains. I change mine well before they get to the 'stretch' limit, usually at ~1,000 miles. If that doen't fix it I'd also suggest taking a look at the derailleur alignment. A goog bump can move it out of vertical and contribute to your symptoms. If it's not vertical, you can tweak the derailleur hanger with an adjustable wrench. If it's too far out out you can replace the hanger or have your LBS do a more aggressive adjustment with their alignment tool.

Good luck.

It could be cable stretch on the shifter cable - tighten it slightly and see what happens
You only do this to adjust the derailleur position in relation to the ring gear alignment.
Asker has been plagued with derailleur adjustment since the bike was new - the idler clearance adjustment height to the chain ring is critical, or these bikes do this. Deore shifter, they're easy to adjust, but hard to get right.
Early on I fiddled with mine some and got it spot on and it's been good since. But you have to know what you're looking at and adjust it, or rely on a guy in a shop for five minutes that may or may not get it spot on.
And yes surely there's some wearing in and adjustments to make.

Drop it back to your shop, or learn to adjust it yourself. It's not 'skipping', it's just out of adjustment. This is the fourth thread for the same problem.

Ok Ok, I get it. I will check with my tech, as I am not a handy guy with derailleurs. Sorry for being repetitive.

Stop me if I am being redundant. I have been deemed guilty of this in past posts. Here is what I have learned about my "chain skip". I have been advised by my techs that the smallest cog or gear on my rear set of sprockets is beginning to wear. Why? Its where I spend most of my time when I ride. I now have just over 3000 Kms on the clock. Apparently those with upwards of 5-6000 Kms are coming into the shop to have their rear sprocket set replaced due to the smallest one wearing. You cannot replace just one (the smallest) sprocket. They come in sets and are not cheap. My techs also coached me to try to spend less time on the small sprocket by putting the bike in eco 1 or 2 on the flat stetches and shifting to a lower grear to get off the small sprocket. So there you have it. It was not the derailleur needing adjustment.

Stop me if I am being redundant. I have been deemed guilty of this in past posts. Here is what I have learned about my "chain skip". I have been advised by my techs that the smallest cog or gear on my rear set of sprockets is beginning to wear. Why? Its where I spend most of my time when I ride. I now have just over 3000 Kms on the clock. Apparently those with upwards of 5-6000 Kms are coming into the shop to have their rear sprocket set replaced due to the smallest one wearing. You cannot replace just one (the smallest) sprocket. They come in sets and are not cheap. My techs also coached me to try to spend less time on the small sprocket by putting the bike in eco 1 or 2 on the flat stetches and shifting to a lower grear to get off the small sprocket. So there you have it. It was not the derailleur needing adjustment.
In some cased it is possible to source a replacement of the smallest cogs on a cassette without replacing the whole thing. i have been able to find replacement 11 & 13 tooth cogs for my Shimano Deore XT 11 speed cassette. I replaced the 11 tooth and 13 tooth cogs and doubled up the life of the cassette.

Thats good news Alaskan. I should have also mentioned that I have been traveling in "Normal" and high gear probably 90% of the time, shifting for grades. So what techs encouraged me to do is move to Eco when on the flat and shift to a lower gear, moving off the small one. That way, they tell me the small sprocket will last longer. I will follow up on your suggestion about replacing single cogs.

Thats good news Alaskan. I should have also mentioned that I have been traveling in "Normal" and high gear probably 90% of the time, shifting for grades. So what techs encouraged me to do is move to Eco when on the flat and shift to a lower gear, moving off the small one. That way, they tell me the small sprocket will last longer. I will follow up on your suggestion about replacing single cogs.
here is another source

Back