Sinch folding concerns?

spiff

Region
USA
Hello all

I'm still waiting for delivery on my Sinch, I can't wait. I want to be educated as much as possible once I get it. I read about some concerns while folding this unit regarding paying attention to the cabling. Has anyone had any issues? Do the cable seem too tight for multiple foldings?

Also what about laying down once folded? How vulnerable is the shifting assembly and display when laying on its side? I'm guessing that you would never want to lay this thing on the side with the derailleur. Every video I see shows it kept on its folding stand thing.. I'm hoping that's not the only way that its advised to lay this thing down folded as it wouldn't fit in my car otherwise.

Thanks in advance
SMS

Well, now that I actually have my bike, I can make some observations.

#1- Must mind the cables where it folds... I found that they're either too tight and some slack had to be push through the frame for them. Others that had enough slack had tendency to fold in half while still in the way of the hinge while closing and needed to be directed to feed back into the frame instead.

#2 There is indeed concern for the derailleur and display. Seems best laid on front wheel side. The bike also shipped with some nice plastic spacer/protectors that snap onto the rear wheel axle bolt that are worth keeping.

Well, now that I actually have my bike, I can make some observations.

#1- Must mind the cables where it folds... I found that they're either too tight and some slack had to be push through the frame for them. Others that had enough slack had tendency to fold in half while still in the way of the hinge while closing and needed to be directed to feed back into the frame instead.

#2 There is indeed concern for the derailleur and display. Seems best laid on front wheel side. The bike also shipped with some nice plastic spacer/protectors that snap onto the rear wheel axle bolt that are worth keeping.
How do you like it so far? I have heard about the wires in the hinge and the display being venerable when folded. There is a guy that 3d printed a protective cover for the display, If your on FB check out the Sinchlife group.

Well, I only rode it for one brief ride so far as its pretty cold here still. Tomorrow it'll be up in the high 40's so I hope to ride it a bit farther. That one ride mostly highlighted needed adjustments on things, so hopefully the next ride will be a better indicator of things.

But I like it so far. As most people point out, the fit and finish is pretty good, especially when scrutinizing the welds from the insides with the battery removed. Most people gauge the quality of the welds by the outside finish, but really, you can sand and polish down some pretty crappy welds to make them look good even without a thick coat of varnish and paint on them. So happy to say the workmanship is on par with what the outside fit and finish belies.

Also as a lot of people usually say, I was surprised at how much oomph even pedal assist level one gave. I never rode an ebike, so can't say how it compares.. but seems to me it could use a more linear engagement as I could see the way it lurches forward once it does as a possible safety concern.

I also bumped the kickstand with my heel, another common observation. Moving my foot to a better position to clear it didn't leave what I felt was an optimal foot position, but having more clearance would have been even better.

The seat seemed hard and uncomfortable. But this can almost certainly be contributed to the last bike ride I had being several decades ago and me being slightly over weight now.

Thanks for the tip on the shield.. but I have never been on Facebook. But now that i know people are making them I'll look around.

Hello all

I'm still waiting for delivery on my Sinch, I can't wait. I want to be educated as much as possible once I get it. I read about some concerns while folding this unit regarding paying attention to the cabling. Has anyone had any issues? Do the cable seem too tight for multiple foldings?

Also what about laying down once folded? How vulnerable is the shifting assembly and display when laying on its side? I'm guessing that you would never want to lay this thing on the side with the derailleur. Every video I see shows it kept on its folding stand thing.. I'm hoping that's not the only way that its advised to lay this thing down folded as it wouldn't fit in my car otherwise.

Thanks in advance
SMS
you can use a 50 gal tub to transport makes it easier .. otherwise u can bunji the wheels together and handlebars.. they will open up some if not secured..
20211106_163011.jpg

Back