Similar Bikes?

Mike Smith

Am I alone in thinking these bikes look alike? Different brand names, but almost identical specs? One from US, one from Switzerland, one from Canada, one from some factory out of China. Yes, Stromer has some high tech features, but you pay a premium for this bike and dearly for any upgrades ($360 for fenders, lights, and a rack, really??) These come standard with most of the other "similar" versions. Am I missing something here? Still looks like Volton has the best deals for US buyers, plus Joe who is just great. Don't want to digress any further, just food for thought, or maybe I'm way behind the learning curve, as I am a Newbie and I will admit that, but looking to become a seasoned veteran soon, just can't make my mind. Still love the look of these bikes overall.

Attachments

• volton.jpg
    volton.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 397
  • stromer-electric-bike.jpg
    stromer-electric-bike.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 679
  • motorino LTi.jpg
    motorino LTi.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 356
  • product_48_full.jpg
    product_48_full.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Please clarify what you mean by "identical specs", in terms of the top five benefits, not components. You are not alone. But there is a much better approach.

It took me along time to realize that I made poor judgments by comparing specs. The trick is to subordinate components to the benefit categories for your particular situation.

Here is a Google spreadsheet that lists over 50 components, related to benefits. and an explanation about how to make the best judgment.

Does this make sense?

Please add the link to the bike review URLs for the attached pictures.

Last edited:
Yes they look similar just from a cursory glance at the frame of each. Don't know how similar they are down to the components; would be interesting to see them side by side with a listing of each component underneath to compare what's the same and what's different.

Yes they look similar just from a cursory glance at the frame of each. Don't know how similar they are down to the components; would be interesting to see them side by side with a listing of each component underneath to compare what's the same and what's different.
Here is a Google spreadsheet . It took me a long time to realize that you want to compare benefits, not components.

Stromer is the original, without running a spreadsheet the rest are probably cheaper alternatives. IMO - Spend a little more since you plan to ride many years. -S

Stromer is the original, without running a spreadsheet the rest are probably cheaper alternatives. IMO - Spend a little more since you plan to ride many years. -S
Shea,
When you say cheaper, what does one lose? Or, what is the additional value for paying more? I am not familiar with those particular bikes. They are not my style.

Isn't the most important question what the buyer wants from the bike, rather than the differences between bikes?

In other words, I emphasize the benefits for a particular person, not the components. In his case, he could be under or overpaying, depending on his situation.

Thank you all for replying. Please keep them coming, especially from owners or those with personal experience. Thanks in advance.
Mike

This is the best forum I have ever joined. People seem excited and passionate. Thanks for letting me participate, even though I'm a newbie, but not for long I hope.

This is the best forum I have ever joined. People seem excited and passionate. Thanks for letting me participate, even though I'm a newbie, but not for long I hope.
Send the URLs to the reviews for those bikes. I will read the reviews. I think putting an electric motor on a bicycle is a great idea! The weak link in the system is the battery. Learning about batteries is a good starting point.

Shea,
When you say cheaper, what does one lose? Or, what is the additional value for paying more? I am not familiar with those particular bikes. They are not my style.

Isn't the most important question what the buyer wants from the bike, rather than the differences between bikes?

In other words, I emphasize the benefits for a particular person, not the components. In his case, he could be under or overpaying, depending on his situation.
Component groups, build quality, warranty, customer support. 2nd ? - Yes & what the potential customer wants is a lasting, quality user experience in my estimation (Hydro brakes alone could make the difference). Bowing out of this conversation since I have only test driven the Stromers. Good Luck! -S

Component groups, build quality, warranty, customer support. 2nd ? - Yes & what the potential customer wants is a lasting, quality user experience in my estimation (Hydro brakes alone could make the difference). Bowing out of this conversation since I have only test driven the Stromers. Good Luck! -S

The stopping power of the tektro hydraulic brakes on my neo xtrem don't seem any better than the avid BB5s on my fat bike - any reason you like them so much more than a mechanical disc?

I had to adjust the mech brakes on my Dash every 8 - 10 days (daily rider here), much more than that and they turn to mush. Even with new pads the stopping power does not compare to the Shimano m615, not by a long shot in my experience, having both systems during an overlap. They have literally saved me from A-hole drivers half a dozen times, and one runaway dog, couple kids running into the street. Honestly I'm so happy with my FS RX my interest in the forum has begun to decay, time to let others defend and postulate. I'll be out riding. -S

Now we know where Volton got their design!

Please don't take that wrong, I am a believer in Volton. Still, I think you are comparing a Swiss watch to a Chinese watch. I guess the question is how good are the Chinese at copying the Swiss.

Seriously, I also would not bet a lot of money that Volton will be in business a year from now ... I hope they are, but you might want to stock up on spare parts just in case!

Back