Shout Out To Bolton Bikes Customer Service

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
I ordered an accessory from Bolton Bikes recently. The accessory came wrapped in opaque plastic. About a week after I received the part, upon removing the wrapping I realized the part was cosmetically defective. I took some photos and emailed Bolton Bikes requesting help in the form of a replacement part.

Bolton Bikes immediately responded with a shipping order for a new replacement part. I wanted to recognize their good service and integrity.

Thank You Bolton Bikes!

Glad to hear that. From watching Kyle on Youtube I was relatively sure they would be just that way. So I ordered one of his bikes. Cant wait to get it.

Which one of Boltons bikes did you get and have you received it yet
I got the Raptor which is a rebadged Frey AM 1000. It’s sold out but you can find it under ‘full suspension’ ebikes on Bolton’s site. I reviewed it and my raves can be found here on the Bolton forum.

I have a Bolton Blackbird after 100 miles the controller burned up. The people at Bolton said that they have learned that if the c-5 (power to the controller) is set on 10 the controllers are burning up to soon. so, their solution is to turn c-5 down to 6 which is a noticeable loss in performance. Bolton said they have no plans to change the controller in the Blackbirds. I think it is pretty sad they know about a problem and instead of fixing it to utilize the full potential of a 52-volt system they have you turn it down. i have requested that Kyle call me back multiple times, but he will not. their phone jockey said they have no plans to upgrade the controllers. That says a lot about a Companies loyalty to their customers.

I'm just now seeing your comment on this. I think some clarification is needed. C5 settings adjusts the maximum wattage. Setting to 10 is maximum current (at full throttle or PAS 5) which means peak of 1,300 watts. In my own riding and testing of the bike, whilst weight just over 200lbs and living in extremely steep terrain, I had no issues with the bike. HOWEVER - we started to have some customer reported failures on the motor controller. All of which we quickly replaced under warranty. What we found is that the failures were typically happening with people setting C5 at max power, using long periods of PAS 5 or full throttle in steep terrain, or with average weights higher than mine.

In shorter bursts the bike has no issue with the 1,300 watt peak output. But if you push it too hard for too long, it can overheat and fail. Reducing C5 slightly can prevent the controller from failing completely, whilst still having over 750 watts of power on tap.

If a heavier rider lives in a flat area, they'll likely have no issue. A light rider will likely never have a problem either. But combine heavy throttle use on steep terrain and unfortunately yes there is a point at which the controller can fail, if turned up to the maximum setting.

1. We never said we have no plans to change the controller. We said we don't currently have one. Designing and testing a new controller for production takes time. I am working on several new possible controller upgrades. Time will tell which one performs the best, and when it can be available. I don't know when that will be.

2. No, I haven't personally called you, nor any other customers since late March. I have a team of people that can help and answer questions, whom you most likely spoke to. As I've put out online and in videos I have been diagnosed with GBS, which is an autoimmune nerve disease. Any physical activity is severely difficult for me, including speaking. I have not continued my podcast because speaking for 20-30 mins is extremely difficult at this time.

I'm just now seeing your comment on this. I think some clarification is needed. C5 settings adjusts the maximum wattage. Setting to 10 is maximum current (at full throttle or PAS 5) which means peak of 1,300 watts. In my own riding and testing of the bike, whilst weight just over 200lbs and living in extremely steep terrain, I had no issues with the bike. HOWEVER - we started to have some customer reported failures on the motor controller. All of which we quickly replaced under warranty. What we found is that the failures were typically happening with people setting C5 at max power, using long periods of PAS 5 or full throttle in steep terrain, or with average weights higher than mine.

In shorter bursts the bike has no issue with the 1,300 watt peak output. But if you push it too hard for too long, it can overheat and fail. Reducing C5 slightly can prevent the controller from failing completely, whilst still having over 750 watts of power on tap.

If a heavier rider lives in a flat area, they'll likely have no issue. A light rider will likely never have a problem either. But combine heavy throttle use on steep terrain and unfortunately yes there is a point at which the controller can fail, if turned up to the maximum setting.

1. We never said we have no plans to change the controller. We said we don't currently have one. Designing and testing a new controller for production takes time. I am working on several new possible controller upgrades. Time will tell which one performs the best, and when it can be available. I don't know when that will be.

2. No, I haven't personally called you, nor any other customers since late March. I have a team of people that can help and answer questions, whom you most likely spoke to. As I've put out online and in videos I have been diagnosed with GBS, which is an autoimmune nerve disease. Any physical activity is severely difficult for me, including speaking. I have not continued my podcast because speaking for 20-30 mins is extremely difficult at this time.
Hang in there Kyle. Praying for you. Still loving my Raptor.

I'm new to my bolton blackbird. I've had two things come up (primary regarding damage during shipment). Customer service has been outstanding!

Back