Should I change the fork on the Radrover?

Yea, the suspension forks on most fat ebikes - Suntour, Top Gun, Mozo are all Garbage just like the standard Kenda Fat Tires. I heard the $200 Luna Lander (https://lunacycle.com/luna-lander-fat-suspension-fork/) is decent but I haven't had experience with it. I have RS Bluto paired with Maxxis Mammoths and it Rocks!

It’s crazy how these cheap stock suspension forks do almost nothing functional. Even big brands like Haibike use entry level Suntour forks, although those are still a bit better than the other unbranded or lesser known clones. I got a Mozo Fatman unit with my Juiced bike and it’s about the same performance as a spring and oil unit even though it uses air.

If you know that you’ll be into fat bikes for a while, buy a quality unit that you’ll be able to tune the setup and also be able to perform service on later.

Still haven't seen a link to a solid or suspension front fork for RRover ?
That is confirmed to work on the RR frame.

Still haven't seen a link to a solid or suspension front fork for RRover ?
That is confirmed to work on the RR frame.

I mentioned earlier, but most of the suspension options could be converted to work on the rad rover given the right conversion headset and wheel compatibility. I don’t ever recall seeing any quality air suspension fat bike unit that has standard QR dropouts and a straight steerer tube.

Does the newest RRover need a straight steerer tube? I am more interested in a straight fork no suspension. I don't know what will just replace what comes on the stock Rover. Seems the less weight the better for mostly road riding.

Honestly...The radrover fork is garbage. I replaced it with a solid steel fork and the geometry and ride were so much better.

I'm actually getting ready to sell my radrover. I just put the old fork back on and it feels borderline unsafe to ride.

I'm going to put a cheaper aluminum fork on it to sell that I also had (from bikes direct), it is ten times nicer to ride and much more nimble because of the 5...yes 5 pounds of weight savings. I'll give the suspension fork to the buyer in the sale and tell them exactly what I think of it.

For most uses, fat bikes don't need a suspension fork, the tires already make for a plenty nice ride already.
Agree I got my M2S AllTerrain without the cheap fork to save on weight I already had a Surly pugsley ridgid frame and happy with the ride .

I upgaded my stock rigid forks on my big cat so with the Luna Lander forks and it's like riding on air. It has a 135mm qr, 1 1/8 strait stearer, threadless. If I'm not mistaken the rad rover has 145mm qr i dont think it will work without new hub. But Is still cheaper than rockshox, bluto ect. Total price was 280 with labor and a new headset. Best upgaded possible without breaking the bank.

Reminds me of the honda civic owners dropping $6k rims on their rides for a smoother ride and better power to weight ratio.

I agree - The forks can be better. Sure. EVERYTHING can be better. All depends what you want at the end of the day.

The radrover is a GREAT bike out of the box shipped to your door. You want more? Expect more? Sure - you can buy a pre-made bike and upgrade the parts you ALREADY PAID FOR to bigger/better. Or just understand that building your own bike will be cheaper/better in the long run.

You pair the radrover to a Sondors - For about the same price point - Rad is FAR greater than the junk Sondors rips folks off with. Now that's not to say that Rad is fantastic. For their price point - they are. They are great for the lower middle class folks who can't afford $3k e-bikes. Or can afford $6k for a pair of ebikes (I know some losers will post up saying "well you can get two ebikes for $3k" - yeah.. it's simple math. Two separate ebikes doesn't mean better quality. Learn how to debate before you type).

For those who want to upgrade their fork i think the RST Renegade straight stearer and Or8 at-pro801 15x150 is the best compo.

Hi guys, reviving this thread. I am upgrading my Radrover 5 to a rear slick, likely the Origin8 26x4 if I can get one, they seem sold out everywhere and I am considering a swap for the front too...

Loosely considering going to a narrower 27.5" rim on the front with a 2-2.5" front tire for a more moto cross look to the bike, if I did that though I was thinking it would be smart to replace the fork and fender at the same time.

Does anyone have feedback on this or perhaps you've already done something similar? I think the RR will ride way better on slicks and would probably have a really cool look to it with the beefy back tire and a smaller width front one, something loosely like this in concept:
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 3.11.28 PM.png

Hi guys, reviving this thread. I am upgrading my Radrover 5 to a rear slick, likely the Origin8 26x4 if I can get one, they seem sold out everywhere and I am considering a swap for the front too...

Loosely considering going to a narrower 27.5" rim on the front with a 2-2.5" front tire for a more moto cross look to the bike, if I did that though I was thinking it would be smart to replace the fork and fender at the same time.

Does anyone have feedback on this or perhaps you've already done something similar? I think the RR will ride way better on slicks and would probably have a really cool look to it with the beefy back tire and a smaller width front one, something loosely like this in concept:
View attachment 58295
Have you followed through with this? Did it work? Or were you just waiting for more feedback?

Honestly...The radrover fork is garbage. I replaced it with a solid steel fork and the geometry and ride were so much better.

I'm actually getting ready to sell my radrover. I just put the old fork back on and it feels borderline unsafe to ride.

I'm going to put a cheaper aluminum fork on it to sell that I also had (from bikes direct), it is ten times nicer to ride and much more nimble because of the 5...yes 5 pounds of weight savings. I'll give the suspension fork to the buyer in the sale and tell them exactly what I think of it.

For most uses, fat bikes don't need a suspension fork, the tires already make for a plenty nice ride already.
You say the geometry is better? Did you change the rake and or trail? I ride a RRST and find that the trail is perfect. I have an old Dream 7 by Day Six, it is a semi-recumbent and the trail is so long you would think it would be directionally stable (it is if you can go down hill fast enough). I find that at the low speed of peddling on that bike is like searching for path to roll through in a soft sandy path. Just currious!

Have you followed through with this? Did it work? Or were you just waiting for more feedback?
I'll take the creature comfort ride of a wide front tire. I agree it would look good. 60's vintage car look. I love the Origin 8 that is on my front, and can't wait to wear out the rear Kendra to get matched tires.

Back