Shops that do electric bike conversions in the Bay Area, CA

SKent

Hi,

I am not a do it yourselfer at all, so am looking for a good shop that can convert one of my old bikes to an e-bike. Looking for the best lightweight and distance options. Anywhere from Monterey, CA and In the Bay Area, would be good.

Have you looked on Facebook Marketplace or craigslist for a used eBike? Got to be a huge supply of used eBikes in your area! By the time you pay for a kit and pay someone to build the bike, you could probably buy a new one.

Just my two cents...

I've been offering conversions to my customers for the past 4 years, and have done quite a few. Here are the following situations where a conversion might make sense:

1. Recumbent trike
2. Adult upright trike
3. Seeking custom high power and larger battery
4. Very low step bike, where OEM's aren't serving market well,and you can get something like a biria easy boarding converted.
5. A bike you just absolutely love as long as it's not real specialized such as a triathlon bike, only a few years old, or doesn't have non standard components.

Otherwise very good ebikes are on the market today at price points that make it hard to beat pursuing a conversion. If you can DIY it, then a conversion may make sense, but if you are doing it to possibly save money, something like an Aventon Pace will be a better buy than most conversions done by a third party.

2 or 3 years ago, this may not have been the case, but the market continues evolving rapidly and doing well despite tariffs.

P.s. doing one on an 'old' bike is generally not a prudent idea. Wear and tear, hidden corrosion, older (possibly obsolete) components, a bike that maybe has a bluebook value of $75, and adding $1000 of new e assist, generally leads to something you least expect suddenly breaking, and making the conversion a continuing sink hole for repair money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info. I am looking for one that will go 40 to 50 miles on a single charge. Using a lot of pedal assist of course.

Find an Aventon dealer willing to sell you the extended range 14 AH battery with the Pace 500. (This means he would need to keep for his stock, the 11 Ah battery that comes standard, since Aventon does not offer the option for a dealer to buy the ebike with the 14Ah on it.). His adder could be in the $240 range. $1399 for the bike itself. You'll be able to get that mileage range with that larger battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Matt at empoweredcycles.com, he's based in Castro Valley. My co-worker had a bike converted at his shop and it turned out well. He only does Bafang mid-drive systems.

Check out Matt at empoweredcycles.com, he's based in Castro Valley. My co-worker had a bike converted at his shop and it turned out well. He only does Bafang mid-drive systems.
I can vouch for Matt in terms of the kits he supplies. Have bought some of his for several conversions. I'm sure he would do a nice job as well, installing.

Back