Shopping for an ebike

I'm 64 year old big man (269 lbs) and have been riding a Specialized Crossroads Sport hybrid bike for the last 12 years. I mostly ride on paved roads, but occasionally hit crushed rock or dirt trails. As I get older, I find myself riding less because I hate riding on windy days (which are most days in Nebraska). My theory is....if I get an ebike, I won't mind riding against the wind or going up hills and consequently ride this bike more often. Feel free to debunk this theory if you wish. I am really interested in the the Radrover fat tire ebike, but fear my local bike shop will not want to service it. Any comments or suggestions.

I'm 64 year old big man (269 lbs) and have been riding a Specialized Crossroads Sport hybrid bike for the last 12 years. I mostly ride on paved roads, but occasionally hit crushed rock or dirt trails. As I get older, I find myself riding less because I hate riding on windy days (which are most days in Nebraska). My theory is....if I get an ebike, I won't mind riding against the wind or going up hills and consequently ride this bike more often. Feel free to debunk this theory if you wish. I am really interested in the the Radrover fat tire ebike, but fear my local bike shop will not want to service it. Any comments or suggestions.
I can testify that your theory about riding more with an ebike is valid. At least it was for me. I was lucky to motivate myself to get 200 miles a year on my pedal only bike, but have put over 500 miles on my ebike this summer, and hope to get a few more rides in before the weather changes.

You will have to decide for yourself if you want to risk buying a bike that your local shop won't support or work on. For me, the local service is important, so I bought my ebikes from my local bike shop.

I find myself riding ALOT more on my ebike.

The last few years have seen me slow down and frankly it gets to be less fun the slower you go. Before I bought my Bulls Evo 3 27.5 Hardtail I was doing about 20-30 miles per week and while I always enjoy riding it was more of something I had to do to keep somewhat fit.

I am now doing about 120-150 miles per week and its the highpoint of my day (still trying to convince myself of that today which is misty and mid 30s).

Basically I go out about 5-6 days a week now. Many times the wind picks up on the way out and I have to fight it all the way home, many times uphill as well. That was always such a chore on my non ebikes. Last week this turned into fighting a 30mph headwind going up a 4% grade for a few miles at the end of a 30mile ride. No problemo. All the other cyclist were struggling.

Windy day, hot weather no problems. Just set the level of workout you want and have fun.

Your theory is absolutely correct. You will find it no problem to buck the wind with an ebike, and you will enjoy riding more than you have in a while.

My LBS has been happy to service my ebike. So far, it hasn't needed any work on the electronics. It's only needed the kind of service any bicycle gets. Should it need work on the electronics at some point, it's pretty much modular. They aren't going to have to use a circuit diagram or soldering iron to swap out a controller, replace the motor or any of that. Can't say the same for all bike shops -- some prefer not to work on any bike of any sort if they didn't sell it. Go down and establish a relationship. Tell them you'll have it shipped there and pay them to set it up for you. May not be necessary if you have even minimal mechanical skills, but it could jump start a good relationship. Just a thought. I didn't do that and have not had any trouble getting help when I needed it.

Best wishes and enjoy!

Your theory is absolutely correct. You will find it no problem to buck the wind with an ebike, and you will enjoy riding more than you have in a while.

My LBS has been happy to service my ebike. So far, it hasn't needed any work on the electronics. It's only needed the kind of service any bicycle gets. Should it need work on the electronics at some point, it's pretty much modular. They aren't going to have to use a circuit diagram or soldering iron to swap out a controller, replace the motor or any of that. Can't say the same for all bike shops -- some prefer not to work on any bike of any sort if they didn't sell it. Go down and establish a relationship. Tell them you'll have it shipped there and pay them to set it up for you. May not be necessary if you have even minimal mechanical skills, but it could jump start a good relationship. Just a thought. I didn't do that and have not had any trouble getting help when I needed it.

Best wishes and enjoy!
Really solid advice here.

My theory: If I get an ebike, I won't mind riding against the wind or going up hills and consequently ride this bike more often.
Agree. That was my experience based on having to give up riding my road bike with friends on the other side of town and instead ride from home where I am immediately greeted by hills and gravel. Where the hills give way, I'm onto windswept farmlands. It's tough riding from home but my new ebike (early 2017) made it not only possible but a joy.

Unfortunately for me - but fortunately in validating your theory - that ebike was beset by problems and time and again I was back on my road bike. The wind was the worst obstacle to enjoyment and the primary culprit for my heart rate exploring new highs.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I really appreciate all your comments. Talked with my LBS today and they brought up the Rad bike I'm looking at on line. They didn't have an alternative option for me and couldn't come close to the price. I asked if they were interested in putting it together and servicing it in the future. They told me that they wouldn't turn business away. I'll probably buy a new bike rack from them alsO. Gotta make it worth their time.

High plains rider, it cost more but look hard at the HyperFat 1100. I’ve bought 3 ebikes in the past 6 months. Not proud of that. My first was radrover. I love that bike and it is very similar to the Ripcurrent s. Juiced cost more. But look hard at the battery difference, hydraulic brakes, and PAS programs and 1100 watts and headlight, and torque sensor . I’m 62 and weigh 210. When you are looking at cruising down the road, there is a HUGE difference in 20 mph max and 28-30. That is why I went from radrover to Ripcurrent s to HyperFat 1100. Don’t get me wrong, the rad is a nice bike. Both are very similar quality. But if you can pay more, the HyperFat 1100 is the bone diggity if you want fat tires. That being said, the only thing I don’t like about the hf1100 is the slick tires. I changed them. Also, the juiced bikes don’t sit up as high on the front end, so you might add a taller handle bar or buy a stem riser if you like to sit more upright for comfort on the juiced.

High plains rider, it cost more but look hard at the HyperFat 1100. I’ve bought 3 ebikes in the past 6 months. Not proud of that. My first was radrover. I love that bike and it is very similar to the Ripcurrent s. Juiced cost more. But look hard at the battery difference, hydraulic brakes, and PAS programs and 1100 watts and headlight, and torque sensor . I’m 62 and weigh 210. When you are looking at cruising down the road, there is a HUGE difference in 20 mph max and 28-30. That is why I went from radrover to Ripcurrent s to HyperFat 1100. Don’t get me wrong, the rad is a nice bike. Both are very similar quality. But if you can pay more, the HyperFat 1100 is the bone diggity if you want fat tires. That being said, the only thing I don’t like about the hf1100 is the slick tires. I changed them. Also, the juiced bikes don’t sit up as high on the front end, so you might add a taller handle bar or buy a stem riser if you like to sit more upright for comfort on the juiced.
Did I mention I'm 64 years old, not sure I want to go 28 MPH. Actually, I've never ridden a fat tire bike (hope to rectify that soon), but it appears to be a blast, especially on a ebike. Has anyone had a bad experience with fat boys? Is their a better option out there? Due to shoulder problems, I need to be fairly upright. Thanks again everyone for all your good advice!

Rad City is a great bike...which I'm turning into a road rider...their customer service is great. I'm down to 255#, and yes, you want to ride all the time! I got a spare battery, and it's all only 2k$!!

Today's ride...46 miles. Almost half a battery charge left, as I used Pas 1 mostly, until I got a bit tired, then Pas 2...no wind. IMG_20180923_165314.jpg

In a headwind on a 750w rad, you might drop below 20 mph. I’m running 4.8” and 4.0” Maxxis minion tires on both my Ripcurrent s and HyperFat 1100 now tubeless. The big fat tires will give you more stability and comfort. You also need to think about flats. Either go tubeless, or use mr tuffys and slime. I ride responsibly when I’m around traffic or people, but I also love to speed when I’m alone. My HyperFat really won’t do 40 mph unless you have perfect conditions. It’s more like 30-35. But give a lot of thought to that battery capacity when choosing a bike.

My new HyperFat 1100 upgraded with 4.0 and 4.8 Maxxis Minions. 4.8 won’t fit on the rear.

Attachments

• D4B9CCB0-985C-4E4F-8D86-ACDAFC912745.jpeg
    D4B9CCB0-985C-4E4F-8D86-ACDAFC912745.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 473
My new HyperFat 1100 upgraded with 4.0 and 4.8 Maxxis Minions. 4.8 won’t fit on the rear.

There are not a lot of HF reviews.
Could you do a small write up on three fat bikes you have? You have the whole spectrum. From Rad to Hyperfat and I think very few have such a combo.
Include some pics as well and this will be very useful for 1000's of visitors on the site who would be thinking of any of those bikes.

Yes I will do that. I put a lot of miles on the Radrover, Ripcurrent S, and now HyperFat 1100. Each one of them is different and has its advantage. I must admit, the Radrover is a great bike for the money. I don’t think there is a better deal out there. But I’m an x USCF road racer and I love speed. Thus, 3 bikes in 6 months. The Juiced cost more, but you get so many more benefits.

I made a pretty crummy video yesterday on going tubeless on the Juiced bikes. It’s kind of long and sometimes I didn’t know the camera was still on, but it has some good info if you can bare to watch it.

Did I mention I'm 64 years old, not sure I want to go 28 MPH. Actually, I've never ridden a fat tire bike (hope to rectify that soon), but it appears to be a blast, especially on a ebike. Has anyone had a bad experience with fat boys? Is their a better option out there? Due to shoulder problems, I need to be fairly upright. Thanks again everyone for all your good advice!
Personally, if riding off road, I prefer an Ebike with oversize tires not fat tires. Something in the 2.5" or less. My experience is with a Sondors fat bike with 4.9" wide tires. I have just over 1,700 miles on it. When I get off either of my Haibikes and get on that Sondors, it feels like I'm steering a river tow boat with a string of barges out front. It just doesn't want to turn without effort and leaning. Any of the fat bikes that come with knobbies, become a quick annoyance with noise when riding on pavement. People stare, dogs can get frightened, etc. You'll need to add new tires if you ride a lot of pavement. 64 years old is the best reason for going 28mph. Because you can! I'm 66.

After at least a 10 year hiatus in riding (because of hills and wind)I did my first 20 mile ride this weekendin a decade. There were a lot of headwinds and it was still fun. I could’ve put it on turbo, but didn’t because I wanted to challenge myself. I got plenty of exercise but wasn’t completely exhausted like in the past. I didn’t encounter any obvious snobbery on the bike path, but probably some secret envy.

Rad City is a great bike...which I'm turning into a road rider...their customer service is great. I'm down to 255#, and yes, you want to ride all the time! I got a spare battery, and it's all only 2k$!!

Today's ride...46 miles. Almost half a battery charge left, as I used Pas 1 mostly, until I got a bit tired, then Pas 2...no wind.View attachment 26255
Hey Larry-new, Do you ever take your Rad City on gravel or dirt trails? If so, how did it perform?

Looking at the shops local to you, the Bike Shed in Kearny carries Electra, and Wayne Cyclery in Grand Island carries Giant bikes. Both brands have cruiser-style e-bikes.

You might not want to ride 28 mph but don't let the top end fool you. All of that performance is available at the lower end too. You will get quicker starts -- very helpful from stop lights etc. -- and zippier performance against the wind and up hills. This might not mean much until you've actually experienced it, but trust me on this.

Back