Shimano XT 12speed drivetrain upgrade

Nomad

I'm looking at upgrading my 2020 Stance e2 to Shimano's new 12 speed XT setup. Has anybody upgraded to it on the same or similar bike? I'm looking at 10-45 cassette. I currently have a XT 10 speed setup on H1700 DT swiss wheels.

Yes you can do that if you are ready to replace the derailleur, cassette, shifter, and chain. FYI, my Trance E+ is equipped with:
  • Shimano Deore XT, Shadow Plus derailleur
  • Shimano HG-M7100, 11-51T, 12s cassette. Are you going for speed or climbing capability?
  • Shimano SLX 12s shifter
  • KMC e.12 Turbo EPT chain. It needs 124 links for my specific bike (the KMC chain is 130 link).
Bear in mind: the maintenance of such drive-train will cost you dearly. Even the chain is deadly expensive. You will also need a 12-speed chain tool. Do you really need to upgrade?

I want to upgrade to the xt 10-45 not the fifty one because for me the 51 is to low even on steep hills for me. The SLX is a great setup but it not just the weight that is different it's also the shifting on XT. I want the higher speed for down hill pedaling and 45 is low to me. The jumps between gears are closer on the 10-45 I like that better. I'm running a xt 10speed cassette 11 - 36 and a shadow derailleur now. The 12 speed newer xt has ramps both up and down.

This is just my opinion. A wider chain works better on powerful bikes. The wider the better. Watch the freehub body for compatibility. If you are changing everything anyway then lace in an internally geared hub and ride an extra-wide chain or a Split Belt. There are some very nice internal hubs.

Attachments

• V7i2102.JPG
    V7i2102.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF7317.jpg
    DSCF7317.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF7196.JPG
    DSCF7196.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF7387 (2).jpg
    DSCF7387 (2).jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 213
  • m7i11k.JPG
    m7i11k.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 214
This is just my opinion. A wider chain works better on powerful bikes. The wider the better. Watch the freehub body for compatibility. If you are changing everything anyway then lace in an internally geared hub and ride an extra-wide chain or a Split Belt. There are some very nice internal hubs.
Just to clarify for those reading this your talking about internal gearing not hub drive as opposed to mid drives. I think there not quite there as far as swapping to that for some setups and getting the right kind of performance. It's worth noting that belt drives on some motorcycles are actually better then there chain counter part which I believe holds true with some bicycles as well. As far as this bike is concerned I don't believe were there yet probable not even at several times the cost.

Just to clarify for those reading this your talking about internal gearing not hub drive as opposed to mid drives. I think there not quite there as far as swapping to that for some setups and getting the right kind of performance. It's worth noting that belt drives on some motorcycles are actually better then there chain counter part which I believe holds true with some bicycles as well. As far as this bike is concerned I don't believe were there yet probable not even at several times the cost.
Yes. For mid-drives.
for one example. A Nexus 8 is about $250. You can shovel muck on these all day. The gears are sealed. Great for bikepacking. Shift when stopped.

ran into a snag does anybody no what end cap will fit to convert the drive side to quick release on dt swiss h1700 wheel with the micro spline as the flange on end cap has to be smaller then the one for the ten speed cassette?? The rear axle on the stance is a quick release wondering if the one for xd driver fit the micro spline?

Maybe this?

yes dt swiss email me back and that should be the part number I order one from their(cooradocyclist). Funny thing is I ordered it before I saw your post but I'll confirm it when I get it so we can pass it on to others. Thank for posting as finding parts can be hard at time KEEP THE WHEELS TURNING!:)

yes dt swiss email me back and that should be the part number I order one from their(cooradocyclist). Funny thing is I ordered it before I saw your post but I'll confirm it when I get it so we can pass it on to others. Thank for posting as finding parts can be hard at time KEEP THE WHEELS TURNING!:)
I Received it and it indeed is the animal I needed! The new drive-train is in so far I really like the xtr shifter and the xtr derailler has more ground clearance. I'm looking in to getting a MRP chain guide trying to confirm the one they make for Giant will bolt right up to 2020 sTANCE E2. I will report more about the swap later.

The one (MRP chain guide) they make for Giant bolts right up for a factor fit! That chain doesn't come off that front ring even in really rough conditions. Having that ten tooth for down hills and occasionally on really smooth flats is the 💣. Also haven't found anything to steep for the 45. Really think you find u'd run out of traction 1st.

Back