Shimano or Bafang for Cargo Trike?

Mathies Rasmussen

Region
Europe
We are speccing a Bakfiets Cargo Trike, and it comes with two engine options. One is a Shimano Steps 6100 and the other one is a Bafang M400. On paper the Bafang seems like the logic choice based on the price difference. They are both 250 W. The Bafang is 80 NM and the Shimano is 50-60 NM. The Bafang battery is 750 Wh and the Shimano is 418 Wh. The Bafang is only €200 dearer.

What would your thoughts be? Any experience with the above mentioned engines? Quality/reliability?

We are speccing a Bakfiets Cargo Trike, and it comes with two engine options. One is a Shimano Steps 6100 and the other one is a Bafang M400. On paper the Bafang seems like the logic choice based on the price difference. They are both 250 W. The Bafang is 80 NM and the Shimano is 50-60 NM. The Bafang battery is 750 Wh and the Shimano is 418 Wh. The Bafang is only €200 dearer.

What would your thoughts be? Any experience with the above mentioned engines? Quality/reliability?
My question would be regarding any difference in parts availability between the 2 motors....

^^^ what he said. I have seen people with 1st-gen Shimano motors built into eBullitts who are wearing their motors out, and Shimano EOL'd that motor, no longer offers parts to repair it and the motor mounts on the frame are unique to that motor ... there's no upgrade path to a newer Shimano motor. The owners are forced to buy NOS motors from private parties who know what they have and want like 1000 Euro for one as a result.

I personally would try to stay away from both motors and go for a non-electrified bike. Then add a Bafang BBSHD or BBS02. That way you have a standard bottom bracket and can pull off a worn out motor and put on a new one without issue. Keeps you in control of repair and refurbishment.

M620 definitelly. Or better new M630. It is more then 2 times stronger then Shimano motor for kids. ;)

Back