Shimano Internal Hub Gear

michwalker

Does anyone know about internal hub gears for mid-drive electric bikes?
I hear Shimano recently have a new internal hub gear special for e-bikes . So previous Alfines or nexus 3 speeds are not good for e-bike ?

previous Alfines or nexus 3 speeds

They were designed with E-bikes in mind.
Mid motor in ebikes do stress the chain a lot more. Only eBike specific models like Shimano Inter -5, Envioli 380-SE or Rohloff can withstand such torque.

My 2017 Gazelle Arroyo has the Shimano Nexus 8 hub paired with the Bosch Performance Line motor. In my opinion, this combination works well for a smooth natural feeling ride and provides about the right gear range for the four Bosch assist levels.

They were designed with E-bikes in mind.
Mid motor in ebikes do stress the chain a lot more. Only eBike specific models like Shimano Inter -5, Envioli 380-SE or Rohloff can withstand such torque.

Ahh ok now it make sense. That is why people say it make some strange noise while changing gears. Does it only affect the chain or also affect internal hub gear too ?

Just to be clear, there isn't an e-bike specific Rohloff hub. The E-14 system is e-bike specific (and only for Bosch drive systems), but the hub itself appears to be identical. Rohloffs had a well-deserved reputation for indestructibility (there are multiple accounts of Rohloff hubs outlasting bikes and with over 200k miles on them) even before e-bikes were a thing.

Last edited:
Back