Shifting on Bosch and Brose motors.

I watched the Specialized 2020 Vado review on this site. Does one stop pedaling for a second before shifting when the bike has a Brose Motor? The local specialized shop did not t seem to Know what I was talking about. On Bosch I can shift a few shifts at a time by holding down the lever. Can I do this with Brose
Motor too as long as I ease up on pedals (stop
Pedaling) for A second?

With a mid drive motor, I think the shifting method has more to do with the gear system your bike has than with the motor. If you have an internal geared hub, it is best to pause pedaling briefly when shifting. If you have a derailleur, you need to keep the pedals moving with light torque when shifting.

I thought the Brose has shift sensing just like the Bosch. Personally, I still hesitate when shifting my Bosch, I feel it's much friendlier on the chain.

I think Brose is like a motorcycle. As you slow down or
Approach a stoplight, shift down. Let up for second on pedaling when shifting. I think I got it.

Riding a Rohloff with electronic shifting which is only available on a Bosch equipped bike thus far. The shifter actually pauses the motor for 160 milliseconds. It will shift without easing up on the pedals, but the shift is rough. To shift butter smooth requires a momentary easing up on the pedals, not a pause, just taking a bit of pressure off. If this is done when the pedals are high and low it happens without any diminution of speed. It takes a few rides to commit this skill to muscle memory.

On an acoustic bike with a rear derailleur, you do need to keep the pedals moving as you shift, albeit with lighter pressure on the pedals, as Alan DB posted. If you’re cranking hard on an acoustic bike when you shift, you’re adding wear and tear to the drivetrain. Conversely, if you stop pedaling completely when you shift, the derailleur has to haul the chain onto another rear sprocket without benefit of the chain moving, which is also tough on the drivetrain.

Now, on an ebike, the motor is assisting your pedaling. If you stop pedaling for a second, then enact the shift, the motor hasn’t had time to come to a complete halt, and the chain is still moving to some degree. This is good.... So you can stop pedaling for a quick moment right before a shift on a mid-motor ebike.

The Bosch motors have shift detection, which means that if you ease up on the pedals in anticipation of a shift, the motor will back off its power but still move the chain at an optimal speed when you shift. I don’t know about shift detection on Brose motors, but a little experimentation will show how much you should back off your pedaling cadence prior to shifting.

On an acoustic bike with a rear derailleur, you do need to keep the pedals moving as you shift, albeit with lighter pressure on the pedals, as Alan DB posted. If you’re cranking hard on an acoustic bike when you shift, you’re adding wear and tear to the drivetrain. Conversely, if you stop pedaling completely when you shift, the derailleur has to haul the chain onto another rear sprocket without benefit of the chain moving, which is also tough on the drivetrain.

Now, on an ebike, the motor is assisting your pedaling. If you stop pedaling for a second, then enact the shift, the motor hasn’t had time to come to a complete halt, and the chain is still moving to some degree. This is good.... So you can stop pedaling for a quick moment right before a shift on a mid-motor ebike.

The Bosch motors have shift detection, which means that if you ease up on the pedals in anticipation of a shift, the motor will back off its power but still move the chain at an optimal speed when you shift. I don’t know about shift detection on Brose motors, but a little experimentation will show how much you should back off your pedaling cadence prior to shifting.
Good information. Thank you. I’m considering a Trek (Allant +8s) and a Specialized bike (Vado 5.0 2020) so the different shifting styles is an important consideration.

Good information. Thank you. I’m considering a Trek (Allant +8s) and a Specialized bike (Vado 5.0 2020) so the different shifting styles is an important consideration.
Lol, I’ve got my eye on the same Allant for my wife next spring! Big battery, fast motor, Trek quality and support, checks a lot of boxes!

Riding a Rohloff with electronic shifting which is only available on a Bosch equipped bike thus far. The shifter actually pauses the motor for 160 milliseconds. It will shift without easing up on the pedals, but the shift is rough. To shift butter smooth requires a momentary easing up on the pedals, not a pause, just taking a bit of pressure off. If this is done when the pedals are high and low it happens without any diminution of speed. It takes a few rides to commit this skill to muscle memory.
Thank you. This post helps my understanding a lot!

Back