Serviceability Help

skud

Region
USA
I travel a lot so I need to be able to find service for them! What makes an e-bike more serviceable?
Is it mostly the availability of parts? If so, what brands/parts do you recommend for the regular non-electric bike components and what do you recommend for the motor system?

IN THE US:
I've heard the Bosch and Specialized Brose systems are most popular, the former especially. I've seen some Bafang motors that are significantly more powerful but I don't know how common they are.

Shimano seems like a very popular brand for the drivetrain and the brakes.

I am unsure about forks/suspension.

Last edited:
Motors:
Bafang is common in e-bike conversions and in budget mass produced (Direct To Customer) e-bikes.

There are several motors/systems used in more expensive e-bikes:

Full power motors
  • Bosch (older generation) and the new Bosch Smart System
  • Brose, which is also Specialized branded
  • Yamaha, which is also Giant branded
  • Shimano, especially popular on e-MTBs (it is only Class 1)
Lightweight low power motors
  • Specialized SL 1.1 (by Mahle)
  • Fazua
  • TQ
  • Mahle x30 and x20 (hub drive motors)
All the above motors are mid-drives except the latter.

Drivetrains (popular in e-bikes):
  • Shimano (chain/derailleur)
  • SRAM (chain/derailleur)
  • Numerous Internally Geared Hubs (Rohloff, Alfine, Enviolo, Kindernay...)
Brakes
  • Shimano
  • SRAM
  • Tektro or TRP
  • Magura
(Fork or suspension really depends on the type of the e-bike and it is the part of the frameset of a given e-bike).
What makes an e-bike more serviceable?
Buying from an LBS that carries, services, and handles warranty claims for e-bikes. Big brand e-bikes are more easily serviceable by LBS. D2C e-bikes typically require you become your own bike mechanic and electrician/electronic.

Last edited:
Good advice from Stefan above.

Since you travel, I would be concerned about LBS locations in the areas you frequent most. Many major bike brands have a nationwide footprint of dealers but it might be a good idea to check locations. Unless you're a DIY'er, I'd stay away from online only bikes with no local support.

In general, you get what you pay for as far as quality goes. The brands you mention are all acceptable for durability and parts availability.

Don't overlook test rides!! A quality, expensive bike may not be the best choice if it doesn't "fit" you.

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask more specific questions!

Back