Service cassette freehub anyone?

Tonqin

Hi, anyone here dis-assembled the rear cassette freehub body on a Turbo? Mine has developed a squeak - probably from all the rain I've been riding in. I thought I'd try to relube it so if anyone can give me some tips?

No, I squirted some chain lube between the cassette body and hub and the squeak went away. Not very technical I'm afraid but the hub has been nice and quiet since so I'll leave it alone till I find out how to do it properly.

It's quite easy. You need a cone spanner (very thin spanner, about 17mm) to loosen the end cap. It all comes apart quite easily thereafter. Thinks its DT Swiss internals (not surprising really).

It's quite easy. You need a cone spanner (very thin spanner, about 17mm) to loosen the end cap. It all comes apart quite easily thereafter. Thinks its DT Swiss internals (not surprising really).

well I ended up getting a brand new wheel from Specialized so I will not be opening the freehub anytime soon after all ... but when you say DT-Swiss internals - do you mean the star ratchet mechanism ? or regular pawl design?

The freehub internals are not common DT Swiss. They may have been a design sourced from them but they are not the same as the commonly available DT Swiss parts. I wore out the freehub ratchet and it's a little larger than the DT Swiss three pawl part and the pawls in the freehub body are larger than the DT Swiss (although a very similar design). The ratchet is not listed as a separate part by Specialized so I will probably need to buy a new hub motor. I've got about 6700 miles on the bike. I also found out the throttle mode comes in handy to get the last ten miles home when the pedals are just free spinning. It saved either a long walk or messing around waiting a couple of hours for someone to come and pick me up.

That's useful to know. I've got slightly more mileage than you and mine is still OK but I should be on the lookout in case they are getting worn - I don't freewheel much... I shouldn't think you need a whole motor!! They will no doubt sell the freehub assembly separately.
@kermit_xc I also got a new wheel but AFAIK it came without the freehub.

It's not the freehub assembly which is available. It's the ratchet on the motor side that the freehub pawls engage. It's a pressfit part on the hub side. The image from a Go Swissdrive video but it looks very similar on the Specialized motor. Specialized doesn't seem to list any of the motor internals as available parts such as axles, bearings and etc.

My commute has a fair number of starts and stops due to lights and stop signs. Since the Turbo S is a speed pedelec I'm a little more cautious to appear to follow the "rules". Even so I am a little surprised they wore out. I use the same input as if I am riding my road bike. I have a Stages left side power meter and I usually average about 200 watts for the ride. (The Stages FSA mega exo crank was a closeout.)

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    344.5 KB · Views: 678
Yikes! I'd be inclined to have a word with Specialized customer service. If it's not a wear part, it shouldn't wear in such low mileage = manufacturing defect.

Motor/hub had to be replaced. Due to convoluted reasons it was still under warranty and I only had to pay for the wheel rebuild. It only took a week but I have an excellent dealer. We also have a specialty ebike shop in the area that started to carry Specialized.

Lesson learned is make sure you keep the freehub on the maintenance list.

Back