Sensor for Bicycle Traffic Lights

Bob RN

Region
USA
City
Puget Sound WA
In my area (Seattle) I am seeing traffic lights specifically for bicycles. But until recently, I did not know how they activated. When I was stopped on a bike lane before an intersection, I saw an embedded diamond shape on the path. This is a sensor for us, like the large round shape that is embedded for cars. I moved my bike over the diamond & my traffic light went green. This particular intersection is on 148th Ave NE. near Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 100
If you go to the "Spring District" (around 120th Ave NE and Spring Blvd) there is really fancy separate bike/traffic/pedestrian infrastructure. Of course it only lasts for a few blocks.

BTW everywhere in the greater Seattle area you will see bikes (or sometimes just an "X") in traffic lanes where the sensor will pick up a bike.

we have a lot of them but they dont always work. one intersection I have to get o the sidewalk and push the button if no cars are waiting or if they turn.

Have yet to see these in bike paths in my area (coastal San Diego County), but I do deal with an automatic exit gate with an unmarked sensor under the pavement. Cars and many bikes have no problem triggering the gate, but not my ebike. Finally found a tiny spot that works if I go over it at walking speed, but it's very hard to hit.

Guessing the sensor's magnetic and my aluminum-framed hub-drive bike has too little ferrous metal close to the ground.

Last edited:
Seattle has a few sensors triggered by infrared cameras. There's one I use regularly where a bike route on a residential street intersects an arterial with a bike lane.

It's pretty slick- as you approach the intersection and it sees you, a blue light on the pole at the far side of the intersection lights up so you know it's working and by the time you get to the intersection you have the walk/green light and can go through without ever stopping.

Seattle has a few sensors triggered by infrared cameras. There's one I use regularly where a bike route on a residential street intersects an arterial with a bike lane.

It's pretty slick- as you approach the intersection and it sees you, a blue light on the pole at the far side of the intersection lights up so you know it's working and by the time you get to the intersection you have the walk/green light and can go through without ever stopping.
ya we have some of those. one light stops traffic in both directions and from turning right so you can cross diagonally to the other side.

Back