Seeking An Expert Electric Bike Consultant

Jaspen

ISO someone qualified in the field and/or who can offer extensive, customized help that leads to the purchase of an optimal e-bike.

Hi, 25 years ago I use to be a long-distance and trail bicyclist and am wanting to get back into it again with an ebike. I've researched what's currently on the market, and I'm finding that what's available for me (5'0") is very limited, especially with my particular criterion list that would enable both inter-state treks (i.e. high minimum range estimate of 50 miles +, max range estimate near 100 miles or more; 15 - 20 gear speeds +, step-thru or <17" frame size ) and some dirt & gravel riding. I'm looking to hire someone in the field who has more knowledge about ebikes than myself. A big plus would be to work with someone who has knowledge of what may be coming on the market in the next few months. Perhaps someone who has attended the recent Electric Bike Expos and/or a professional in the field who is privy to what's up & coming. A kind hearted soul willing to share their expertise would be great, but I'm also willing to pay someone qualified in the field and/or can offer extensive, customized help. No dealers pushing their own brand sale that wouldn't specifically fit my needs (see details above). We can work together by phone, email and/or in person here in northern California. I'm willing to travel to test-ride if needed. I may attend the expo in Florida, but would prefer one-on-one help instead. Not wanting to do a conversion at this point if I don't absolutely have to.

If you can help, please send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!

You could reduce your number of gear speeds for one thing. 11 speeds is more than enough on an ebike. That lets me comfortably ride between 0 and 30mph. 50 mile distance is no major issue, 100 takes one big pack, or two smaller. New bikes are showing up now with cradles for 2 batteries for 2018. Sure you could pay someone to make the decision on paper, but you will still need to ride a few to make the final decision. Besides, it would one statistical anomaly to find a perfect bike that matched 100% of your wishes!

As mentioned above, not sure why you want so many gears on an E-bike. This is one of the benefits of pedal assist, you can simplify the gearing system.

If you want many gears so you can fine tune your pedal cadence, have a look at bikes using the NuVinci Continuously Variable transmission, it basically gives you an infinite number of gears.
You can twist to any gear ratio within the total 380% range.

You also did not mention if you want a full suspension bike, or hard tail...

Koben (below) has a bike with the Nuvinci N380 and a Carbon belt. It is not step thru, but has a low inclined top tube, and they have a great frame size selection, including 15" and 17".
They are using the Bafang Max motor which has 80 nm of torque and 350W (750W peak)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
But no suspension.

Now range wise, it depends on the usage (terrain, level of assist etc...). Most E-Bikes use batteries with a capacity around 500Wh, but what you can do is carry a second battery with you if more range is needed.

Some manufacturer like Riese & Muller offer Dual Battery bikes, like the various Delite models below (full suspension)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
But their smallest frame height seems to be 19" (49cm), and I am not really sure if that is the seat tube height or something else (worth checking with them)

They do have step thru models like the Nevo (front suspension | hard tail), and you could carry a spare battery with that one.

They have many configurations for each model, including choices of gearing system, from the Continuously variable transmission, to regular derailleur, to even the Rohloff 14 speed Internal Geared Hub on the Delite.

EBR also has a guide with bikes for small people below
https://electricbikereview.com/guides/ebikes-for-small-people/

There is also a European database search where you can search by advanced criteria. Some of the model are also sold in the US, but not all of course
https://www.ebike-base.de/en/

Last edited:
Back