Seeking Advice on helmet and accessories

Cassidy

Just bought the Juiced CCS and I guess I need to know what I need with respect to accessories. I would like a Helmet with MIPS. Also I guess I would need a tire repair kit? A cell phone holder? Water bottle and cage? Lock? Alarm? Mirror? Its all new so Im a neophyte :) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

What I'd suggest is go to a good local bike shop and have them hook you up.

They can also help you figure out what tools you need to remove a wheel (if any) and get you set up so you can fix a flat on your own. Given that over 90 percent of mechanicals are flat tires that will get you a long way.

Honestly there are lots of great brands of helmets out there and also lots of awesome tools, more than can be discussed here in any detail. So like I said you can't go far wrong if you locate a decent bike shop -- in fact, spending your time researching a decent bike shop in your area will have a higher rate of return than spending the same amount of effort researching a helmet or multi-tool.

In regards to helmets, I recommend new MTBs ones even if riding on road. They give lot more protection around forehead,sides and back of head. Not all crashes result in top of helmet taking hit, quite often its sides and forehead especially if you face plant it. I totalled 3 of my helmets on MTB crashes and it has been forehead every time. In case of wife's low speed crash it was temple and side of face, she still ended up with awesome shiner but no head injury thanks to good fitting helmet.

With helmets fit and comfort is number one, this is where shop assistant advice comes into it.
If in doubt about how much to spend, start by putting a price on your brain.

In regards to helmets, I recommend new MTBs ones even if riding on road. They give lot more protection around forehead,sides and back of head. Not all crashes result in top of helmet taking hit, quite often its sides and forehead especially if you face plant it. I totalled 3 of my helmets on MTB crashes and it has been forehead every time. In case of wife's low speed crash it was temple and side of face, she still ended up with awesome shiner but no head injury thanks to good fitting helmet.

With helmets fit and comfort is number one, this is where shop assistant advice comes into it.

Most MTB helmets have good ventilation because riders move at slower speeds than road riders.

I ordered the Giro Foray but now you have me thinking, which MTB do you recommend? thanks

I ordered the Giro Foray but now you have me thinking, which MTB do you recommend? thanks
Aside from better coverage, which I agree, most MTB helmets have sun visors and road bike helmets often do not. On a road bike, in a crouched position with drop bars, visors tend to get in the way of seeing ahead. On a MTB or hybrid bike the rider sits more upright and a sun visor is really helpful. It might not be an issue for some.

No visor:

Screenshot_20190706-002046_Chrome.jpg

Visor:

Screenshot_20190706-001847_Chrome.jpg

For years I rode without a helmet. When I got my Juiced CCS I decided it was time to get one. I literally bought the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. It saved my life a couple of weeks ago. In retrospect I wish I would have put my safety above saving a few dollars. Whatever you get, be sure to wear it.

On the mirror, I ended up getting a new set of grips so I could use an end bar mirror. I didn't want to cut the ends off of the stock grips. I tried a couple of alternative mirror setups but the end bar mirror worked best for me. If you have been riding around without one, when you get one you'll wonder how you survived without it.

The other thing you'll need is storage. I originally bought a little soft bag to go on the rear rack and almost immediately realized it was too small. I ended up putting a cheap hard shell motorcycle trunk on it and it works well for me.IMG_20190706_084453.jpg

For years I rode without a helmet. When I got my Juiced CCS I decided it was time to get one. I literally bought the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. It saved my life a couple of weeks ago. In retrospect I wish I would have put my safety above saving a few dollars. Whatever you get, be sure to wear it.

On the mirror, I ended up getting a new set of grips so I could use an end bar mirror. I didn't want to cut the ends off of the stock grips. I tried a couple of alternative mirror setups but the end bar mirror worked best for me. If you have been riding around without one, when you get one you'll wonder how you survived without it.

The other thing you'll need is storage. I originally bought a little soft bag to go on the rear rack and almost immediately realized it was too small. I ended up putting a cheap hard shell motorcycle trunk on it and it works well for me.View attachment 35118[/Q

The other thing you'll need is storage. I originally bought a little soft bag to go on the rear rack and almost immediately realized it was too small. I ended up putting a cheap hard shell motorcycle trunk on it and it works well for me.View attachment 35118
Great advice thank you :)

Back