Security

will sample

Lets talk security. What is everyone using to lock up their bikes and keep them safe. Willing to spend some money on chain/lock and lojack for the bike. just want to know if anyone has gone to extreme lengths to keep your investment.

Lets talk security. What is everyone using to lock up their bikes and keep them safe. Willing to spend some money on chain/lock and lojack for the bike. just want to know if anyone has gone to extreme lengths to keep your investment.
My girlfriend and I each have Riese and Mullers. For security, I purchased 3 Abus locks. The Granit Extreme Motorcycle U-Lock https://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng/bike/products/view/granit-extreme-59-10-2-2-bike

On the site you can also find the Granit Extreme motorcycle integrated chain lock, and the Abus City-chain 1060 X-Plus. We purchased those as well. The U-Lock and Extreme chain are not croppable with bolt cutters. The City chain is but with only the huge hydraulic ones, and in a video test I viewed it took 2 minutes with the chain in a vice and ideal conditions.

For the components we used Pitlock, a company that produces keyed security parts for bikes. We used these on the wheels, headlight, and seatpost. All of the other bolts for the most part are tamper proof torx pins which most thieves probably wont carry the tools for. These are not as secure as the custom keyed Pitlocks. For extra security, I put Sugru mouldable glue into all the bolts to prevent tools from being able to unscrew them. When you need to get to them it only takes a few moments to get it out with a pin or paper clip, it all comes out in one piece.

For a lojack type application, the Italian made Sherlock bike GPS is what we ordered. I will be receiving them in a couple weeks, but through extensive research it seems to be the best option with great features. Sherlock.bike is the URL.

With all of my components very secure, I just lock the bike around the top tube using one of the locks. With the Abus locks, either one will take a couple minutes to cut through with an angle grinder. More time than most would be willing to spend with all the attraction it causes.

I did a ton of research to secure our bikes, I also got Velosurance for them. After hours of research, everything I explained is the best I have come up with for securing our bikes. If you find anything cool in your research please let me know too :)

Police officer was trying to sell me on LoJack but I told him I never let my bike out of my sight. He asked me where I keep my bike at night. I told him I live in a studio and park it next to my bed

I have two his/her Radrovers. The wife hardy rides hers and I use both to work commute (switch off weekly to keep the wear/tear/mileage about the same). I'm lucky to be able to store my RR in my server room on the 2nd floor and charge the battery during the day. I do travel with my RR and sometimes have to leave the bikes on the vehicle racks overnight at hotels if I can't take them inside the room. I use a layered security approach depending on what I can carry and how worried I am about a location.

CycolTrac Boomerang GPS: https://boomerangbike.com/
I have the two units on the down-tube of both Radrovers with a Zefal DT down-tube armor frame guard (Amazon, $18) protecting them from water and road debris. Boomerang uses the Verizon cell network to track both bikes on your smartphone or internet. You can also arm with an audible alarm with email/text alerts with the smartphone app (cant do with computer webpage). Alarm is pretty sensitive and you will be getting a lot of alerts if you secure at a busy bike rack. I even remove the GPS tracker and place in my car as a poor man's LoJack when traveling without the bikes (+20,000 miles per year on avg traveling in southwest).

15 foot 12mm plastic coated cable with round discus Master Lock. I use this if I need to make a quick stop and the bikes are never out of sight. It is very light and fits in my rack bag or back pack and it is long enough to secure 2-3 bikes together. I run the cable in-between front and rear tires because of the quick release tires and through the hole of the bike helmets so I don't have to carry helmets around.

Two OnGuard Rottweiler Armored cable locks: http://www.onguardlock.com/armoredcables/
They are too large and bulky to try and use on a normal ride unless you drape it over your shoulder. I had these for several years and secure the (e)bikes to each other on the vehicle bike rack when making a longer stop (out of sight stop) or when traveling out of town. Very easy to put on and I like they are so large and visible. Just a pain to store anywhere except in the trunk of a vehicle.

Xena XUL 210 with 110 dB alarm & Xena XSU-310 18mm u-locks
XUL-210: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
XSU-310: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Most major U-bolt brands made for bikes all had an u-tube video on how to defeat them (picking locks, bold cutters, freezing locks, hammers, etc...). I couldn't find any info during my search for defeating the Xena U-bolts. It has a plastic coating to prevent scratching the paint and you must cut it twice to remove because of the lock design. Took my time on eBay and purchased both locks for around the same price of one Kyptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 18mm.

Xena XC-14 14mm 5 foot security chain: https://www.amazon.com/Xena-XC14-Xc...878&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Xena+security+chain

Way too thick and heavy for daily use around town. I whip this out if I'm really worried about an overnight stay at a hotel with the bikes on the rack (sometimes thieves target out of state vehicles at hotels). Any chain in the +14mm size seems to stop every tool in the thief's arsenal except a grinder. I figure the 14mm chain secured with the two 18mm Xena U-bolts along with the Boomerang GPS would give me time and alert me if there was an issue.

Dual Bike Cover (Amazon, $46): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WENDUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this only with the bike rack if:
- I run into bad weather on the hwy
- keep the dew/frost off the bikes in the morning when on the vehicle rack
- if I need drive a ways on really dusty roads
- out of sight, out of mind overnight at a hotel

It only takes a few minutes to put on, large enough to encase both RR and Saris bike rack completely, and has translucent panels near both wheels for your brake lights. It also folds pretty small for easy vehicle storage (about the space of small twin size pillow). No way to secure the cover to the bike or rack unless to wrap everything in a +20ft cable lock.

Last edited:
I have two his/her Radrovers. The wife hardy rides hers and I use both to work commute (switch off weekly to keep the wear/tear/mileage about the same). I'm lucky to be able to store my RR in my server room on the 2nd floor and charge the battery during the day. I do travel with my RR and sometimes have to leave the bikes on the vehicle racks overnight at hotels if I can't take them inside the room. I use a layered security approach depending on what I can carry and how worried I am about a location.

CycolTrac Boomerang GPS: https://boomerangbike.com/
I have the two units on the down-tube of both Radrovers with a Zefal DT down-tube armor frame guard (Amazon, $18) protecting them from water and road debris. Boomerang uses the Verizon cell network to track both bikes on your smartphone or internet. You can also arm with an audible alarm with email/text alerts with the smartphone app (cant do with computer webpage). Alarm is pretty sensitive and you will be getting a lot of alerts if you secure at a busy bike rack. I even remove the GPS tracker and place in my car as a poor man's LoJack when traveling without the bikes (+20,000 miles per year on avg traveling in southwest).

15 foot 12mm plastic coated cable with round discus Master Lock. I use this if I need to make a quick stop and the bikes are never out of sight. It is very light and fits in my rack bag or back pack and it is long enough to secure 2-3 bikes together. I run the cable in-between front and rear tires because of the quick release tires and through the hole of the bike helmets so I don't have to carry helmets around.

Two OnGuard Rottweiler Armored cable locks: http://www.onguardlock.com/armoredcables/
They are too large and bulky to try and use on a normal ride unless you drape it over your shoulder. I had these for several years and secure the (e)bikes to each other on the vehicle bike rack when making a longer stop (out of sight stop) or when traveling out of town. Very easy to put on and I like they are so large and visible. Just a pain to store anywhere except in the trunk of a vehicle.

Xena XUL 210 with 110 dB alarm & Xena XSU-310 18mm u-locks
XUL-210: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
XSU-310: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Most major U-bolt brands made for bikes all had an u-tube video on how to defeat them (picking locks, bold cutters, freezing locks, hammers, etc...). I couldn't find any info during my search for defeating the Xena U-bolts. It has a plastic coating to prevent scratching the paint and you must cut it twice to remove because of the lock design. Took my time on eBay and purchased both locks for around the same price of one Kyptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 18mm.

Xena XC-14 14mm 5 foot security chain: https://www.amazon.com/Xena-XC14-Xc...878&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Xena+security+chain

Way too thick and heavy for daily use around town. I whip this out if I'm really worried about an overnight stay at a hotel with the bikes on the rack (sometimes thieves target out of state vehicles at hotels). Any chain in the +14mm size seems to stop every tool in the thief's arsenal except a grinder. I figure the 14mm chain secured with the two 18mm Xena U-bolts along with the Boomerang GPS would give me time and alert me if there was an issue.

Dual Bike Cover (Amazon, $46): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WENDUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this only with the bike rack if:
- I run into bad weather on the hwy
- keep the dew/frost off the bikes in the morning when on the vehicle rack
- if I need drive a ways on really dusty roads
- out of sight, out of mind overnight at a hotel

It only takes a few minutes to put on, large enough to encase both RR and Saris bike rack completely, and has translucent panels near both wheels for your brake lights. It also folds pretty small for easy vehicle storage (about the space of small twin size pillow). No way to secure the cover to the bike or rack unless to wrap everything in a +20ft cable lock.
Very nice post. You do a lot to secure your bike. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Boomerang, and given Court's video demonstration of it, it is pretty awful. I hope when I get my Sherlock tracker in a couple weeks that it works the way it was advertised, it is far cheaper than the Boomerang, with features that make the Boomerang obsolete. I equate the boomerang to a cable lock, it doesn't do much for someone actually willing to steal your bike. It is so simply unscrewed off the bike and tossed aside, and looks like it would take 1-2 whacks with a small wrench to destroy it.

The plastic coated cable you know is definitely not secure, but is certainly great for when you can see your bike since you can lock it to really anything with such a cable. Unfortunately even Masterlock's highest end locks are easily defeated. You can check out the Youtube channel of Wayne Winton to see a lot of security items tested including Abus. Through his testing, it can be seen that Abus is the best at creating hardened steel with the best weight to strength ratios. The only security chains that are tougher are double the weight if not more!

The Armored Cables you mentioned look pretty cool for a similar situation where you can see your bike. Unfortunately, they are easily defeated and while it may deter some thieves, it definitely won't have your mind at ease.

Unfortunately for Xena, this customer's experience ended in a swiftly and easily stolen motorcycle and no response from Xena customer service about the lock left behind in 2 pieces. Definitely not a company I would give my money to: https://mandrado.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/don-t-buy-xena-disc-lock-with-alarm/

With regards to the Xena U-lock, I did not do a ton of research, but I don't think they had the best security in mind. The U-lock is made of Stainless steel, which is great for corrosion resistance, but not much else in security. Stainless Steel is brittle, and they don't harden their Stainless Steel locks either. To me, it seems like it would be very susceptible to ice spray attacks and bolt cutters, despite their marketing. Stainless Steel works great for many things, but case hardened steel using a high end process is going to be stronger than Stainless Steel, by a ton.

I am skeptical about the chain as well, it is also not made of hardened steel, so no matter how thick it is, it will be cut. Also, having that chain is useless without an extremely high end lock to loop them together. I did a lot of research on Padlocks, and there weren't any that had my confidence. With that chain, all you need is to defeat the padlock. Even Masterlock's highest security padlock is easily cropped, and the locking core can be picked by anyone who spends 5 minutes on youtube, really simple and a joke among locksmiths.

The bike cover is cool, I thought about getting one but too much hassle for me.

Overall though, for someone on an average budget, you gave some great suggestions. Not everyone is willing to spend almost $300 per lock and a couple hundred on security bolts like I did. But really, in efficient markets and industries, you always get what you pay for. Locks and security is a huge industry, so discount options will discount the security level as well, irregardless of what their marketing department claims.

With the Abus locks, the Extreme chain is indeed quite heavy, but the chain with the integrated lock is highly secure compared to ones without integrated locks. The locking cores on Abus are great, very hard to pick. There is a youtube video of someone picking the U-lock, but it took him over 5 minutes with an extremely specialized tool specifically for that exact lock. Also, he used the key to the lock first to help him pick it.

In my opinion, if you Pitlock your components, you could use just the Extreme U-lock from Abus, and know that your bike will be the most secure one at least in your area. The U-lock can only be cut with an angle grinder or something else crazy like that, both sides have to be cut, so really it is just as plausible for someone to take an angle grinder to the bike rack as it is for them to take it to your U-lock. The bike rack, sign, or pole, would likely be faster to cut through. The U-lock is heavy, but my girlfriend uses it no problem and she is like 110 pounds. We do have electric bikes here, so hauling that U-lock is quite easy.

When I ride alone, I use the CityChain as it is secure enough for being left alone for short periods, and not too heavy. When she rides alone she uses the U-lock which is the most secure. When we ride together, we bring along the 68 inch Extreme chain so we can lock both of our bikes together to those huge telephone poles for the best security. If we were to ever leave the bikes for more than an hour or so out of sight, I would likely use all 3 of my locks.

That is what I like about the layered approach to bike security. You can add additional complexity and time to snatch a bike to either slow down or make the thief move to an easier target. If someone wants the bike, they will get it no matter how much $$$ we spend on locks, chains, or GPS devices. Every product has bad reviews. I just try to read as many as I can to get a feel to see if the negatives will be a downside on how/where/when I plan on using the security. I don't have a need to leave my bike in the open unattended area for hours/days except when at a hotel on the road. I also have a front/rear dash cam on my SUV and my USAA home owner's insurance covers me at $500 per incident at home or away.

I would adjust my security if I had a +$5,000 (e)bike. I'm satisfied my level of security is inline with my area of travel in the southwest.

I even noticed on my Saris SuperClamp Freedom 4 bike rack wasn't secured enough for me because the horizontal arm for the bikes are only secured by two bolts. You just need a adjustable wrench and Allen wrench to take the whole arm off with both bikes still attached and toss in the back of a pick-up. I had a local shop weld 12,000 lbs D-rings to the rack arm and I secure my locks/chains/cable to that also.

The two D-rings on center arm (you can see the two nuts/bolts on either rack arm):

Attachments

• D-rings.jpg
    D-rings.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,737
That is what I like about the layered approach to bike security. You can add additional complexity and time to snatch a bike to either slow down or make the thief move to an easier target. If someone wants the bike, they will get it no matter how much $$$ we spend on locks, chains, or GPS devices. Every product has bad reviews. I just try to read as many as I can to get a feel to see if the negatives will be a downside on how/where/when I plan on using the security. I don't have a need to leave my bike in the open unattended area for hours/days except when at a hotel on the road. I also have a front/rear dash cam on my SUV and my USAA home owner's insurance covers me at $500 per incident at home or away.

I would adjust my security if I had a +$5,000 (e)bike. I'm satisfied my level of security is inline with my area of travel in the southwest.

I even noticed on my Saris SuperClamp Freedom 4 bike rack wasn't secured enough for me because the horizontal arm for the bikes are only secured by two bolts. You just need a adjustable wrench and Allen wrench to take the whole arm off with both bikes still attached and toss in the back of a pick-up. I had a local shop weld 12,000 lbs D-rings to the rack arm and I secure my locks/chains/cable to that also.

The two D-rings on center arm (you can see the two nuts/bolts on either rack arm):
Yeah with that layered approach you described initially, no ones stealing your bike thats for sure. Your way is clearly successful since you still have your bike! I unfortunately am in a high theft city, so I wanted to do the best possible I could. I really appreciate the Pitlock bolts and just securing components in general because it allows me to quickly lock the top tube to the rack nice and easy. I just want some peace of mind, we are protecting $15,000 worth of bicycle, so it's great to feel confident that it can be secured just by locking the top tube each time. Anyone can steal a bike if they want it, I pay for Velosurance because I know no lock is completely secure, and I have to protect my investments. They would not be easily replaced! One stolen bike would negate any overall savings from just using a car.

That is a really cool solution for your bike rack!! I had a naked roof so I bought the high end Yakima roof system and Rockymounts crossbars so they could handle two 60 pound bikes, and it too can be disassembled with an allen key. The only thing blocking access to the bolts is a hard plastic cover over the bolts with some piece of crap locking cores! For this reason, I can never leave the bikes on the car out of sight. I have never had to do this yet, but it would be nice to secure it better. I couldn't weld a D-Ring to my roof but maybe I can use the long chain and lock the bikes to my steering wheel through a slightly open sunroof. Now that would be funny!

I've got the Riese and Muller Charger and I've been locking up at two public racks in downtown Detroit. Both are in front of high traffic office building entrances although sometimes I work until about 7pm and the foot traffic subsides quite a bit after 6pm. I have a security bolt on the seat post but my wheels are quick release. Thus my locking strategy involves two quality locks and two cables. First, I pass my Abus Bordo through the back wheel and triangle and lock it to the rack. Second, I pass a pretty thick cable that has two loop ends through the front tire and one loop through the other. The free loop end then fits over one of the arms on my Abus Granite Extreme u-lock. I pass a thinner double loop cable through the seat rails and secure the free loop on the Abus ulock as well. Then I lock the Abus ulock to the rack securing my frame. Thus my frame is secured by two separately keyed locks, my front wheel is secure and my back wheel is secured as is (somewhat) my seat post and seat. Then because I'm still paranoid, I make it a point to check my bike several times throughout the day. I've also become friendly with the building security guys and have asked them to keep an eye out (to which they always say they watch all the bikes all the time). I'm really not worried about theft given this strategy but more so vandalism or the theft of some small part I can't lock down (ie someone stealing my quick release bolts on the front wheel). I did also have the Boomerang GPS in place but recently it stopped communicating and I've taken it off the bike. I'm waiting to find out for sure if they are going to replace the device. I roughly followed this locking diagram in my strategy except I have two high quality locks locking the frame and I do not have locking skewers (but I do have a security bolt on the seat post):
bike.jpg

I never leave my ebikes out in public period. If I have to go to a business, I bring it inside if at all possible and then lock it if need be. If you ask first, you would be surprised at the businesses that say "yes" to this.

Back