Security of eBike

Never seen a production ebike that I wanted.
Well... I’m a rider similar to you. I like a completely custom bike the way I want it. That said hanging out here for a couple of years, reading most of the reviews, there’s some outrageous bikes out there. Your frame maker has a beauty, but with the wrong motor. That’s the hole I find in the choices. After riding BBSHD other kids are very responsive but the BBSHD is quicker, easier access to parts and repairs. Perhaps a bit like and old school VW aircooled motor in its hay day. Lots of parts, support, and rugged reliability. Some days a not quite polished diamond but still a great ride.

Your frame maker has a beauty <outrageous>, but with the wrong motor. That’s the hole I find in the choices.

You've said that a few times in different post and I agree every time. That's why I always say I wouldn't buy a production ebike, no one builds a bike like what I have. Tout Terrain started the pinion gearbox in the Panamericana frame, then puss'ed out and used an off the shelf motor rather than innovating. My ebike Panamericana is a built ebike wearing a new BBSHD not a purchased Tout Terrain produced ebike with some ridiculously small motor. The Riese and Muller Delite is the only thing close to my bike and I have never seen a picture of one wearing front panniers. Both the Tout Terrain ePanamericana and the Delite are more along the line of over-spec'd commuters. Riding a fully suspended bike designed to carry heavy panniers rock solid with the HD and Rohloff is pretty magic. I don't think there is anything outrageous about my set-up since it gets used daily. Outrageous to me is anyone with multiple bike that doesn't really ride much at all... collectors. Like Leno not driving. Cheers.

Attachments

• 20190804_125024 (2).jpg
    20190804_125024 (2).jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 20190405_170523 (2).jpg
    20190405_170523 (2).jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 326
You've said that a few times in different post and I agree every time.
More than one? 3? If it’s 4 I’ll blame my CRS. (Can’t remember s*it) Threads have different OP’s and hopefully repetition is a help in different contexts.;)

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone buys an ebike rather than finding the perfect bike and hanging a BBSHD on it.

then puss'ed out and used an off the shelf motor rather than innovating.
My biggest complaint. The market is still small, making innovative parts expensive and exclusive. I’d like to see a motor like BBSxx but with a more consistent build, excellent off the shelf parts support, and upgraded final build testing. I’ve spent hours trying to help customers run down a single parts on several other innovative motors. I think the bike Ravi configured and shared here is an example of a build with great consideration for market available parts and components.
don't think there is anything outrageous about my set-up
i wasn’t clear outrageous as, out of the ordinary. An unusually slick build.

You've said that a few times in different post and I agree every time. That's why I always say I wouldn't buy a production ebike, no one builds a bike like what I have. Tout Terrain started the pinion gearbox in the Panamericana frame, then puss'ed out and used an off the shelf motor rather than innovating. My ebike Panamericana is a built ebike wearing a new BBSHD not a purchased Tout Terrain produced ebike with some ridiculously small motor. The Riese and Muller Delite is the only thing close to my bike and I have never seen a picture of one wearing front panniers. Both the Tout Terrain ePanamericana and the Delite are more along the line of over-spec'd commuters. Riding a fully suspended bike designed to carry heavy panniers rock solid with the HD and Rohloff is pretty magic. I don't think there is anything outrageous about my set-up since it gets used daily. Outrageous to me is anyone with multiple bike that doesn't really ride much at all... collectors. Like Leno not driving. Cheers.

Well done!

BTW, Leno drives all his cars... just one at a time! ;)

Last edited:
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone buys an ebike rather than finding the perfect bike and hanging a BBSHD on it.
Well it’s rather plain Jane compared to your frame and components. It’s more industrial in a sense. And that 150rpm throws some avid cyclists off. I used to hear it called clown pedaling. But we’ve learned to tweak programming and I think open source access to programming may be sooner than later. Much like the TSDZ2 on endless_sphere.

My biggest complaint. The market is still small, making innovative parts expensive and exclusive. I’d like to see a motor like BBSxx but with a more consistent build, excellent off the shelf parts support, and upgraded final build testing. I’ve spent hours trying to help customers run down a single parts on several other innovative motors. I think the bike Ravi configured and shared here is an example of a build with great consideration for market available parts and components.

i wasn’t clear outrageous as, out of the ordinary. An unusually slick build.

If China built a great, well designed, durable motor they couldn't get people to buy new ones at 10K miles rather than to attempt a rebuild. My original BBS02 didn't even have gaskets when it was made. The case was just machine to index together. Rather than trying to find parts 4 generations old I just bought an HD My biggest complaint is that I have to look outside the U.S. to buy a mid-drive motor.

Rather than trying to find parts 4 generations old
You wouldn’t have. I have a couple BBS01’s from 2014 and when they break they’re done unless I get lucky and my parted out bits are what I need. Never abused and well cared for they’ve got many mechanical miles left. Knock wood. But a controller replacement is out of the question. And we know from several sources the PCB and build quality can pretty mediocre on some motors. And when it comes to China resellers someone slips poor builds into the market. A big reason to avoid some resellers on Aliexpress.

It just makes me sad that no other company American or not can compete with BaFang. I like the HD and hope that I can get 15K out of it before any rebuild, but just wish I had some other vendor options for an after-market mid-drive. Some competition would just help build a better drive. How can you think Rohloff's are over-kill? I won't own another bike without one, and I'm on a limited budget... retired military here, not a huge disposable income. They <Rohloffs> spoil the s*it out of you once you own one. I can start up a steep incline, even fully loaded and realize a little late (Translation: Way too late) that I am in too tall a gear and shift down 4, 5, even 6 gears in a single second and be back on the pedals or throttle without a hitch and not looking like a fool stalling out. If I start out fully loaded on a level surface like a loaded 18-wheeler, in 1st gear and just use the throttle, the watt-hours per mile jumps to between 15 and 20 then drops off to 0, back to 15 then 0. Off the throttle, shift to 2nd, on throttle and wh per mile go to 15/20... I increase speed and it fluctuates between 0 and 20 again as it maintains the new speed. 3rd gear, 4th, 5th, all the way to 14th and it continues to run on very low watt-hours per mile through every gear. It's not just 15 wh per mile in 14 gear at power level 9 and doing above 35 mph but it's way lower than you would think. If I get the speed up with my old ass legs and feather the throttle on and I save even more. It's when I am in power level 4 and 5th gear starting out that the watt-hours per mile jumps to 150 until I hit the top speed for that gear. Wouldn't it be in China's best interests to sell the best quality BaFang products on Aliexpress and sell the faulty stuff to small companies overseas?

Thanks for writing Tom. Sorry if I sounded gruff or pissy, I guess I am my father's son, or just a dick head.

All good here. A definite curmudgeon. Opinionated and comfortable being so. I’m to stretched out with projects and not enough of a distance rider to effectively utilise a Rohloff. But agree, for your use it’s the logical choice. I’m regressing. Once my MAC stepthrough from frame up build is finished it’s a pair of 250w BBS01B folders. Bikes to throw in the cage a use for short rides while touring area cities and events transport. Bring less than able the folders, fairly light with 10mile capacity batteries, kind of wheelchair but needing bicycle balance. If that makes sense. I have a couple of loaners and my basic grocery hauler. I wanted to try all general styles of builds, so I did.

Time ticks away fast man. You got to Make the time for yourself. You may not be a "long-distance" rider but 3 rides a day of 15 miles is still 45 miles. Ya got all those bike... go ride the s*it out of 'em.

Can you recommend a great shop bike repair stand. I am thinking the Park Tool PRS-25 Team Repair Stand. It holds 100 lbs. (weight centered over the legs, yeah, no s*it). But I want to be able to spin my bike to any and every angle to work on. Even with the battery out the bike is h e a v y. not 100 lbs. but... I want the stand rock solid. I'm tired of working hard and want to work smart. Most shops have large bold down fully rotatable stands. Got any suggestions?

Update on the alarm (was am from Amazon).
it started making 3 beep sounds. Telling me that the batteries need to be changing. Given that these were original cheep Chinese batteries they lasted a month. I had the alarm armed for many nights during summer nights when we had the door open for fresh air.
the battery exchange was a breeze. I have good Duracell batteries in and will see how long they last.
I still enjoy this additional cheap peace of mind.

Last I changed the battery was Oct 11. Today the alarm made three beep again indicating the batteries need changing. 20 days is not
long enough specially that ali have not used the alarm much.
The write up says 10 months.

Attachments

• 3E2D262F-D612-4073-984D-98B5AFB9E796.jpeg
    3E2D262F-D612-4073-984D-98B5AFB9E796.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 316
Back