Second ebike to keep at work

mams99

So last year I was trying to decide on a bike that would be good for around my community. One that I could use for grocery shopping and running errands and so forth. It’s able to take a passenger and that was a bonus.

In the end I decided to get the Pedego Stretch and I have not regretted it one instant. , maybe more than one instant. I love it so much that I want bike for my office.

I work 20 miles from my office and it is not a commutable 20 miles. Plus, my office is very small and a folding bike would be needed. I work at the tip of Washington DC, right next to all the shopping in Silver Spring and also great bike riding areas nearby with rock Creek Par. and nice neighborhoods.

There Are no stairs to my office. I do not need to travel by train. Basically, it’s just for touring around Silver Spring. I would like to be able to take it home if I wanted, so it would need to fit in a regular sedan. Another reason it really needs to be folded.

Since I spent a fortune on the Pedego, I do not want to spend a fortune on a second bike. If it’s too hilly, however to have it not be electric. Plus I am just getting back into fitness and I would get too frustrated without pedal assist. However, I will use pedal assist only when I absolutely need it.

Thebikes I’m thinking about Velomini Plus. Too small? Lack of features?

The volt urban or the Green bike G5. Both are priced about the same price - around a $1000 price point so it is $300 cheaper than The velomini and it seems to have more features and is bigger. However it also weighs quite a bit more, so hauling it to and from work would be more difficult.

The green bike seems great for this urban setting too. But the volt urban is lighter.

I am up for thinking about other options too. I just want to keep it under $1300. I have thought about buying used, but I’m really hesitant when it comes to bikes with batteries.

Advice and experience appreciated.

Why not invest in a tow-hitch and rack instead? This'd keep your outlay below about $500, and you can take your bike EVERYWHERE you go!

On a loosely related note, I was investigating bike-friendly neighborhoods around DC last year on Google Maps (a buddy lives in Mt. Vernon, and I was gonna Amtrak my bike down to Union Station and bike the trail south), and was struck by the DC boundaries; of specific interest was the Northern point you'd described. Do these two homeowners pay taxes to different municipalities? Makes telling your friends where you live pretty easy too!
2018-03-21_16-18-23.jpg

On a loosely related note, I was investigating bike-friendly neighborhoods around DC last year on Google Maps (a buddy lives in Mt. Vernon, and I was gonna Amtrak my bike down to Union Station and bike the trail south), and was struck by the DC boundaries; of specific interest was the Northern point you'd described. Do these two homeowners pay taxes to different municipalities? Makes telling your friends where you live pretty easy too!
View attachment 20438
Huh... no idea! But that is about 3-4 blocks from where I work. :) I know our building's elevator was inspected by MD, but we're in DC. It's been a problem since it was put in about 12 years ago! :)

Why not invest in a tow-hitch and rack instead? This'd keep your outlay below about $500, and you can take your bike EVERYWHERE you go!

Maybe I need to watch a youtube on this - one how easy and quick to use. Another "issue" is parking at my work is SHORT, so I would have to park elsewhere, I suppose, but that isn't usually a big deal.

Now, we are planning on buying a new car soon.... so there is that wrinkle too. Right now, it would make no sense as it would cost more to get a hitch installed and a good rack. With new car, we have said we will FOR SURE get one with a hitch or put a hitch on...makes me wonder...

Thanks for the suggestion

Jus did some searching and asking. I would not want to deal with this several days a week. And I absolutely do not have room to store the stretch for the week, say.

I would go for a lightweight folding e-bike, I have one myself and depending on the brand, they are really easy to fold and travel with, like on public transport. Go for one with a solid frame and a good battery and powerful motor, so you know you're getting the best deal.

Back