seat post theft??

Larry Lechner

I just ordered a high dollar suspension seat post and am a bit concerned about someone ripping it off if I park it for long on campus. Anyone had any experience on this or any advice?
Thanks in advance.

I've seen plenty of people pushing their bike with no seat on it. I don't have a high dollar post, but replaced the quick release with a bolt and lock nut. I've been doing this for many years with several bikes, and haven't had a seat stolen yet.

Do not use a quick release seatpost clamp I use one with a 6mm hex bolt and a Hexlox security insert in the hex socket that makes it impossible to remove without the coded key. Look up Hexlox on line. They are in Germany. You can also replace your front and rear axle with one of theirs with inserts that use the same key. It makes your wheels and seatpost impossible to take without the key (or taking the whole bike) I also have one in my stem bolts securing the handlebar as well.

People steal quick release seats and throw them away just for meanness. Same with quick release front wheels. They are not selling them to the pawn shop; they are pitching them into the next dumpster. I saw two bike frames chained to poles Sunday after Derby 3 years ago, missing wheel & seat.
I removed the quick release mechanism that came with my bodaboda and replaced the seat one with a 6mm - 40mm Allen bolt. + elastic stop nut. No special tool required to remove but a 6 mm allen wrench and a 10 mm open end wrench. I carry those in the pannier bag. So far 15 months parking on the street daily, no problem.
OTOH on campus your thieves have more smarts than the average street dude. Obvious visible marking with your name might help.

Thanks to all, that's pretty much what I was thinking, replace the quick release with a plastic insert lock nut and use an allen or torx screw.

A friend I occasionally ride with used one of those proprietary locking clamps with his Bodyfloat seat post. Someone with a 6mm allen wrench stole his expensive Brooks saddle off the top of it.

When you lock your post, don't forget about the seat.

I use a rear rack bag with a shoulder strap. When I lock up and leave the bike, I put my Thudbuster post & Spiderflex seat (worth around $300) on top of the bag using a bungee and carry it with me.

This will seem like a v-e-r-y stupid question... but how do you replace the quick-release thingy with a non-quick-release-thingy? The allen wrench type seems fine to me--I just want to prevent an opportunistic thief who might just open the quick-release and grab my seat and leave me not being able to get home.

This will seem like a v-e-r-y stupid question... but how do you replace the quick-release thingy with a non-quick-release-thingy? The allen wrench type seems fine to me--I just want to prevent an opportunistic thief who might just open the quick-release and grab my seat and leave me not being able to get home.

The easiest way is to buy one, undo the quick release, lift the seat pot off the bike, lift the quick release off and put the allen head on instead ( make sure the gaps line up) , then slide in the post and tighten the allen key.

If you want to save a few $ then take an allen key tool to the nearest university....and swap your quick release for the paranoid uni students allen key clamp. You'll be doing them a huge favour, they'll freak out and save a fortune by stopping whatever drugs they used last night.

The easiest way is to buy one, undo the quick release, lift the seat pot off the bike, lift the quick release off and put the allen head on instead ( make sure the gaps line up) , then slide in the post and tighten the allen key.

If you want to save a few $ then take an allen key tool to the nearest university....and swap your quick release for the paranoid uni students allen key clamp. You'll be doing them a huge favour, they'll freak out and save a fortune by stopping whatever drugs they used last night.
Haha...post if the day ?

TRY to lock your ride in View of a Active Surveillance camera !! Thieves usually Know which ones are Active, so You should too ! Thieves don't like being watched . ?

I just ordered a high dollar suspension seat post and am a bit concerned about someone ripping it off if I park it for long on campus. Anyone had any experience on this or any advice?
Thanks in advance.

I only have QR on my Terns. On my commuters, as others have mentioned, I replaced the clamp with a locking bolt version (Specialized). I also purchased torx security saddle bolts from Fortified Bikes. But with the commuters, I also cable the saddle through the rails just to discourage any attempts.

1555324280470.png

There are many different clamp brands out there with a huge difference in price. You don't ride a mountain bike so a relatively inexpensive one such as this should work well:

41XGodMgiLL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Pro-...eatpost+clamp&qid=1555329945&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The trick is to order the right size. With the seat post removed, you need to measure the diameter at the top of your seat post tube. On some seat post clamps, the diameter is stamped into the body of the clamp. The measurement needs to be accurate to within a tenth of a millimeter.

Your friendly LBS can do this for you. They may even have a clamp in stock that will fit.

Also, why don't you just install removable pedals. Lots of difference types available. This discourages total theft so they can't ride away.

Decades ago I road a Schwinn Paramount with a Brookes saddle. The first week on campus. the seat and post were stolen. From then on we took our seat off if left in a vulnerable spot.
These days I look for a campus camera and park near and in it's view. I run a cable through the frame of my newest Brookes. Saddle and stem are over $250!

Decades ago I road a Schwinn Paramount with a Brookes saddle. The first week on campus. the seat and post were stolen. From then on we took our seat off if left in a vulnerable spot.
These days I look for a campus camera and park near and in it's view. I run a cable through the frame of my newest Brookes. Saddle and stem are over $250!

On a Qualisport Dolphin, the quick-released seatpost IS the >USD$400, 8lb, 36V Battery. Almost half the bike's value right there! Once you've swapped out the quick releases for allen hex bolts, you can simply fill the hex cavity with a bead of wax, glue, or superglue a ball bearing in there. A cheaper solution than the locking nut kits. Remember not to neglect the headset or the bolts under your seat too. Attached are some hacks from Brooks Saddle forum.

Attachments

• 6a30dc119dd981a4da22058bc1852d8e.jpg
    6a30dc119dd981a4da22058bc1852d8e.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 594
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 519
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 505
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 547
  • Pitlock_Seatpost_Lanyard_In_large.jpg
    Pitlock_Seatpost_Lanyard_In_large.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 590
  • Saddle Leash big.gif
    Saddle Leash big.gif
    199 KB · Views: 802
  • project-b-pic-of-chain-through-saddle.jpg
    project-b-pic-of-chain-through-saddle.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 596
do it the cool way with a pitlock. I use these on my wheel and seatpost. it may be cheaper buit it is ugly or hard to change.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 506
do it the cool way with a pitlock. I use these on my wheel and seatpost. it may be cheaper buit it is ugly or hard to change.

With a seat tether, for short low-medium risk stops, on a college-student budget, one can keep the quick release seat post clamp allowing multiple rider height adjustments, and no other hardware required for under seat mounts etc. Just another solution for those without hundreds to spend on premium German hardware, cool as it may be.

Back