Seat Light Removal?

Cliffy

I will pick up my 2015 Turbo X on Sunday. :)

I have a 15 year old mtn bike saddle that is just perfect for me and was wondering about swapping seats. How hard is it to remove the rear light and rig it to another seat? From other posts this seems doable.... Also when I get a rack- is the wire long enough to attach the light to it? Note -I do not plan on getting the city kit, I will probably get an off brand that fits.

Also thanks to the forum, reading/searching really helped narrow my search and make my selection.

The seat light is removable I believe.......just from looking at it. It would be a matter of adapting it to your existing seat. I changed my seat post to a Thudbuster, the wire that is routed through the post unplugs below the post in the frame. There is enough extra wire to easily get to it. Getting the light to a rack is another matter. Specialized makes a fender rack kit that is set up to mount the light on the rack. It comes with the extra wire needed. The wire is routed partially on the outside of the frame. There is an installation vedio on the web site...... sorry I don't have a link. The Specialized kit is $300, that was too much for me. I went aftermarket and have a good Cat Eye light on my rack. You can find my set up on the forum here if you haven't already seen it.

The light is removable. It's a standard rack tail light with 50mm spacing. I don't think the wire would be long enough to reach a rack without a splice. They use the standard 3mm spade connectors. The custom Specialized bracket could probably be adapted to another seat but I didn't look that closely when I changed seats. The tail light in the city kit is the same light assembly as the saddle light.

Thanks! You all have provided the insight I was looking for. Sounds like the Cat's Eye on the rack may be the best option for me. Hopefully one day my insight will help others.....

I am a fan of permanently attached wired lights so that if I am riding the lights are on. You can look on the Supernova web site (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) to see what it looks like out of the seat bracket. It's a version of the rack mount light. The city kit comes with a different tail light but it's easy to mount the seat light on a rack.

Back