Scwalbe Marathon Plus

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
Put these dandies on my Explorer +2 after having blowout like experience with stock tires. I had them on my conventional Trek and never got a flat. They are equally wonderful on the Explorer. Question: Will the speedo and odo readouts be off with the new tires. My usual 20 km trip seemed to register about 18.5. Is there any way of correcting?

Same problem on same bike after upgrade to Big Apples. Ride suites me fine but my mileage and speed functions are way off. I don't know of a hack to adjust the outer tire size from 700c to 29" on the RideControl app but I bet one exists.

Your local bike shop, LBS should be able to adjust the wheel diameter using the dealer software tools.

Put these dandies on my Explorer +2 after having blowout like experience with stock tires. I had them on my conventional Trek and never got a flat. They are equally wonderful on the Explorer. Question: Will the speedo and odo readouts be off with the new tires. My usual 20 km trip seemed to register about 18.5. Is there any way of correcting?

Before doing any correcting, I'd first find out if your original 20 km trip is really 20 km. It's possible some error exists in the original programming. Who knows? The 18.5 km might be more accurate.

Using a GPS to measure distance is not the best approach. Better to scale it using a good topo map or Google Earth. The best way is to accurately measure your wheel & tire circumference and count wheel revolutions. This is the only way to correctly account for elevation change.

What was the size of the stock tires? What size are the new ones?

IF they are the same, the readouts (speed, distance) should be the same. But if the tires are a different size, my understanding is that there is no way (not even the dealer) to recalibrate the computer for the new size.

20 to 18.5km. It’s a big difference for a tire change. If my logic works it’s like your wheel circumference increased 7%.

Yep, I could be a bit off on this. Like it was suggested in an earlier response, I am not being very scientific. My bike tec said the bike would be off by about half a kilometer per hour reading the speedo. I have a couple of other routes I will try before confirming just how off it is. The stock tires were quite thick and knobby and the Schwalbes are more of a smooth tread you find on road bikes. I am not all hung up on it because the security of less liklihood of a flat and the smoothness of the new ride is worth it. I realize it is a simple thing just to check size of old tires agains the size of new.

Back